Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:32

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2018, 16:28 

Hey everyone. :cheers:

I have been developing an app in my spare time to assist with switching to and from NVidia Surround mode. It is a very simple app with limited features but gets the job done. It will detect new/exiting processes and load a profile that you have configured. In theory the app should be able to handle any screen configuration, the NVidia driver permitting.

Have a look and let me know what you think. :wave:
https://github.com/Entr0py86/NVidia_Surround_Assistant

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2018, 23:47 

Hello. I am very interested to know if this file you are working on might be of use to me.

I would like to switch between Nvidia Surround, triple screens in SLI to:
A single monitor, SLI disabled, VR headset active.

VR and SLI do not get along. VR + SLI + Surround is a total nightmare.

I know, first world problems, but can your file do this?

(If so, how do I use it? When I run the application, nothing happens as far as I can tell. There is no pop-up window.)

Thanks for your time.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2018, 16:37 

Hi.

Interesting problem to have, would love to see your setup. I have not tested the app in such a situation but it might work, I am not sure what will happen with the SLI switch. If it does not work I would be willing to try and add it.

Did you use one of the setup files or are you running from a clone of the repository? If you have a log file that could also help me a ton to hopefully find the bug. I will retest the installer and check I did not miss something.

I use NVidia to setup my Surround profile then using the NVSA app to save that config. Then I switch to normal non-surround desktop and use the windows display manager to disable the screens that I don't want active and then use NVSA app to save that config. Then I edit each application in the list to use one of the saved configs. I will add a wiki over the next few days.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2018, 18:42 

Thanks for your reply. My suspicion is I'm not downloading the right file. The github link above sends me to a list of files. Which one do I want?

Meanwhile, once up and running, I suspect the SLI switching is probably gonna be a hang-up, but fingers crossed :)

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2018, 19:12 

I found a dll missing from the Setup files that was required to create the database. I have fixed and released a new version.
https://github.com/Entr0py86/NVidia_Surround_Assistant/releases/tag/1.0.1

As to your SLI problem I have found a possible way to implement it. I unfortunately don't have a SLI setup so will not be able to test fully before releasing. Will post back once completed.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2018, 00:20 

Entr0py86, I gotta say, I think you've got something cooking here.

I bit the bullet and dumped my SLI setup. I think I'm done with that. Nvidia support has been worse and worse these past two years.

Anyway, with a single card, and you're updated fix, I think I've got it working, and I'm really liking what I've experienced so far. We'll see how it holds up, but seems very promising.

The setup was a little confusing, as it asks for the default and default surround settings back to back, which I don't think is possible. I had to load the single screen setup first, then run your program and save as default. Then close program. Setup surround settings, rerun program and set default surround. With the setups stored, indeed it appears that your program can switch back and forth on demand.

This is something Nvidia hasn't been able to provide for us for at least the last 4-5 years that I've been triple monitor. Very nice work.

I haven't fiddled yet with attaching a particular setup to a particular game, but that may be the topper.

Thanks a bunch. Guys, pick up this fix!

You have earned my donation. Please tell send me a link. I can do Paypal, steam.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2018, 16:24 

Esteady1

Thank you for your kind words. I updated the git readme with a paypal donate link at the bottom, but here it is as well https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=JWCEP7GLR62J2.

I have tested the setup procedure in it's totality again and everything worked as expected.
The application would ask you to save your current desktop setup as the default profile. Then it will ask you to switch to your surround desktop setup and save it. At any point that the messages are being displayed can you still tweak your setup. The profile is only saved once you click OK. Once your surround profile is saved, NVSA will then switch back to your default profile and display the main form.
I tried to make the setup as seamless as possible but if I can make it more intuitive I would greatly appreciate some input to improve the process.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2018, 17:42 

Donated.

Regarding setup:
I didn't realize I could keep the program open while changing the setup to surround. If that's the case, the only other thing would be helpful would be to allow the flexibility to store the defaults in either order. In other words, if I'm already using my default surround setup, let me store that, than change to default non-surround setup. Currently, as far as I can tell, I have to be in non-surround setup first to run the program.

(honestly, none of this matters once it's up and running. Nothing some documentation can't solve)

Any word on how future proof your fix might be to Windows 10 updates etc?

Thanks

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2018, 17:52 

Thank you very much.

I will have a look at getting it to work that way, makes sense. I will also be adding documentation over next few weeks. Might only get to it over the festive.

I will keep it up to date as I myself use it as well. So far no updates have broken the setup. So fingers crossed.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2018, 04:01 
Insiders
Insiders

That is pretty fantastic Entr0py86!! If I still used Surround I'd be happy to help but I am no longer using it and would have loved to have had it when I was using it. I will pass it on to those that I know who still do use it. Keep up the great work!

Azza Fusion 4000 Liquid Cooled Full/Mini-ITX Tower - AMD Ryzen 1700x CPU - Tt Water 3.0 Ultimate CPU Cooler - ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Extreme - 2x EVGA GTX 980 in SLI - Geil 16GB - Klipsch 5.1 THX Speakers - Vertex 4 128GB SSD, Sandisk 256GB SSD, Samsung 512GB 850 PRO SSD, WD Black 320GB & Two times Toshiba 5TB (one for Games and the other for Storage) - Logitech G502 - Corsair K65 RGB - Logitech G13 - Win10 Pro 64bit - 2-over-1 Viewsonic VA2448M 24" (2x 1920x1080 Secondary) & Samsung CHG90 Series Curved 49" (3840x1080) - Ergotech Monitor Stand - Shout out to WSGF for the upgrade on my stand!