Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 13:08

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2010, 18:58 

They probably just took SLI Matrix mode and tweaked it a bit for mainstream. My money is it's a SLI Matrix "Lite" with some features locked out. This solution sounds like a better integrated SoftTH using CUDA mode.

It sounds to be SoftTH like, but I don't think CUDA is necessarily a must. Given that they are saying that two panels are rendered on one card and one panel on the other card this can be achieved just by rendering all of the geometry fall all the panels on both, then clipping at the rendering stage. Of course, the performance scaling here would not be ideal and also the frame display needs to be synced between the two cards.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2010, 19:35 

[quote]They probably just took SLI Matrix mode and tweaked it a bit for mainstream. My money is it's a SLI Matrix "Lite" with some features locked out. This solution sounds like a better integrated SoftTH using CUDA mode.

It sounds to be SoftTH like, but I don't think CUDA is necessarily a must. Given that they are saying that two panels are rendered on one card and one panel on the other card this can be achieved just by rendering all of the geometry fall all the panels on both, then clipping at the rendering stage. Of course, the performance scaling here would not be ideal and also the frame display needs to be synced between the two cards.

:shock:
So this works like "regular" SLI rendering except horizontaly ?
2/3rds of the total display (left and center screen) are handled by one card and the last 1/3rd by the second card in Sli ?

what were/are the problems inherent (synching or otherwise) with traditional SLI ? and now moving that horizontally and assigning specific monitors to synch all that up?

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2010, 19:40 
Insiders
Insiders

IMHO, if it is like SoftTH, it means there is a lot of stress on a single GPU. One would hope it scales better than that.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2010, 20:07 

[quote][quote]
Uhhh you sure about that show me a DP monitor that is as cheap as a standard DVI monitor please I would love to see one. All the ones I have seen that are 24" are around $600. I got my DVI/HDMI monitor for $189.

24" /w DP - 350$ http://www.amazon.com/HP-Compaq-LA2405wg-widescreen-DisplayPort/dp/B002RW08DS

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2010, 20:11 

[quote]
Uhhh you sure about that show me a DP monitor that is as cheap as a standard DVI monitor please I would love to see one. All the ones I have seen that are 24" are around $600. I got my DVI/HDMI monitor for $189.

24" /w DP - 350$ http://www.amazon.com/HP-Compaq-LA2405wg-widescreen-DisplayPort/dp/B002RW08DS

Ok show me some more. That is still $150 more then I paid for my monitor so 3 of those would be $450 more expensive. But nice try.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2010, 20:16 

This one was on sale for 188$ a month ago.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=320-8325

23" but w/e.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2010, 20:19 

[quote][quote]

Ok show me some more. That is still $150 more then I paid for my monitor so 3 of those would be $450 more expensive. But nice try.

BWAHAHAHA two is all you found you know for a fact they are way less common and more expensive. I can find 24" monitors all day long that are cheaper and better specs then both those so.......

It is funny that you are trying to disagree with me.

Mod edit: Fatlazyhomer is providing you with info you have asked for. I would advice you to be less agressive in the manner you respond to that.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2010, 20:27 

Both those monitors are newly released, so their prices are higher than they should be. But it may be a sign that Dell and HP are starting to put DP in all their new releases, even mainstream ones. While the 24" is not optimal, the 23" is certainly affordable for anyone going surround. And this is all assuming they are hell bent against mixing and matching. I have 3 different monitors, they look fine in eyefinity.

Mod edit: Deleted. Reason: Flaming

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2010, 20:43 

Both those monitors are newly released, so their prices are higher than they should be. But it may be a sign that Dell and HP are starting to put DP in all their new releases, even mainstream ones. While the 24" is not optimal, the 23" is certainly affordable for anyone going surround. And this is all assuming they are hell bent against mixing and matching. I have 3 different monitors, they look fine in eyefinity.

Mod edit: Deleted. Reason: flaming

What ever who is being immature, I am glad you bought expensive monitors just to get your Eyefinity working how it should but there are still known issues even when using Native DP monitors so what ever. For some reason I don't beleive that Eyefinity is working with No issues for you.

And there is no way I am going to mix match monitors good luck getting them to line up plus it would just look retarded.

And just so you know it works for me as well but every once in a while my DP adapter screen will flicker on and off.

There is no question a lot of people would be way more happy and have less issues if this was the route they went. I would have way rather bought two 5870's or two 5850's if I could have just used DVI on both cards. So what ever.....

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2010, 20:56 

If by expensive, you mean 3 S-IPS 24" monitors for a total of 900$, then yes, it was quite expensive. Only issue Ive experience is a messed up cursor occasionally.

Lining up was more of a problem from running out of table space than anything else. Having 2 identical monitors and 1 with DP does not look "retarded".

http://www.gamereplays.org/community/uploads/post-98290-1262980239.jpg

2408 + 2407 + 245T

If Nv offered 3 DVI/HDMI from 1 card, then absolutely. But requiring me to get a SLI motherboard + 2 video cards is not heads and shoulders better than hassling with DP. Not when the P55 motherboards are limited to 8x SLI/Xfire speeds, and not when it also requires me to get a bigger PSU and Case while losing 2 expansion ports.

If you would rather spend 800$ on video cards instead of 400$, why not just get some S-IPS panels and be done with it? They depreciate alot slower than video cards and they look a helluva lot better than TN. Plus the option to use 3xPortrait is great for office work.

Mod edit: Deleted. Reason: flaming

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next