Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 12:40

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Prey (2017)
PostPosted: 05 May 2017, 13:47 

Hello there!
I starting playing the new Prey this morning - an awesome game so far!!!
It works well on 3 screens but I was wondering...
1) Is there any way to adjust the FOV?
2) Is there any way to make the UI stick to just the centre screen?

I couldn't spot any obvious .ini files to twiddle with, but it's a CryEnging game, so maybe somebody might have some pointers?

Thanks.
Dan

:triplewide:

Post subject: Re: Prey (2017)
PostPosted: 05 May 2017, 18:17 

there should be a cfg file under C:\Users\<my_username>\Saved Games\Arkane Studios\Prey, where you can change fov (cl_hfov). make sure you have set all settings ingame to your desire, than change cfg and make it read only.

but what do you mean with the UI? Is the UI fucked up and stretching all over the place? how about ingame menu's? Could you upload some pics showing whats wrong with UI?

thanks
pudel

PostPosted: 05 May 2017, 21:36 

My problem with the game is that its to far zoomed in, the fov is at max (120) according to the ini tweak i did, but im missing a large portion of my top and bottom frame of the game, so much so that the middle cursor is no longer in the middle at 5760x1080 its way towards the bottom. Anyone else having the same problem?

PostPosted: 06 May 2017, 01:36 
I Donated
I Donated

pudel wrote:
Could you upload some pics showing whats wrong with UI?

PostPosted: 06 May 2017, 03:01 
I Donated
I Donated

Vynny wrote:
My problem with the game is that its to far zoomed in, the fov is at max (120) according to the ini tweak i did, but im missing a large portion of my top and bottom frame of the game, so much so that the middle cursor is no longer in the middle at 5760x1080 its way towards the bottom. Anyone else having the same problem?

I feel like the game is cropped off top & bottom too. It's hard to get used to, but you can change where the reticle is situated on the screen...
Go to C:\programfiles\steam\SteamApps\common\Prey\GameSDK\ and open the "game.cfg" file. Look for g_reticleYPercentage and lower it a bit. I have mine set at 0.515 and it works perfectly. If you"rasie" the number it "lowers" the reticle on the screen & vice versa. You don't have to change the value much for it to make a difference. Cheers!

| i7 3930K | 16GB Mushkin Redline 2133MHz | ASUS Rampage IV Formula | EVGA 2080ti SC ULTRA | EVGA Supernova 1200W PS | 2x Samsung EVO 500GB SSD RAID 0 | 2x IBM 520 SSD 240GB | Rosewill Blackhawk | 3x Acer Predator G-Sync 144MHz @ 7680x1440 |

Last edited by Funkengreuven on 06 May 2017, 03:12, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 06 May 2017, 03:08 
I Donated
I Donated

Also, it says on the post on Steam that the maximum FOV percentage is 120, but that's for a single monitor. If you're playing on multi-monitor resolution you can push it up higher than 120. I don't know why, but I have mine set at 163.94 which is 120 degrees at my resolution when measured on the FOV calculator on this website. I only realized this because from the start the game defaulted to 146.58 or something similar when I first changed the resolution to 5892x1080 which is what I play at (bezel corrected) and then checked the .cfg file. This is obviously higher than 120 and I didn't mess with it beforehand. I don't know what the game's maximum FOV number is for multi-monitor, except that it's some number larger than 120. One thing I did notice is if you go too high it seems like it defaults back to the minimum again. I tried 220 and it was worse than when I kept it at 163.94. You can experiment and see what works. All of this could be wrong, but it's the best I could figure out and seemed to work as well as I could get it to.

| i7 3930K | 16GB Mushkin Redline 2133MHz | ASUS Rampage IV Formula | EVGA 2080ti SC ULTRA | EVGA Supernova 1200W PS | 2x Samsung EVO 500GB SSD RAID 0 | 2x IBM 520 SSD 240GB | Rosewill Blackhawk | 3x Acer Predator G-Sync 144MHz @ 7680x1440 |

PostPosted: 06 May 2017, 11:30 
I Donated
I Donated

It looks like you can't get higher FoV than 120 on multi-monitor. The default FoV is supposedly 136.376968. When you restart the game after making a new cfg file the FoV is rather cramped and seems smaller than the first time you run it with a new cfg. I don't think the game will let you get higher FoV unless we use a 3rd party program.

PostPosted: 06 May 2017, 14:01 

Think I stumbled across a solution for getting a FOV > 120 for multi-monitor-joy:
[*]open game.cfg
[*]delete "cg_hfov = XXX" (regardless of the value)
[*]close game.cfg and make it read-only

Do this for both game.cfg files. The one in C:\Users\{Username}\Saved Games\Arkane Studios\Prey and the one in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Prey\USER. Also disable Steam-Cloud.

For some reason this way the game somehow uses a correct FOV for 5760x1080 which is around 140.
It seems that if you have "cg_hfov" in game.cfg the FOV is indeed capped to 120. But if you remove the command and don't let the game re-create it (hence the read-only) it works.

Here is hope that the dev includes a proper support in an upcoming patch. At least they have done so with Dishonored 1/2.
Hope this helps you out.

PostPosted: 07 May 2017, 05:45 
I Donated
I Donated

H.A.M.mer wrote:
Think I stumbled across a solution for getting a FOV > 120 for multi-monitor-joy:
[*]open game.cfg

Do this for both game.cfg files. The one in C:\Users\{Username}\Saved Games\Arkane Studios\Prey and the one in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Prey\USER. Also disable Steam-Cloud.

For some reason this way the game somehow uses a correct FOV for 5760x1080 which is around 140.
It seems that if you have "cg_hfov" in game.cfg the FOV is indeed capped to 120. But if you remove the command and don't let the game re-create it (hence the read-only) it works.

Here is hope that the dev includes a proper support in an upcoming patch. At least they have done so with Dishonored 1/2.
Hope this helps you out.

I don't have a "USER" folder in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Prey\ as listed in your post. The second "game.cfg" file I see is in a folder called "GameSDK" at the following path C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Prey\GameSDK. That's where you can change the value for the reticle. I'll try deleting it from the other place and see it it works. If you can explain where you see the other "USER" folder or the other game.cfg file I will be thankful.

BTW, I read somewhere that you can add "r_motionblur = 0" to the game.cfg file in C:\Users\{Username}\Saved Games\Arkane Studios\Prey and it disables motion blur. To be honest, i can't tell for sure if it works, but it seems to.

PostPosted: 07 May 2017, 07:57 

Funkengreuven wrote:
H.A.M.mer wrote:
[*]open game.cfg

Hope this helps you out.

I don't have a "USER" folder in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Prey\ as listed in your post. The second "game.cfg" file I see is in a folder called "GameSDK" at the following path C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Prey\GameSDK. That's where you can change the value for the reticle. I'll try deleting it from the other place and see it it works. If you can explain where you see the other "USER" folder or the other game.cfg file I will be thankful.

BTW, I read somewhere that you can add "r_motionblur = 0" to the game.cfg file in C:\Users\{Username}\Saved Games\Arkane Studios\Prey and it disables motion blur. To be honest, i can't tell for sure if it works, but it seems to.

The Prey folder that is found by going to the user folder is found by going to:

C:\Users\(username)\Saved Games\Arkane Studios\Prey

The other issues seem to be fixed, although I'm getting some parts of the UI that are shown on the left and right screen. For instance mission text / and the icon where the phone call come in.

Haven't really played the game yet, just my observations from checking out the first 5 minutes .