Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:29

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2010, 21:58 

Anyways, back on topic.

I had a TN panel before eyefinity. I thought it looked great too. Then I got S-IPS, and was blown away by the colors and the crispness. I'm not a photoshop snob, and I have no problems playing games on a TN. But I certainly understand what TN-bashers are saying when they say it is a 2nd-rate panel. "Poor" was a poor choice of words, but there is definately a difference between TN and S-IPS. So while you may scoff at paying 50% more for my panels, I cant help but feel like you've never compared the two.

Which brings us all the way back to your original statement about 500$ DP panels. You aren't paying 300$ extra for displayport. All those monitors are for graphics-designers and provide a richer image quality. Of course paying for 3 of them is a massive investment and will be hard to swallow for most people. Nor does it accomplish eyefinity's goal of bringing surround to mainstream. But eyefinity does provide the most affordable main-stream surround option.

In theory, all you need is
1x 5x00 card
2x non-DP monitors
1x DP monitor

or if you must have identical monitors
3x non-DP monitors + adapter
And this is where ATI screwed up.

But as tineras pointed out, 3 DP monitors is very much affordable. It is slightly more expensive, but not 3x as much. But if your position is that Nv is better for those who do not wish to buy new monitors and yet do not wish to mix, then it really only applies to someone who already has SLI. And the percentage of people who have SLI is probably the same as those who have DP when eyefinity first came out. Now for those who dont, getting SLI is at least as much trouble as selling their monitor and buying 3 native DP ones.

If anyone is really getting screwed financially from eyefinity, it is graphics-designers. They HAVE to have S-IPS panels that retails for 500$ a piece.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2010, 22:22 
Editors
Editors

Unless HardOCP are badly wrong in their reporting, those projectors are Acer 720p jobs that used 'CRT connectors' (aka: VGA or D-SUB) and not DVI.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/01/08/nvidia_3d_surround_multidisplay_gaming_editorial

Although Kyle Bennett has my full support (for whatever that is worth) for his last comment:

For god’s sake NVIDIA, if you pull this bullshit where 3D Surround "games" will not work on Eyefinity configurations, we are going to beat NVIDIA down repeatedly and publicly for harming the PC gaming industry. Keep those crappy proprietary PhysX policies, but if you start messing with OUR multi-display gaming and not letting it remain "open platform," I will personally lead the mob with the burning torches to the castle gates. And we will be fully prepared to use the torches. I will personally lead a boycott of NVIDIA products if I see NVIDIA harm multi-display gaming in the marketplace through an IP grab. Multi-display gaming belongs to gamers, not NVIDIA.

I had talked to someone that went to the conference that talked to them and they said it was using the two DVI on one card and one DVI on the second card.

As you can see in this pic on the projector setup.
Those look like DVI to me :rockout

Also yes so far you will need to run it in SLI but like I already said that is still a cheaper solution then buying DP monitors. DP monitors are not cheap and for most people that have 2 monitors already they don't like the idea of miss matched displays. Or they go for the active adapter that soooooo many people are having issues with still.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2010, 03:10 

Unless HardOCP are badly wrong in their reporting, those projectors are Acer 720p jobs that used 'CRT connectors' (aka: VGA or D-SUB) and not DVI.

that means they are using a dvi to vga adapter?

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2010, 05:51 

Yep and either way would still be able to use DVI so......

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2010, 13:06 
Editors
Editors

[quote]

Yep and either way would still be able to use DVI so......
Aye, which can only be a good thing.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2010, 23:40 

ASSuming ATI comes out with the $20-$30 DP->DVI dongle/adapter.

does it really matter much :)

I should work on the Nvidia boards also :)

but I can only guess.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2010, 22:22 

I have a 5970 with 3x1680x1050 monitors. I had the dpto vga adapter but went to a native dp monitor. The dell p2210. Paid $209 with free shipping. Then I got a monoprice mini dp to dp cable for 20 bucks. Total $240 with shipping. Sold my other 1680x1050 for $125. So I paid about 120 bucks to be totally set up for eyefinity. Also I have had the monitor for about 2-3 weeks and I have had ZERO droputs, ZERO screen goes on and off etc. That is going between extended and eyefinity and back. With the dp to vga adapter I was getting dropouts. Now it works just like it supposed to. Would like to see profiles work better and more games covered but pretty darn happy with the new tech. Native dp monitor made all the diff for me and it was $120 to do it. I have 3 diff monitors and 3 diff brands. All black though. When I am gaming I do not see if they match and I could care less. Two of them match colors very very close and the other is a tad off but not to the point where it matters.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2010, 00:39 

As has been stated earlier in this thread, different people may use this technology different ways. I, for one, have no desire to use the 3D part of the technology. Not that it may not be good...it just doesn't work for me. My eyes won't accommodate it. I have Ambliopia, which is the technical term for "lazy eye". My right eye became dominant when I was very young, and a 3D application just doesn't give me a 3D "jump out of the screen at me" experience.

What I am interested in with this new technology is the ability to use one GPU to run 3 monitors in Surround Gaming without having to "dongle" everything with an interim hardware device like the TH2G. And at higher resolutions than my current Analog TH2G on three 19" monitors, without having to screw around with the 57Hz monitor rate fiasco. I never purchased the Digital TH2G or larger monitors yet because of those limitations.

If I'm reading this thread correctly, when the driver updates for the nVidia 200 cards are released I should be able to install the new driver and run three 24" 60Hz (not 120Hz, as I won't be using 3D) monitors in Surround Gaming mode (just like a TH2G) with (hopefully) ZERO problems. On one nVidia GPU.

Does that sound right?

Give me an nVidia driver update for my current GTX285 that will allow me to hook up three 24" monitors to it for Surround Gaming only (no 3D required), and I'm gonna be spending money on three new, larger monitors very quickly...without having to spend the $$$ on 120Hz monitors, etc.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2010, 00:44 

As has been stated earlier in this thread, different people may use this technology different ways. I, for one, have no desire to use the 3D part of the technology. Not that it may not be good...it just doesn't work for me. My eyes won't accommodate it. I have Ambliopia, which is the technical term for "lazy eye". My right eye became dominant when I was very young, and a 3D application just doesn't give me a 3D "jump out of the screen at me" experience.

What I am interested in with this new technology is the ability to use one GPU to run 3 monitors in Surround Gaming without having to "dongle" everything with an interim hardware device like the TH2G. And at higher resolutions than my current Analog TH2G on three 19" monitors, without having to screw around with the 57Hz monitor rate fiasco. I never purchased the Digital TH2G or larger monitors yet because of those limitations.

If I'm reading this thread correctly, when the driver updates for the nVidia 200 cards are released I should be able to install the new driver and run three 24" 60Hz (not 120Hz, as I won't be using 3D) monitors in Surround Gaming mode (just like a TH2G) with (hopefully) ZERO problems. On one nVidia GPU.

Does that sound right?

Give me an nVidia driver update for my current GTX285 that will allow me to hook up three 24" monitors to it for Surround Gaming only (no 3D required), and I'm gonna be spending money on three new, larger monitors very quickly...without having to spend the $$$ on 120Hz monitors, etc.

You will need two cards in SLI.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2010, 01:06 

You will need two cards in SLI.

Oh heck...I thought that was only required for the 3D side of it. But even if that is true, buying a second GTX285 would still be a viable option...IF it all worked without the hassles associated with the Digital TH2G and the 57Hz requirement for three 24" monitors.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next