Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:53

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2010, 16:43 
Insiders
Insiders

Anyone have a decent port out picture of the back of the card? I found this one but it's at an odd angle. Is that a HDMI port or is that DisplayPort?

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2010, 16:59 

I believe thats Mini-HDMI.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2010, 17:01 

Oh boy, does that mean we will have a little battle with DP and HDMI? :hide

"I sense something, a presence I've not felt since......."

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2010, 17:09 

In what way?

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2010, 17:14 
Administrators
Administrators

From what they said on toms hardware it sounds like there are only two outputs on the test card they took to CES, I say this because toms hardware says that the first card was rendering the left and center while the second was rendering the right. There was also no mention in toms hardware if the cards were running in SLI mode or not, artical below:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/Nvidia-3D-Surround,news-32529.html
I've not had time to properly dig around yet so what I've read on toms hardware is all I know atm.

Hang on a second, what's an ATI Rep doing snooping around a sub forum for Nvidia new tech :P

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2010, 17:24 
Insiders
Insiders

Hang on a second, what's an ATI Rep doing snooping around a sub forum for Nvidia new tech :P

IMHO, he's just as welcome as anyone else. My take on this is it's a win-win situation where game devs will finally have to listen and adapt thier gaming engines to work with odd aspect ratios and wide FOV. Seriously, instead of battling about this stuff, Matrox, ATI and nVidia should all agree on a few set standards for surround-gaming and come up with a logo to put on boxes that show compatability levels.

While ATI didn't invent surround-screen gaming, they took the risk in forcing it mainstream. :wink:

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2010, 17:27 

In what way?

In every way shape and form. We will now have the ability to run Multi Monitor setups with out having to deal with DP and flickering screens. Something I thought someone said was not able to be done. Now I hope ATI looks into this because I think they would benefit from this.

One might say well yea but you have to run SLI. Ok fair enough but that is still a cheaper solution then having to buy DP monitors when there are hardly any out and yet they are very expensive or have to buy a Validated http://support.amd.com/us/eyefinity/Pages/eyefinity-dongles.aspx $100 adapter that still produces flickering.

So from the money people save by not having to go the DP monitor route they can get 2 cards or 3 cards for tri sli and this would still be cheaper. The savings on monitors alone could be enough to buy all of your cards even if you went tri sli. It has already been said this will work with current 2 series cards. So it would be a included in a driver update.

So in the end it is cheaper and easier.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2010, 17:28 
Administrators
Administrators

[quote]Hang on a second, what's an ATI Rep doing snooping around a sub forum for Nvidia new tech :P

IMHO, he's just as welcome as anyone else. My take on this is it's a win-win situation where game devs will finally have to listen and adapt thier gaming engines to work with odd aspect ratios and wide FOV. Seriously, instead of battling about this stuff, Matrox, ATI and nVidia should all agree on a few set standards for surround-gaming and come up with a logo to put on boxes that show compatability levels.

While ATI didn't invent surround-screen gaming, they took the risk in forcing it mainstream. :wink:

Think of it this way, an ATI Rep not only replied in a thread about Nvidias new card, but was trying to answer the OPs question, I might be mistaken but I've not seen an Nvidia Rep in this sub forum yet ;)

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2010, 17:31 

[quote][quote]Hang on a second, what's an ATI Rep doing snooping around a sub forum for Nvidia new tech :P

Think of it this way, an ATI Rep not only replied in a thread about Nvidias new card, but was trying to answer the OPs question, I might be mistaken but I've not seen an Nvidia Rep in this sub forum yet ;)

I think it is awesome that a ATI rep was in here. Anyway I don't think his statement was at all trying to answer the OP question but I think he was refering to

"In What Way"

to the guy that asked

"Oh boy, does that mean we will have a little battle with DP and HDMI?"

Which I already answered for Dave how I see it haha.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2010, 17:38 

One might say well yea but you have to run SLI. Ok fair enough but that is still a cheaper solution then having to buy DP monitors when there are hardly any out and yet they are very expensive or have to buy a Validated http://support.amd.com/us/eyefinity/Pages/eyefinity-dongles.aspx $100 adapter that still produces flickering.

So in the end it is cheaper and easier.

That sort of depends on the starting point; if you're starting from the point of having 3 DVI panels in the first place then may it is cheaper (though if its an SLI solution and the card need to be matched, then maybe not). If you are a new user with only 1 or two panels in the first place then you need to spring for the cost of the additional panels anyway and DP panels are not necessarily more expensive than DVI/HDMI only panels and you can start with a single GPU on Eyefinity.

However, I don't really see that as a "battle" between DP and HDMI. Given what has been discussed so far it look like the HDMI on the Ferm boards are used in exactly the same way as the HDMI we've shipped with most of the HD 5000 series so far (although Fermi will need a MiniHDMI to HDMI cable / adapter as well), but the HD 5000 series extends the single card functionality with DP as well, and the capability of the additional displays on a single card via DP.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next