Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 18:38

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2013, 01:57 

I just bought the latest Skyrim legendary edition from Steam.
I was hoping to get it running across my 3 mons with nvidia surround, but no matter what I try It keeps giving me the message:

"Failed to initialize renderer. Your display doesn't support the selected resolution. Please set a different resolution in Skyrim's Launcher"

I have read many threads about this issue and no solution works for me.

My highest native resolution is 4320x900. I have edited the SkyrimPrefs.ini and added my res to iSize H/iSize W.

I have tried manually adding lower resolutions also, nothing i try works.
The game runs just fine on single monitor.

My 780GTX drivers are up to date also.

Has anyone got some things I could try.. Itching to play this game in surround.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2013, 11:50 

Did you by any chance make a typo when entering the resolution values?
Or did you swap the Height and Width values?
iSize H should be 900, iSize W should be 4320 instead of the other way around. Sounds silly but i seem to remember once making the same mistake myself, since usually the width comes before the height. :P

Considering the error you're getting it sounds like there's either something wrong with your drivers, or something trivial like what i mentioned above.
Do other games work correctly?

LG 34UM95-P (3440x1440) + 2x Dell U2412M; MSI GeForce GTX 970 GAMING 4G in 2-SLI; i5 4690k w/ Mugen 4 PCGH; 16GB Crucial; MSI Z97-G45 GAMING; Crucial M500 480GB; Corsair Enthusiast TX750M; CM Storm Scout 2

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2013, 12:10 

Oraijon wrote:
Did you by any chance make a typo when entering the resolution values?
Or did you swap the Height and Width values?
iSize H should be 900, iSize W should be 4320 instead of the other way around. Sounds silly but i seem to remember once making the same mistake myself, since usually the width comes before the height. :P

Considering the error you're getting it sounds like there's either something wrong with your drivers, or something trivial like what i mentioned above.
Do other games work correctly?

Hi Oraijon, Yeh I have them the correct way around in the ini, just wrote it backwards here..
Interestingly I have no issues with other games ie, crysis 3, grid 2 etc.

After seeing many successful ATI vids on youtube, starting to regret going with nvidia for a high end card :/

The error message im getting is a common one on the nvidia forums, although for different games/situations.

I'm getting ready to buy 3 new matching monitors to fix this problem (I have one odd monitor out, which although same size, seems to have different polarity/timing - and results in the 4320x900 highest res... Im hoping if I can get to 5760x1080 it will fix..

and if it doesn't.. i will have a lot of broken monitors lying around :)

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2013, 12:14 

Hey nebularising, when i had a nvidia 3 monitor setup i had to patch skyrimm first (but being a legendary edition i dont now, also i did this about a year ago). Then i had to search for a widescreen patch and apply this BEFORE running the game (The FOV was also adjustable) and it worked and looked awesome :D
It did hit me hard in the fps though (Was running 2x gtx560's on 3x 1600x900 screens).

Another option is using softTH to get it going for now (ITS FREE!!!).... http://softth.com/?page_id=92
I got it going on 15 screens and an ATI 7970 (4000x1800) If you try this and the game crashes about a second or two after loading up then set VBquirk=1 in the config file (Worked for me but i was using ati not nvidia) also try nonlocal transport = cuda32 (i think) instead of rgb16d. Its supposed to help fps but softTH only works in dx9 so make sure it set right.

Just be warned i think softTH causes skyrimm to bug, when i used this on my game i could not apply skill points when i leveled up. (but looks great on a 2m x 1m screen)

PS: I agree with Oraijon, test the system with a game that should work but i remember when i was using skyrimm IT NEEDED A WIDESCREEN PATCH. (Damn bethesda games are awesome :thumbup: )

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2013, 12:22 

For the widesreen fixes these names are familiar, HaYDeN and Helifax's fixes?

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2013, 12:27 

simroz wrote:
For the widesreen fixes these names are familiar, HaYDeN and Helifax's fixes?

awesome dude, going to look into this. Will post back after some tests!

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2013, 13:14 

About the monitors.... Nvidia is not forgiving in this area and i had a problem with this.
I had 3x samsung 20' monitors and i purchased an aftermarket VGA cable. When i used it this changed the way the monitor was detected (Went from generic PnP to non Pnp) just by the cable so if you are using a non OEM cable this can cause issues (Although probably not cause you said the monitor is different).
Just letting you know to save some possible headache.