Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:34

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2016, 01:42 

Hello,

Currently I've been playing MWO on my new triple monitor setup, and I've got what seems to be commonly described as the "fisheye" issue. Side screens are stretched and zoomed compared to the center screen.

I'm new to these forums, and I saw that MWO shows up on your games DB. I navigated to MWO section, and I assumed there'd be tips for maximizing the game's settings for triple monitors. However, I didn't seem to notice anything useful for my situation. I could certainly have over looked something if my answer is indeed there.

all suggestions and comments welcomed!

Here's my setup:
So here's my setup:
i5-2500k
16GB G.Skill DDR3 1600
ASRock z77 Extreme4 mobo
EVGA 850W G2 PSU
XFX R9 390 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814150729)
3 x Samsung C24F390F 1800R monitors (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 90V4312103)

GPU drivers are 16.3.2

My monitor setup:
1 monitor is using just a cable for HDMI to HDMI on GPU
1 monitor is using a cable for HDMI to DP on GPU
1 monitor is using a cable for HDMI to DVI-D on GPU (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6812705444)

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2016, 01:01 
Editors
Editors

So, if you compare your own Screenshots to the one in the Detailed Report.
How does it differ?

P.S :welcome :)

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2016, 16:01 

image doesn't seem to want to post - so here's the link just in case it doesn't work: http://imgur.com/RSCtavT

First, i feel like the FOV differs. Mine was set at the 60 default for the image - The further I get to the game's max of 120fov, the more stretched the side monitors' images become.
Secondly, it still looks like my side monitors' views are stretched more compared to the info page's, like i'm looking at this with fish goggles... If that makes sense...?

Last edited by Durn on 17 Jul 2016, 13:11, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2016, 16:06 

When I get a chance, i'll try using the identical mech and map location for a better/clearer comparison.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2016, 13:10 

Whelp - that location in the info page screenshot doesn't exist in the game anymore. Anyways, additional screenshots added:

Notice the rock face to the right - some definitive stretching when comparing the two images.

Notice the tree in the large tree in the center. It's on my center monitor in this picture.
Now it's in my right display in this picture - notice how much more magnified that image is comparatively.

The menu/mechlab doesn't appear to have (or at least it's not noticeable) stretching. I'm starting to wonder if FOV is what's causing the distortion? The FOV setting has no effect in the mech lab, only while piloting a mech during a match, which is also when stretching happens.

Default and minimum is 60, maximum fov is 120. At 120 the stretching is even more apparent.

120 fov settting, notice the tree - i'm 70meters away from it and it's in my center monitor:
Same tree 70meters away and in my side monitor with 120 fov. Looks like I'm standing next to it lol.

Afaik, MWO won't allow you to modify the FOV lower than 60 due to abusing the advantage it grants with zoom levels (iirc, this was stated some years ago) - and I'm not sure I would want to because it would take my perspective out of the cockpit. I would actually prefer to be a little further back in the cockpit, but the distortion is unbearable.

Am I just going to have to deal with this or is there some config file settings I could monkey with? or a 3rd party program? To be clear, I don't want this for the advantage, I'd just prefer to not get nauseous from moving the camera lol!

Any and all suggestions/comments welcomed!

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2016, 23:19 
Editors
Editors

Well.... (technical info first, commonly called fisheye but it's the contrary effect we're having here, more like a fish tank) all games do have a fisheye effect. The problem is that this is decided by the Engine, and you cannot easily modify this.
Only way around this is using multiple Viewpoints (PoV) one for each Monitor.

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2016, 13:10 

Is there any way to establish multiple viewpoints in MWO? This will eat up performance I would assume?

If not, I can certainly live with this, it's far from unplayable.

Thank you again for all your help!