Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 23:22

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2013, 16:41 

Hello, I was wondering if someone could help me out with this. I have 4 monitors total that I'd like to use on my GTX 660. 3 of these monitors are the same and I'd like to use those in Eyefinity for gaming. To my understanding, I need an Active DVI to Displayport adapter to run my first 3 monitors in Surround. Can someone show me where to a good place to buy these is? Or what a good brand is?

For the fourth monitor, I don't know if that's even compatible or if it's possible to get a DVI to HDMI adaptor?

Any help if greatly appreciated. Thanks!

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2013, 00:33 
Editors
Editors

Do you have one of these ?

2x DVI 1x HDMI and 1x DP Connector ?

What about your Monitors? do they all have DVI inputs ?

For Adapters there is this (rather short) List from AMD: http://support.amd.com/en-us/recommende ... y-adapters

Active Adapters are not that expensive anymore. You can get them for 15-30$
The best would be to buy them at a local shop. If you have any problems with the adapter you can just go back into the shop and say "gimme another brand! this one does not work!"

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2013, 03:26 

Yes, it's a Gigabyte Windforce but it has the connections that you're listing.

Yes, they are all VGA and DVI inputs.

For the fourth screen, the only active DVI to HDMI adapters that I've seen (provided that's what I need?), cost $80.00. For that much money, I'll probably just buy a second GTX 660 and SLI them. I could use one of the DVI outputs on that second card, for my fourth screen, correct?

Thank you for that link. That is really helpful!

I just thought about it though, I did mistakenly buy an active Mini Displayport to DVI adapter. Would it work to just buy a Mini Displayport to Displayport adapter instead of a regular Displayport to DVI adapter? That way I wouldn't have to ship it back.

Thank you, again!

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2013, 06:18 
Editors
Editors

You were looking for Dual Link DVI Adapters ? i have a HDMI-DVI adapter here, came in box with my Sapphire HD7970. But i have no idea where to buy them.

Yes, AFAIK you can run different Connections from the 2nd GPU in a SLI.

MiniDP to DP is no difference, except the Size of the connector.
So you can easily plug a miniDP->DVI Adapter into a DP-miniDP Adapter.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2013, 16:02 

I'm looking for single link adapters. At this point, just the HDMI one.

I'll do that if I can't find a cord that is reasonably priced.

And I will be doing that as well then.

Thank you! You've been very helpful.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2013, 21:21 
Insiders
Insiders

Hello, and welcome to WSGF :welcome

I can see that you want to run 3 monitors in surround. This being the case, can I ask why you need active adapters at all?

From what I can tell, you can just run 2 dvi cables direct to 2 monitors, then use any basic cheap hdmi to dvi adapter to turn your hdmi port on the video card into a dvi port, and use a dvi cable to the third monitor. Then you wouldn't need to use the displayport at all! Unlike on AMD cards (or at least the HD6950 I used to have), nv surround doesn't require you to use the displayport.

I know this works, because it's exactly what I do now, on my nvidia GTX 670 :)

Let me know if this helps, or you need other info.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2013, 16:23 

I did not know this! I must have not done enough research to figure that out. That is very helpful.

Just to clarify though, I don't need an active cable to run from my dvi to hdmi port?

Thank you!

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2013, 19:38 
Insiders
Insiders

eyefinity3 wrote:
I did not know this! I must have not done enough research to figure that out. That is very helpful.

Just to clarify though, I don't need an active cable to run from my dvi to hdmi port?

Thank you!

Yes correct. Here is what I use: http://www.kenable.co.uk/product_info.p ... ts_id=4329

It's very cheap, and works absolutely fine. Note this particular one needs you to use a DVI-D cable (which you probably do anyway). Better ones are available, and a little higher in price.