Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 15:52

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Surround on a M18x
PostPosted: 24 May 2013, 23:15 

Hello, I have an Alienware M18x rig with two GTX 580M's and am not seeing the option for surround in my NVidia Control Panel, I have been looking around and not seeing anything on how to fix this so I am starting to wonder if its even possible for gaming laptops even with SLI cards, any help would be appreciated, thanks :)

Post subject: Re: Surround on a M18x
PostPosted: 24 May 2013, 23:25 
Editors
Editors

Hi,

I have no idea if Nvidia Mobile GPU supports Surround. Just because it says GTX 580M doesn't mean its the same as a Desktop GTX580!

Does your Laptop even have the connections for 2 additional Monitors ? and even if it has VGA + HDMI ports, can you use two at once ?

PostPosted: 24 May 2013, 23:37 

Hi and thanks for the reply. I have Monitor 1 plugged into the HDMI out, Monitor 2 plugged into my DVI port and monitor 3 I have plugged into one of my USB 3.0's using a USB to HDMI adapter. They all work perfectly but like I said no option to enable surround in the control panel, and after I updated my drivers last night the only option in the control panel is to use stereoscopic 3D, so I am thinking im SoL but figured if there was a solution you guys would have it.

PostPosted: 25 May 2013, 01:32 

That being said I just want to know if its even possible to run surround using GTX 580M's or any kind of laptop with SLI.

PostPosted: 25 May 2013, 02:54 
Editors
Editors

This won't work! Because of the USB-> HDMI adapter! This is not driven by your GPU but by your CPU. So it's not connected to the GPU and thus you only have 2 Monitors you can control via Nvidia Manager for Surround.

IF it is possible to run Eyefinity/Surround from a Laptop.... well yes, the new AMD Laptops with DP out supports up to 4 monitors via MST hub! and Eyefinity group should work fine.

but for the GTX580... as stated before... i have no idea. Maybe someone else knows.

PostPosted: 25 May 2013, 03:12 

Thanks for the info Haldi, thats what I was afraid of, I also doubt it would even work at all even with just my 2 monitors since I do not have that option, oh well at least i know what my next rig will be :)