Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:20

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 14 May 2016, 23:17 

Hey All,

I hope I am posing this in the right thread...

I wanted to ask if anyone on here has had the chance to game on a surround setup with a ultra wide center (21:9 with a 16:9 on each side). I bought an Acer X34 to replace my PG278Q but now that I have them setup next to each other, I am considering buying another PG278Q for surround gaming at 8560x1440. My questions are:

1) Can anyone give insight as to FPS for gaming at 8560x1440
2) Compatibility with games? Same as surround 16:9 monitors?
3) Is there any complication by using two different aspect ratios for surround gaming?

PS. I currently have two SLI 980TIs with a decent overclock and will be upgrading to the next set of cards after the 1080 (1080TI?) As far as games I play: Racing Sims, Star Citizen, GTA, Doom, Rocket League, Witcher 3, Civilization

I appreciate the feedback and thanks for your help in making this decision!

:TrueWS: :triplewide:

PostPosted: 20 May 2016, 01:58 

bump

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2016, 05:24 

I currently have an AMD r9 390 and had been running with three 24" 16x10 (1920x1200) monitors. One of my side monitors started having an artifact (vertical line about 3/4 of the way across the screen from the left, so I was in the market for a replacement. Rather than just replacing it with another 24" monitor, I ended up with a 34" 21:9 (3440x1440), put it in the center and use the remaining two 24" monitors for the sides. End up with 7280x"1440"-ish, so not quite your resolution, but getting there. Even if I eyefinity (expanded) the setup, most games seem to play extremely well still (certainly not noticeably worse than the old setup).

Sounds like you should be good to go with your setup. Mixing 21:9 and 16:9 aspect ratios shouldn't be a problem (beyond any usual problems games have with triple-wide), and you won't have the mismatched vertical resolutions that I have in my setup (which, so far haven't bugged me while playing Fallout 4 - I"ll probably change my mind when I try something like Civilization though).