Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:57

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2015, 14:31 

I have all the parts for my simulation projector's PC. I purchased two GTX970s to execute in SLI. I'm in the process of building the PC now, but of course the tougher part now is the projectors to use and screen build/edge blending software.

From what I understand, I'll need 3 projectors in order to take advantage of output, or can I use just 2 projectors?

Thanks!
ElmO

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2015, 05:03 
Insiders
Insiders

Apparently a new feature in the 900-series is to be able to span between 2 and 5 displays. Before the 900-series Nvidia was only triple display for Nvidia Surround. As it's so new and I only have a GTX770, I don't know the updated mechanics of it yet personally. If you find out any details, let me know. I'd like to experiment with it myself, but I'm low on $$$ at the moment.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2015, 05:08 
Insiders
Insiders

I just saw this post, it should help give a bit more insight.

http://www.wsgf.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 36#p155636

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2015, 14:51 

Thanks Brad - I'll check that post out. Can I fly you out to Ohio to help me out with the install once I have the PC setup? I'll need to decide on which projectors also which you can help with beforehand.

I'm guessing 2x1080p based on your recommendation. I think 2x970s isn't enough to drive 3x1080p with high frame rates in most games.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2015, 07:28 
Insiders
Insiders

Sure, no problem. I only do on-site stuff 2 or 3 times a year, but as long as my transportation, room and food are accounted for I'm ok with doing it. Currently also have someone from Toronto that wants me to do an install in a few weeks. It gives me an excuse to visit someplace new a few times a year.

Nothing too magical about 3 x 1080p. People have been doing it around here for years. Really depends upon what you're using it for and how high the settings in-game/in-sim are.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2015, 08:04 
Insiders
Insiders

Cybereality just posted that his GTX980 has 2x1 option, so at the very least it's available on the GTX980. It's pretty much guaranteed to be available on the GTX970 if it's on the GTX980.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2015, 17:03 

OK, excellent. Well this happened last year too (lol), I owe a fairly sizable tax return. I have to fix my withholdings.

Anyway it shouldn't put a huge hamper on the plan.

Do you have any recommended triple 1080p projector I should try? I know earlier you mentioned maybe people should start with 2 projectors just to see if they like it.

Thanks!

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2015, 06:08 
Insiders
Insiders

My current two favorites are the BenQ W1080ST and the Optoma GT1080. The BenQ has variable lens zoom and lens shift ability while the Optoma has a bit shorter throw. Both are good 1080p short throws though.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2015, 00:37 

Good, I'll probably go with the BenQs just so we don't run into any problem with mounting them, but I read in the reviews the 1080ST doesn't have lens shift. Typically the short throws have no lens shift, or only up/down or left/right, if I recall.

Secondly, I'm most worried about the screen out of everything. What on earth are we going to do about that?

I'm repurposing my 3D theater room for this, I'll be blacking out the full front wall with black velvet. Approximately how far back from the center of the screen do you sit? I have an immovable stage in the way, if I bring the screen wall out too much, with the curvature you won't be able to enter/exit the room (lol).

Here's the room we're going to work with:
https://www.facebook.com/reuben.ahmed/m ... 159&type=3

Thanks!

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2015, 02:36 
I Donated
I Donated

That's a sick theater setup!