Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:07

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2010, 15:45 

For Nvidia 3D vision surround do the monitors have to be all in a straight line or can you wrap around ?

I have a corner table only and have to wrap around if I go with three
monitors . I'll have to go with ATI Eyefinity if this is the case. Actually
I had decided to go Eyefinity but couldln't find the card . Either way
I'll have to be patient and wait it out.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2010, 19:17 
Administrators
Administrators

Typically you will position and rotate your monitors so that when you are sitting in you normal position all 3 screens point directly at you, its very rare for someone to position them in a straight line.

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2010, 20:16 

Afaik you might have to line up your three displays to look at 3D Vision properly. At CES nvidia did. But we'll get an answe in march when the Fermi-Monster will go into retail.

Intel i7 980X | MSI Big Bang Xpower X58 | 12GB G.Skill Pi Black DDR3-1600 | Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X 2GB | 2x Intel X-25M 160GB | SB X-Fi | Seasonic X-750 | Silverstone FT01 black | 3x HP ZR24w @ 5760x1200 Triplehead

AMD X2 4800+ | Gigabyte K8N Ultra-SLI | 2GB Kingston VS DDR1-400 | Zotac GTX260 AMP! + Gigabyte 8400GS | 3x Samsung HD 2.1TB | SB X-Fi | Seasonic M12-600 | Chieftec CS-601 blue | Dell 2407WFP + Dell 1707FP Dualhead

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2010, 19:59 

Typically you will position and rotate your monitors so that when you are sitting in you normal position all 3 screens point directly at you, its very rare for someone to position them in a straight line.

That's for 2D monitors; triple 3D monitors in an open trapezoid supposedly prevent the eyes from determining the true depth of the peripheral views.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2010, 22:32 
Insiders
Insiders

I've been messing around with anaglyph 3D gaming for the last week or so. I've tried it both ways, and I have to say, no matter if you have the facing inward or a straight, you are gonna get 3D. Now saying this, there's a crux. To get the 3D effect both eyes must be able to see any given monitor. This doesn't work too well with the side monitors that have a good amount in your peripheral vision. So you lose some 3D in the peripheral, but you are gonna lost it no matter what unless you move away from the monitors.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2010, 09:28 

I've been messing around with anaglyph 3D gaming for the last week or so. I've tried it both ways, and I have to say, no matter if you have the facing inward or a straight, you are gonna get 3D. Now saying this, there's a crux. To get the 3D effect both eyes must be able to see any given monitor. This doesn't work too well with the side monitors that have a good amount in your peripheral vision. So you lose some 3D in the peripheral, but you are gonna lost it no matter what unless you move away from the monitors.

Interesting. I suppose the same holds true for shutterglass? Would you say losing peripheral 3D is more immersive than moving back?

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2010, 17:23 

Wow, good question! Might as well go with smaller monitors if that's the case. :?

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2010, 19:34 

Are you doing 3 monitor 3D or just moving one screen around to get the
different angles?

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2010, 05:24 
Insiders
Insiders

Are you doing 3 monitor 3D or just moving one screen around to get the
different angles?

I'm doing 3 Monitor.

Interesting. I suppose the same holds true for shutterglass? Would you say losing peripheral 3D is more immersive than moving back?

This will hold true for shuttershades.

Personally, I only felt immersed up close, because really the non 3D in peripheral doesn't matter a whole lot. It's like edge distortion, you're focused on the middle monitor, so that's where it counts.

ALSO TO NOTE: When 3D is turned on, I noticed frame rate drops (I got as low as 2fps in UT3 engine games). I have been running modern games at 3840x720 instead of my normal 4080x768 because the screen gets rendered twice. You're going to want a decent card or scale back settings because it effectively double the work load of the card.

I've been playing pretty much anything in 3D and I must say so far, my favorite games to play are UT3 and Gears of War.

At first I was skeptical about 3D and games. You can pass it up as a gimmick, if you haven't tried it on a good game. But once you get a good grasp on how to get the effect, you wont want to play without it. It's seriously amazingly immersive. Getting shot never looked so good haha. The only thing that bothers me are Red, Extremely Blue, and Bright Objects on Screen. But seriously the anaglyph driver is free, and works on standard monitors, give it a try.