Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 10:38

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2015, 19:38 

Hey guys,

I have a Nintendo Wii U & XBox One but sadly no more TV... I want to be able to play the consoles on my Nvidia Surround 4 monitor setup. How do I get this to work with the Avermedia capture card if they use HDMI / HDMI splitters when my 3/4 monitors connected to my Titan don't have enough ports:

They are connected:
2 DVI
1 Display Port
1 HDMI

I found this link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB51THXnwPY

He shows he uses an HDMI powered splitter and connects his surround monitors but my EVGA Titan only has 1HDMI Port.

Any help would be appreciated.

ImageImage

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2015, 20:55 

It doesn't matter which ports you have on your Titan. All he is doing is just running the AverMedia RECentral app in full screen mode, which is spanning the preview window across all three monitors, just like you can do with any other window when using Surround.

Don't get hung up on the HDMI splitter. He is not using it to connect any monitors directly or to split the signal. He is only using one output on it, and the only reason he is using it at all is to act as an HDCP stripper so that he can send the PS3 video signal to the Avermedia card via HDMI without the PS3 pitching a fit. You won't even need this at all to play games on either the Xbox or the Wii U (but you will need it if you want to use any HDCP enabled video apps such as Netflix).

His setup is as follows.....

PS3 (1 HDMI out) --> HDMI Splitter (1 HDMI out) --> Avermedia UC3 (USB 3.0 out) --> PC --> Monitors (via whatever connections you already use)

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2015, 13:12 

Nillaz wrote:
It doesn't matter which ports you have on your Titan. All he is doing is just running the AverMedia RECentral app in full screen mode, which is spanning the preview window across all three monitors, just like you can do with any other window when using Surround.

Don't get hung up on the HDMI splitter. He is not using it to connect any monitors directly or to split the signal. He is only using one output on it, and the only reason he is using it at all is to act as an HDCP stripper so that he can send the PS3 video signal to the Avermedia card via HDMI without the PS3 pitching a fit. You won't even need this at all to play games on either the Xbox or the Wii U (but you will need it if you want to use any HDCP enabled video apps such as Netflix).

His setup is as follows.....

PS3 (1 HDMI out) --> HDMI Splitter (1 HDMI out) --> Avermedia UC3 (USB 3.0 out) --> PC --> Monitors (via whatever connections you already use)

Hey I really appreciate it. I just felt really dumb.

Would you mind pretending I'm literally an idiot.. (I've over thinked and overthinked this so much.
My system :
4 monitors (u3014 30")
2 use dvi
1 uses hdmi
1 uses display port
1 titan

I don't have sli anymore so I figure I could take the home cable out and connect it the device.

I thought all my monitors needed to use hdmi...

Mind telling me what I should buy /busy and how to do it. If I can get this to work.... Good god

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2015, 18:40 

I am a little confused, but I am assuming that "home cable" was a typo for "HDMI cable" and am proceeding accordingly.

You monitors don't all need to be HDMI. If your Surround setup has worked up until this point (and based on your pictures in your first post it appears you have it set up correctly) it will continue to work with your game consoles as is. I would not go disconnecting any of the video cables you are already using for your monitors if they are already hooked up and working.

If you are using 4 monitors then they would already be connected to your PC like this:
2 of them connect to your Titan using DVI
1 of them connect to your Titan using Displayport
1 of them connect to your Titan using HDMI

If you don't have some laying around you will need some additional HDMI cables....one if you are just using a capture card, 2 if you are also using a splitter.

Connect you Xbox to the splitter input via HDMI. Connect the splitter output to the Avermedia input via HDMI. Connect the Avermedia UC3 to your PC via USB 3.0. There is no video cable that connects the Avermedia to your PC or to your graphics card, everything is routed over the USB 3.0 connection.

The video signal then goes from Xbox --> splitter --> capture device --> PC --> monitors over all connections

If you don't have a splitter then connect the Xbox directly to the Avermedia input directly via HDMI.

You will have to configure the Avermedia RECentral program with the proper settings. I'm not going to go into all of the settings (this post would be pages long) so use the setup wizard in the software and refer to the manual for your capture card.

When you have it configured correctly and you start the RECentral program you can take the video preview window and maximize it. In portrait mode like you have your monitors setup the window will span across your monitors and you can now play Xbox across 3 screens.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2015, 21:28 

Nillaz wrote:
I am a little confused, but I am assuming that "home cable" was a typo for "HDMI cable" and am proceeding accordingly.

You monitors don't all need to be HDMI. If your Surround setup has worked up until this point (and based on your pictures in your first post it appears you have it set up correctly) it will continue to work with your game consoles as is. I would not go disconnecting any of the video cables you are already using for your monitors if they are already hooked up and working.

If you are using 4 monitors then they would already be connected to your PC like this:
2 of them connect to your Titan using DVI
1 of them connect to your Titan using Displayport
1 of them connect to your Titan using HDMI

If you don't have some laying around you will need some additional HDMI cables....one if you are just using a capture card, 2 if you are also using a splitter.

Connect you Xbox to the splitter input via HDMI. Connect the splitter output to the Avermedia input via HDMI. Connect the Avermedia UC3 to your PC via USB 3.0. There is no video cable that connects the Avermedia to your PC or to your graphics card, everything is routed over the USB 3.0 connection.

The video signal then goes from Xbox --> splitter --> capture device --> PC --> monitors over all connections

If you don't have a splitter then connect the Xbox directly to the Avermedia input directly via HDMI.

You will have to configure the Avermedia RECentral program with the proper settings. I'm not going to go into all of the settings (this post would be pages long) so use the setup wizard in the software and refer to the manual for your capture card.

When you have it configured correctly and you start the RECentral program you can take the video preview window and maximize it. In portrait mode like you have your monitors setup the window will span across your monitors and you can now play Xbox across 3 screens.

I owe you a beer :onethumb: I am going to and buy that model ASAP. Have you used it yourself personally or do you know a model that may be better? Splitter wise, in that youtube video he recommended a powered splitter... Is this needed or would anything work?

Really appreciate all of your help. Will place the order this weekend on your response, I never did a youtube video but I may do a walk thru for other people who are interested in this if I can get it working. You made things sound so easy 8-)

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2015, 22:34 

No worries glad I could help.

My setup is a little different but the theory is the same. I use the Live Gamer HD which is for all intents and purposes the internal PCIe version of the card you are looking at. The software is the same for both devices. I also don't have my monitors in portrait but that doesn't matter to the software...we're just using different aspect ratios.

You will want a specific type of powered splitter that does HDCP stripping. When I get home tonight I'll get you a link to the specific one I recommend. It costs around $25 for the 2 port and $40 for the 4 port.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2015, 04:19 

As promised, here is the HDMI splitter that I use. It comes in 3 flavors: 1 input into 2, 4, or 8 outputs. I personally use the 4 port splitter but any of them should work.

There are possibly (probably) cheaper ones out there, but this is the only one where I can personally vouch for it's HDCP stripping capabilities.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0089DVCT8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1