Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:31

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2014, 01:22 

About seven months ago I built a new FSX system with a Core i7 4790k at 4.6Ghz, GTX 780 and 8 Gb of fast memory. There's a lot of hardware connected to the computer, 5 radio modules, a throttle, MCP, CDU, yoke ad rudder plus a few interface cards for buttons and switches. All this worked perfectly on my old single monitor setup. This time though I decided to go for a TH2GO digital with three 20" monitors which I had lying around. I installed FSX and my trusted PMDG 737NGX and was ready for nirwana.
Boy was I wrong.
I spend several months trying to get these two programs to work without crashing and finally succeeded. The sim is now flyable but there are two issues that keep plaguing me.
First is the horrible sound from the sim, there's this loud engine sort of noise inside the cockpit that drowns all other sounds and keeps fading in and out when I click something in the cockpit. But I understand this is not the correct forum for this issue.
Second then is the virtual cockpit. When it is spanned across three monitors you have to zoom out as far as possible and then move the viewpoint even further back with Ctrl-Enter. No problem and it works fine as long as the airplane is stationary. But when everything is up and running and I start to taxi and fly the viewpoint snaps back and the whole cockpit is shaking. I can still pan the view around but zoom and ctrl-enter don't work anymore. After a while this stops and I can zoom out again but a few minutes later it snaps back again without me touching anything in the sim .
I have the different panel views undocked and can call them up by pressing buttons. The left CDU is undocked and permanently displayed on my Opencockpits CDU.
I've tried the tweaks I found in this forum without success.
I hope somebody has some more suggestions I can try.

Martin

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2014, 19:42 
Insiders
Insiders

I would suggest this sort of issue is better suited for a site like AVSIM, SIMHQ or MYCOCKPIT forums. While there are FSX users here, they're in the minority.

I will say that for your title question - yes - FSX works with Matrox GXM boxes (and with AMD Eyefinity and Nvidia Surround). I really suggest custom camera cfg for multi-display in FSX though. There is a syntax to the cfg editing to get it to work right. I'm not proficient at it enough to properly explain it, so I suggest asking in one of the forums I initially mentioned.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2015, 17:19 

I use the Matrox Triple-Head-2-Go and it works great on 3 32" TV's. Additionally, I have two 24" monitors to use on my desk for normal computer use. I do this with two ATI 5800 video cards. The only issue is the TH2GO box wants to be the main display, though you can change it, but then I have problems opening FSX and getting it onto the TH2GO side. I am sure there is a work around, just have not played with it. I leave the TH2GO as the main monitor, but have to have them on when using my 24" monitors because popups always go to the main monitor.

FSX
PMDG737NGX
MegaSceneryEarth
Alienware Aurora
Crucial 512 SSD
2 ATI-5870 Video Cards
Triple-Head-2-Go
3 - 32" Monitors and 2 - 24" Monitors

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2015, 17:23 

Forgot to mention, I use EZdok to make my camera positions in FSX and could not imagine flying the PMDG737NGX without it. You can set as many cameras as you need exactly where you need and whatever angle you need to see, then switch between them with your HAT button on the yoke, throttle buttons, or assign keyboard shortcuts. Fantastic program.

FSX
PMDG737NGX
MegaSceneryEarth
Alienware Aurora
Crucial 512 SSD
2 ATI-5870 Video Cards
Triple-Head-2-Go
3 - 32" Monitors and 2 - 24" Monitors

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2015, 08:00 

I noticed that same zooming issue with FSX in wide screen.

I will be googling EZdok right away. Thanks for the tip!