Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 00:20

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2013, 17:08 

the bezel is not an issue

people seems to forget they have a nose bridge right in front of their eyes.... now apply that to the bezel

on the other hand, more and more monitors & HDTVs are coming out with ultra thin bezels 1/2" give or take a few

for those really anal about the bezel

they can go the 3ple Projector way on a curved screen :rockout:

as for showing it off, definitely you need game tittles that has build in support for Eyefinity / Surround View to NOT get that Fish Eye effect

MechWarrior Online, or any of the newer tittles will do wonders :onethumb:

i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(2x), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(2x), Seagate 3TB(6x), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2013, 23:28 

Hello, first time poster here!
I've had my dreams shattered today by the fish-eye realization, so I'm wondering what to do now.
My main dream was playing Skyrim in a surround display (a glorified mountain hiking simulator if you ask me, but a damn beautiful one).

Problem is, I need to buy another GPU, an SLI-supporting mobo and two more monitors. As it turns out, two gf275 gtx (what I currently have) would not allow for comfortable gaming, so I guess I'd need two more powerful cards instead. When I realized that the side monitors would be there to only provide a feeling (rather than making it all actually like Iooking through a window), I feel that doesn't justify the spending, seeing as how I'm not so much of an avid gamer.

I know now that a triple view frustum for Skyrim is out of the question and will likely never happen. In this case, I was hoping I could have the side monitors render at a halved resolution (seeing as how I will never be looking directly at them due to the fisheye) so that two gf275 would be enough- but it appears even that is impossible.

Do you guys know any modern games that support multiple view frustums, which makes the fish eye effect only occur at monitor borders, rather than on the whole side monitors?

Last edited by mikemayday on 11 Jan 2013, 02:27, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2013, 01:17 
Founder
Founder

iRacing is about the only game I know of.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2013, 02:28 

Thanks Clarke, that looks amazing!
If you happen to know, does iRacing use multiple view frustums to achieve it, or some other, clever trick? (like simulating a curved frustum).

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2013, 16:32 
Administrators
Administrators

From what I've been told it renders 3 camera view ports, which you have to tweak in the options to get it to work right.

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2013, 01:11 

Paddy the Wak wrote:
Bars between the screens
You should be too busy playing/concentrating on the centre screen to notice them ...
Do you notice the edges of the screen when you are playing on one screen ? ... no ... because you are busy concentrating on the game.
So ... just as when you are using one screen you don't notice the edges of the screens or the bars because you are too busy concentrating /playing the game on the centre screen ... the sidescreens as I have said just add to the emersion giving you some peripheral vision.
The emersion is stunning ... giving a view that is far far closer to the way your eyes work in reality ... way more than just one screen could ever do.

One of the best quotes that I've seen pertaining to surround gaming. This needs to be quoted on the many YouTube videos of surround setups when people complain about the bezels/lines in between the screens.

•ASUS Rampage III Extreme•
•Mushkin Enhanced Ridgeback 3 x 2GB DDR3 1600MHz (6-8-6-24-1T)•
•PNY GTX 670 3-Way SLI•
•Crucial M4 256GB•
•Windows 7 Home Premium 64•
•(2)Corsair HX1000 1000W PSUs•
•(3)ASUS VW266H 25.5" 1920 x 1200 monitors in Nvidia Surround•

YouTubeGoogle PlusFacebookBlogger

PostPosted: 19 May 2013, 13:13 

When I first decided to get a third monitor and jump into Eyefinity I read this thread. I was worried that the distortion would bother me a whole bunch. But now that my setup is.....setup....I agree with everyone that you most definately do NOT notice the distortion (or the bezels for that matter).

Some games i've tried have terrible distortion (Natural Selection 2), but most new AMD backed games (especially ones that come with their graphics cards) love being triplewide (ive just recently gotten back into Hitman Absolution, and the distortion is barely there).

Even when I'm using it to look around corners and the like where I'm looking directly AT the screen the distortion doesn't bother me.

The way you guys have explained how this works is fascinating, just like learning how 3D tech works.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2018, 15:16 

Hi Guys! New to WSGF.

I did know where to ask these types of questions so if I am in the wrong section of the website I am sorry and please direct me to the correct place :)

I am just got my new gaming room all ready and looking to start building my first Gaming PC.

I want a triple screen set up to play all my games on. First off I am not too sure what the minimum graphics card would be in order to run 3 screens. Does anyone have any advice on what sort of spec PC I should be building in order to run games effectively?

Thanks

Jammy

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2018, 11:59 
Editors
Editors

Hi Jammy,
If you want people to find your post and hope for some answers you should try the Hello forum in the General section.

http://www.wsgf.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=57