Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 07:36

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: No Mans Sky
PostPosted: 12 Aug 2016, 20:58 

UI is upscaled beyond 16:9, it's atrocious. Running 21:9 here and it's bad, but that muli-monitor shot looks absolutely unplayable.

FoV doesn't feel right. Maxed at 100 yet it feels like it's 60. I thought it was Vert- scaling because it looked cropped vertically, but it's Hor+. Doesn't make any sense. Editing the config and changing it to 140 makes it look like it's actually around 100.

Vsync doesn't affect performance, people don't know what they're talking about. The Vsync method is double buffering, they need to switch it to triple to stop the halving of framerate when it can't meet your refresh rate. If you can't force triple buffering yourself (drivers, D3DOverrider), then sure, disable Vsync and deal with awful tearing. Edit: Interesting, the config file has a "Gsync" option in it, and it's defaulted to on. Disabling to see what it does..

No SLI support, and forcing SLI doesn't work. Just causes terrible flickering in menu and much worse performance ingame. NVIDIA and/or devs have to work on this. I can't be bothered to spend hours testing bits when I barely have just over an hour left to test the actual gameplay (refund grace period); isn't my job.

Edit: The game is rendering at a far lower resolution internally than what's set in the options. This is why the graphics look atrociously blurry. People report DSR giving framerate boosts and potentially better graphics. That only works properly in 16:9, as downsampling in a resolution with a broken UI results in it looking pixelated ontop of being stretched (or squished). However, if you do downsample, be prepared for pretty abysmal framerates:

"2560x1080" http://i.imgur.com/g4G99lw.png
"3620x1527" http://i.imgur.com/tYvDSmX.jpg
"3840x1620" http://i.imgur.com/Eoub7Rc.jpg
"5120x2160" http://i.imgur.com/Rxx1A5L.jpg

Edit: See my later post, people are fixing the game. http://nomansskymods.com/

Last edited by DAOWAce on 16 Aug 2016, 13:43, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2016, 21:30 
I Donated
I Donated

I decided to keep it anyway, i also have a laptop with a nvidia 970m connected to a 23" IPS panel on a "over-the-bed" table.
It will make a perfect bed/couch game :). But if the HUD and SLI is fixed, then all is good.

I found you can edit the settingsfile to a greater FOV.
\Steam\steamapps\common\No Man's Sky\Binaries\SETTINGS\TKGRAPHICSSETTINGS.MXML

EDIT:
Setting the FOV to 140 and disable SLI and only playing on 1080p works fine and no stutter or frame drops, steady 60 with vsync on.
It'l have to do until SLI is fixed at least.

| Logitech G810 - G502 - G240 - G27 - G940 - | TrackIR 5 Pro | Saitek RHINO X55 HOTAS | Xbox One Elite Gpad |
Asus Vulcan Pro | Asus Xonar U7 | Sony STR-DE495P External Surround Home Cinema Reciever |

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2016, 03:15 

I added the game to the database here, you can add some screenshots if you want, because i only have a 21:9 monitor and no Eyefinity / Surround setup :) I guess it works fine at every resolution, the only Problem is the HUD...
http://www.wsgf.org/dr/no-mans-sky/en

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2016, 13:26 

To maximize your framerate set GSync to false (not VSync, leave it by default) in settings file here ...\No Man's Sky\Binaries\SETTINGS\TKGRAPHICSSETTINGS.MXML
At least it was helpful for me to get higher fps
IMHO the game will take the disappointment of the year in all game charts in all categories.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2016, 14:59 

DAOWAce wrote:
UI is upscaled beyond 16:9, it's atrocious. Running 21:9 here and it's bad, but that muli-monitor shot looks absolutely unplayable.

FoV doesn't feel right. Maxed at 100 yet it feels like it's 60. I thought it was Vert- scaling because it looked cropped vertically, but it's Hor+. Doesn't make any sense. Editing the config and changing it to 140 makes it look like it's actually around 100.

Vsync doesn't affect performance, people don't know what they're talking about. The Vsync method is double buffering, they need to switch it to triple to stop the halving of framerate when it can't meet your refresh rate. If you can't force triple buffering yourself (drivers, D3DOverrider), then sure, disable Vsync and deal with awful tearing. Edit: Interesting, the config file has a "Gsync" option in it, and it's defaulted to on. Disabling to see what it does..

No SLI support, and forcing SLI doesn't work. Just causes terrible flickering in menu and much worse performance ingame. NVIDIA and/or devs have to work on this. I can't be bothered to spend hours testing bits when I barely have just over an hour left to test the actual gameplay (refund grace period); isn't my job.

Edit: The game is rendering at a far lower resolution internally than what's set in the options. This is why the graphics look atrociously blurry. People report DSR giving framerate boosts and potentially better graphics.

In 21:9 the game seems to be rendering at about of 1/2 of whatever resolution you choose. I had to crank up the DSR to 4x to get the game to look like a native 3440x1440 resolution and while the framerates aren't awful I really wish the game used the resolution i set so I could have a better experience.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2016, 15:59 

Its unfortunate to hear about the HUD, kind of expected it but unfortunate none the less. Between that and the lies about the true nature of the multiplayer (I just wanted co-op) I haven't bought it yet. Its too bad.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2016, 19:12 

5760 x 1200 is unplayable. Anyone found a fix / settings yet?

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2016, 23:47 
I Donated
I Donated

dazzystar12 wrote:
5760 x 1200 is unplayable. Anyone found a fix / settings yet?

As far as the HUD is concerned, it's still stretched. Either Hayden or someone else will have to make a fix for the stretched HUD/UI.

As far as performance goes, I had to disable SLI, and play the game outside the native resolution of my displays and play it at 4320x900 with everything on Medium. Definitely hoping this is temporary.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2016, 09:58 

That game would be a blast, if there wasnt the problem with the HUD. Hope someone can make a fix for it, or HG comes up with an solution by themselves.

Wondering why for some people SLI doesnt work. For me it works 100%.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2016, 22:23 

pudel wrote:
Wondering why for some people SLI doesnt work. For me it works 100%.

You're loony; the game doesn't even have an SLI profile in the drivers.

And forcing it yourself? Have an invite to the club: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topi ... i-profile/

Drivers are being released Monday, and HOPEFULLY they have official SLI support. I don't think NVIDIA has mentioned it.

Edit: Drivers are out, SLI only works properly in the experimental build, at least for me. (CPU usage issues)

Last edited by DAOWAce on 16 Aug 2016, 13:44, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next