Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:44

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2013, 19:40 

Okay, so I'm finally taking the dive from my single 24" to add triple 19" to get my whistle wet for more surround gaming in the future. I'm getting the monitors sometime this weekend, however this now presents another challenge as my video card only has dual DVI and 1 HDMI mini port. I know DVI would be the preferred connection, and am looking at picking up a Matrox TH2Go Digital for this purpose in the future, however I was hoping somebody had an analog TH2Go for cheap to get me started.

Currently looking at the following setup:

3x Dell 19" 1280x1024 (for 3840x1024 res)
Powered by my single GTX 550 Ti
And I plan on picking up the Ergotech triple monitor stand to hold everything.

The monitors are coming from a closed down office so I expect a little bit of burn in, otherwise are in great condition and come with only the analog VGA cable, hence my request for an analog TH2G initially.

I will keep my 24" connected in landscape mode above this setup so that I can retain my normal usage with the triplehead for increased productivity and specialty gaming.

:WWTH2Go:

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2013, 20:02 
Editors
Editors

the Topic title is wisely chosen and very informative. .. ^^

but why not just buy another 550Ti or any other gpu that does surround/Eyefinity Nativ?

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2013, 20:08 

Haldi wrote:
the Topic title is wisely chosen and very informative. .. ^^

but why not just buy another 550Ti or any other gpu that does surround/Eyefinity Nativ?

2 reasons as follows:

A. I can't find my card's model anywhere online anymore, it's been discontinued, and I hate mis-matching "matching" or "paired" hardware, partially OCD, partially horrifying experiences in the past with friend's builds.
B. I figure the analog TH2Go (~$100 max?) would be cheaper than 2 new cards (~$300), or 1 surround capable card (~$220 min)

This isn't anywhere near pro setup, I'm just now starting out down this path and want to minimize costs up front if possible. I understand I'm somewhat regressing in tech, but that's fine by me so long as my end goal is accomplished without much (if any) sacrifice to quality.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2013, 13:56 

If you want to get a Matrox TH2G unit, that is well over $100 (I paid approx $300 AUD inc freight about a month ago) so unless you can get one 2nd hand its not so cheap. I just learned of a similar product Mview but also ~$300. If you want cheap and have a spare pci-e slot on your motherboard, get the cheapest crappiest vid card and use softTH (It works and if free!!)

OR get an AMD card for cheap 3 monitor eyefinity, Sapphire 7770 is selling cheap in Australia atm (~$110).
That will work straight out of the box but monitors might need to be same resolution.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2013, 16:05 
Editors
Editors

Right.... Had a Talk with Sarah in the IRC this Week, she bought a Flex Hd7770 that comes with a HDMI-> DVI adapter so you get 3x DVI for Ca 140$

Maybe she shows up again so I can ask her about the performance.