Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 20:12

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2010, 01:38 

If I went with ATI, Flight Simulator ran like a dog.

Then something else was wrong with your system. FS is CPU heavy and relatively simple in terms of GPU demands - I used to run FSX fine without issue on a Radeon 9800pro before putting an 8800gtx in my next system.

My point wasn't "a rediculous statement". Nvidia requiring two cards to get three combined outputs is obviously not much more than a quick hobble together of drivers. If they were serious about more than two outputs then enable it on a single card, make the changes required there - how long have we been able to run four outputs from two cards? All they've done is brew their own version of softTH, why is this new?. Two cards gets you a single span of 3 and possibly an extra single screen. Two Eyefinity cards give you at least 2 spans of 3.

Investing in a TH2Go when it was the only option was totally different from buying a second card since it could be used on the next and the next build. I intend to build an Eyefinity setup, I will still be using the TH2Go with it to run a set of three small monitors. A second nVidia card wouldn't have had the same longevity.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2010, 16:45 

[quote]So the nVidia solution requires two cards for three monitors and someone here is far happier to spend that amount on gpus that will be superceeded in six months/a year rather than the single card option and spend the difference on monitors that will last far longer?

That's kind of a rediculous statement, in my opinion. I've never gone SLI in the first place, because my "gaming" consists of the Flight Simulator series and various other "racing" simulators that really don't benefit from an SLI configuration in the first place. But I was totally willing to buy a TH2G years ago (the price of a second "high-end" video card) for the Surround Gaming experience it provides in both flying and racing sims.

So yes...if a 3-monitor wide capability is achievable with a second nVidia card in SLI, I see the purchase as no different than buying a TH2G.

Your comment is like saying someone was crazy for purchasing a second video card for SLI in the first place.

And the fact that ATI may already have a single GPU that can do it most certainly isn't a benefit to everybody. It has been documented numerous times ATI cards do not perform as well as nVidia cards for certain "gaming" situations. MS Flight Simulator is one of them. I have nothing inherently against ATI GPUs, but I won't buy one for Flight Simulator until they can perform to at least the same level as an nVidia card for FS.

Respectfully submitted, and no animosity intended towards any ATI afficiados or reps here.

Rick

I hope you realize that those 2 cards you mentioned have to be the cards that aren't out yet? GF100 or GF200 as the old architecture cannot be used.

"I sense something, a presence I've not felt since......."

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2010, 16:59 

[quote][quote]So the nVidia solution requires two cards for three monitors and someone here is far happier to spend that amount on gpus that will be superceeded in six months/a year rather than the single card option and spend the difference on monitors that will last far longer?

That's kind of a rediculous statement, in my opinion. I've never gone SLI in the first place, because my "gaming" consists of the Flight Simulator series and various other "racing" simulators that really don't benefit from an SLI configuration in the first place. But I was totally willing to buy a TH2G years ago (the price of a second "high-end" video card) for the Surround Gaming experience it provides in both flying and racing sims.

So yes...if a 3-monitor wide capability is achievable with a second nVidia card in SLI, I see the purchase as no different than buying a TH2G.

Your comment is like saying someone was crazy for purchasing a second video card for SLI in the first place.

And the fact that ATI may already have a single GPU that can do it most certainly isn't a benefit to everybody. It has been documented numerous times ATI cards do not perform as well as nVidia cards for certain "gaming" situations. MS Flight Simulator is one of them. I have nothing inherently against ATI GPUs, but I won't buy one for Flight Simulator until they can perform to at least the same level as an nVidia card for FS.

Respectfully submitted, and no animosity intended towards any ATI afficiados or reps here.

Rick

I hope you realize that those 2 cards you mentioned have to be the cards that aren't out yet? GF100 or GF200 as the old architecture cannot be used.

Do you have a source for that because as far as I know 200 series cards in SLI will work for surround gaming.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2010, 21:07 
Editors
Editors

I think any confusion may well be down to ambiguous wording on some news articles.

Unfortunately, I think we're gonna need the cards (and drivers) released to really know for sure.:(

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2010, 06:15 

http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTI2MzYwODIxNHh4VHN0ekRuc2RfMl8yOV9sLmdpZg==

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2010, 06:39 

Is it time for ATI to show a little more leg (5870 Six) :wink: :nudgenudge

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2010, 07:04 

Never fear, its coming...

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2010, 12:35 
Editors
Editors

http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTI2MzYwODIxNHh4VHN0ekRuc2RfMl8yOV9sLmdpZg==

Thanks for the link Dave, but it still fails to completely address the exact details of it on GT200. :(

Man, SLI GF100's are gonna hurt the wallet...

One thing on that slide has me a bit worried: it says 3DVS @ "up to" 3x1920x1080. Makes no mention of WUXGA or higher.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2010, 17:54 

[quote]http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTI2MzYwODIxNHh4VHN0ekRuc2RfMl8yOV9sLmdpZg==

Thanks for the link Dave, but it still fails to completely address the exact details of it on GT200. :(

Man, SLI GF100's are gonna hurt the wallet...

One thing on that slide has me a bit worried: it says 3DVS @ "up to" 3x1920x1080. Makes no mention of WUXGA or higher.

I'm betting that only applies to the 3D 120Hz option and not the actual surround gaming. It seems like that would be true because bumping to 120Hz creates a bandwidth issue for Dual-Link DVI. It,more or less, cuts your maximum possible resolution in half.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2010, 18:17 
Editors
Editors

I'm betting that only applies to the 3D 120Hz option and not the actual surround gaming. It seems like that would be true because bumping to 120Hz creates a bandwidth issue for Dual-Link DVI. It,more or less, cuts your maximum possible resolution in half.

This is very true.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

...is it weird that I now think 1920x1080 is a "low" resolution? :mrgreen: There are lots of people out there still gaming at 1280x1024!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next