Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 07:35

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2012, 18:11 

Does anyone have any experience with big large HDTV compatible with Surround View?

the set I've used it's awesome, but unfortunately it has coloration problem due the nVidia Surround View

full review here http://www.overclock.net/t/1340091/its- ... t_18887237

so, now I'm shopping for another set that will work properly with the nVidia Surround View

Ideally the HDTV should have DVI ports or DisplayPorts

DVI to HDMI was the cause of the problem from the LG 42 42CS560

i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(2x), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(2x), Seagate 3TB(6x), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2012, 16:08 
Editors
Editors

are there any TV with DisplayPort?

so you have knowledge about TV for gaming?
i've always wanted to ask. are there any Bad points compared to a Computer Monitor?
except the 1920x1080 Resolution spanned over 40".....
new TV should be able to handle 60hz Input via DVI right? Not Like the old One which limited on 24hz.
oh, And These awesome 800hz dont work right? thats only interpolated? works only for Videos And Not on Games, or only with huge Input lag... ?
what about the reaction time of TV monitors ? is it equal to Gaming monitors? or way to slow?

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2012, 18:13 

using HDTV to replace monitors is a hassle
a lot of research are involved

main predominant issues to be aware of:
- input lag time (game reaction time, anything over 16ms is bad)
- Edge Lid (light leak by the edges) vs Direct Lid (good)
- LED (real black) vs LCD (washed-out black)
- HDMI input only most of them, even when you use DVI to HDMI coverter or cable, you might still see some compatibility issues (that's the problem i had with nVidia GTX 690, it works fine with ATI/AMD HD7970)
- price might be a factor
- not supported by nVidia 3D Surround View
- smart HDTV vs. plain HDTV
- color reproduction
- Overscan issues
- needs to configure HDTV to PC mode, or Game mode

... i think that's pretty much it, i'm sure i forgot to list a few other minor little things.

i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(2x), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(2x), Seagate 3TB(6x), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2013, 23:37 

Hi, I'm using TVs as monitors and maybe I just chose the right ones, but I have no issues with them and they behave very similar to normal monitors.

Quote:
- input lag time (game reaction time, anything over 16ms is bad)

Yep, they have input lag, but that's really a personal thing. Some people cannot play on other than CRT or very, very fast LCD panels. I can feel the difference between CRT and my TVs but it's not bad at all and when I don't compare them I cannot see input lag and it doesn't make the experience worse.

Quote:
- Edge Lid (light leak by the edges) vs Direct Lid (good)

Almost all LCDs use edge backlight. Edge is in both monitors and TVs. Also those "leaks" are not caused by backlight. Even old CCFL LCDs have had that problem.

Quote:
- LED (real black) vs LCD (washed-out black)

There's no such thing as LED monitors. There are CCFL LCD and LED LCD. Both have washed out blacks, although LED backlight is much, much better. The main difference is in panel type, and to be honest it's much easier these days to find IPS or VA panel inside a TV than inside a monitor. There are OLED monitors and TVs coming (and they'll have true black) but it's going to take a while.

Quote:
- color reproduction

This one depends only onpanel type. You can get TN, VA or IPS in monitors as well as on TVs, so color reproduction is not different between TVs and monitors.

Quote:
- Overscan issues

Depends on a TV. Most doesn't do that, and in most that do its an "easy fix".

Quote:
- needs to configure HDTV to PC mode, or Game mode

You can play on whatever mode there is, only there'll be much more input lag. And "configuring" tv to pc or game is straight forward (like 3-4 steps).