Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:12

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 11 Nov 2009, 23:32 

Oh do tell how you got it to work :)

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2009, 00:07 

Oh do tell how you got it to work :)

Driver hack info is here http://www.ngohq.com/graphic-cards/16223-nvidia-disables-physx-when-ati-card-is-present-28.html#post82812

I used the "lite" version

I had to boot to safe mode to patch driver.

Build a vga dummy plug video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtbfXg193do

I used shrink wrap. PhysX will not work unless there is a "monitor" hooked up to the card - hence the dummy plug. Or just hook up a spare monitor if you have the room etc.

Make sure you disable the nvidia card before you create your eyefinity grouping or things can get all messed up since eyefinity will break up all of the built in extended desktop stuff! Prolly not an issue if you have an actual monitor hooked up to the NVIDIA card. Then after the grouping is complete go back and enable the nvidia card.

Best of luck. I'll be posting some videos on all this on my youtube chan so please feel free to subscribe!

Trav

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2009, 17:43 

Thx for that mate will try it out as soon as the 5970 hits the market togheder with my 285 GTX :D

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2009, 18:38 

I'm having issues with the change of fov....after modifying that value the menus and cutscenes are still VERT- :(
I'm positive i changed exactly what this little guide explains, any hint?

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2009, 14:56 

Thx for that mate will try it out as soon as the 5970 hits the market togheder with my 285 GTX :D

Borrowed my mates old 9500GT this week and coupled it with my 4870X2 to see how it would work out with the PhysX hack in Win7.

Honestly, I expected the game to run better with PhysX off but it was the reverse.. Game was essentially unplayable at 5040x1050 with PhysX off, flicked the switch to Normal, and then to then High, and found the frame rate was actually going up. Ended up being pretty damn smooth and enjoyable with everything on max.

Hoping my mate will let me keep this card for a bit longer so I can buy the full version and play through :P If more games supported PhysX to this extent and DX11 Physics wasnt on the way id probably run out and grab myself a cheap GT250 right now.. Still might do it anyways :wink:

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: 09 Dec 2009, 18:48 
Editors
Editors

@OneOfTwo : the menus remain Vert-, but the cutscenes shouldn't. Which cutscenes are not Hor+ for you with the fix ?

All, did someone find a way to run the benchmark with a custom FOV ??

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2009, 09:43 
Editors
Editors

Couple FOV tricks I found...

1) Hor+ main menu
I haven't found a way to directly alter the FOV in the menus, but if you go check out some character's trophy, hit Space (or W !) to correct the FOV, then exit, the main menu'll be Hor+ until you quit it. 8)

2) Zoomed first-person view
You can't assign keys to zooming in/out in first-person view afaik. There's a couple secrets in the Botanical Gardens that I found to be abnormally hard to "shoot" because of this. If you keep getting a 'Subject too small' message but there's no way to get closer, try this edit :

.Bindings=(Name="Z",Command="ToggleCameraZoom | fov 60", Shift=false, Control=false, Alt=false, bIgnoreShift=false, bIgnoreCtrl=false, bIgnoreAlt=false):META:COM_ZOOM,0,-1,-1,"",false,true,CI_Zoom

Now you have Bat-binocs ! Hit Space and you'll still be in first-person view, only with the regular higher FOV. (When you go back to third-person view however, the FOV will always be unbearably narrow until you hit Space again.)

3) Custom FOV in the benchmark
To run the benchmark using a custom FOV simply apply Paddy's edit to a "neutral key" (i.e that will not interrupt the benchmark) like W.

.Bindings=(Name="W",Command="MoveForward | fov 142 |DebugMenuUpPressed | OnRelease DebugMenuUpReleased | Axis aRawLHJoyUp Speed=1.0", Shift=false, Control=false, Alt=false, bIgnoreShift=false, bIgnoreCtrl=false, bIgnoreAlt=false):META:COM_FORWARD,0,-1,-1,"",false,false,CI_Movement,CI_LeftStick,CI_LeftStickUp

Launch bench, hit W once during the loading screen and voilà !

4) Object culling
There seems to be a limit in the number of objects that can be displayed at once, which is hard to miss in multi-monitor modes: you get a wider FOV but not more objects on screen, so objects in front of you (center screen) appear out of nowhere as you get closer to them. The benchmark alone makes it all too obvious. I wonder if it'd be possible to edit this limit somehow :?

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2010, 19:41 

Thanks for this trick.

Did someone know what is the correct FOV for 5760x1080 ?

I'm using FOV 140. It's working. But maybe it will be better with another one...

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2010, 16:09 
Editors
Editors

I tend to use 142 for 48:10 in most games when I don't know the default FOV and/or AR, but it's kinda arbitrary. :oops:
The FOV values suggested by Paddy work great, so the default FOV must be 75 in 4:3, so you should use 144 in 48:9. (How do I know ? Here's how !)

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2010, 21:47 

I added a couple of extra keybinds to my config to switch FOV for bits where it was important:

.Bindings=(Name="B",Command="fov 90")
.Bindings=(Name="N",Command="fov 270")

Seems to work OK. I prefer 270 for the FOV at 48:10 as it's easier (for me at least) to manage mass melee. I know it's different nawadays but I still tend to assume that FOV=90° per monitor. So far it seems to work apart from the occasional fisheye effect in peripheral (please note the "so far" - I'm still new to this!)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next