Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:48

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 27 May 2013, 09:15 

OmniAtlas wrote:
I have also seen 2 projector builds -- only downside right now is the resolution will be terrible, I'll only be able to afford 2x 1280x800

I use two projectors on my personal screen, 2560x800. I think the resolution is ok when playing racing games.
These are Vivitek QUMI Q5. The big downside with these is that they use a bit time getting in focus.

PostPosted: 29 May 2013, 10:50 
Insiders
Insiders

OmniAtlas wrote:
I have also seen 2 projector builds -- only downside right now is the resolution will be terrible, I'll only be able to afford 2x 1280x800

To further explain, it really depends on your end use. Simulation, gaming and video content will look ok with the resolution. If you're doing spreadsheets on the desktop it'll look bad. Reading of text is a problem with that resolution in a setup like this. Be mindful that in an ideal world we could all afford BenQ W1080ST. I have two of those on my to buy list this year. I'm saving a bit up each month to get them. My Optoma GT720's are showing a bit of age after 3 years of use. 2560x800 works for what it does, but it's not ideal. It's ultimately a compromise made to keep things affordable. If 2560x800 is really a game breaker for you, I'd save up over the next year for two BenQ W1080ST instead. No need to rush into the build. Take time and don't compromise unless you have to. It's important that the end result of the build best suit your computer habits and needs. I've seen a few people where they compromise on the build based on tight time or budget constraints and are frustrated with the end results. I wouldn't want you to go through all the trouble of a 2560x800 build and not be happy with it when you could wait a bit longer and do a 3840x1080 build instead.

PostPosted: 30 May 2013, 09:13 

BHawthorne wrote:
OmniAtlas wrote:

To further explain, it really depends on your end use. Simulation, gaming and video content will look ok with the resolution. If you're doing spreadsheets on the desktop it'll look bad. Reading of text is a problem with that resolution in a setup like this. Be mindful that in an ideal world we could all afford BenQ W1080ST. I have two of those on my to buy list this year.

I'm glad you are also intending to purchase the W1080ST -- then it really must be worth the investment.

I would like a multi-functional use for my projector; not only flight sim, but also cinema viewing. I think doing word processing on a 100" screen would be overkill :)

Perhaps I will get one W1080ST, and then invest in another one further down the line. It should hopefully drop to the <$1000 level in 2-3 years.

I don't think 3D will work with 2 projectors edge blended?

PostPosted: 30 May 2013, 11:02 
Insiders
Insiders

OmniAtlas wrote:
BHawthorne wrote:
OmniAtlas wrote:

To further explain, it really depends on your end use. Simulation, gaming and video content will look ok with the resolution. If you're doing spreadsheets on the desktop it'll look bad. Reading of text is a problem with that resolution in a setup like this. Be mindful that in an ideal world we could all afford BenQ W1080ST. I have two of those on my to buy list this year.

I'm glad you are also intending to purchase the W1080ST -- then it really must be worth the investment.

I would like a multi-functional use for my projector; not only flight sim, but also cinema viewing. I think doing word processing on a 100" screen would be overkill :)

Perhaps I will get one W1080ST, and then invest in another one further down the line. It should hopefully drop to the <$1000 level in 2-3 years.

Hardware spanning via adapters does not effect the ability to use 3D Vision. Also, Nthusim edge-blending also does not effect the ability to use 3D Vision. Both work with 3D Vision kit. It treats it as though it's a single display with Nvidia 3D Vision enabled. Be mindful that the hardware spanning adapter must have the bandwidth to lock 120hz though. That is why I used the MViewer box and not the DH2G box for my previous dual-projector Nvidia S3D setup. I believe I tested the Zotac adapter for 2560x800 120hz awhile ago but forgot my findings. They're probably in a post somewhere in WSGF though. Be mindful that the W1080ST is going to have a lot more bandwidth requirement than a 800p projector so I have my doubts on any hardware box spanning adapter having the proper bandwidth requirement to enable 3840x1080 120hz.

PostPosted: 31 May 2013, 09:52 

OmniAtlas wrote:

I use my 180 degree screen for almost everything, not for writing large documents, but another small tasks.

The W1080ST looks really amazing, but the price in Norway is awful, 1530usd (todays exhange rates).
Like Bhawthonre, on my previous screen build I used Optoma GT750, the picture was good enough for gaming and other small tasks, like searching for game fixes on WSGF.

Warpalizer's edge blending also support/do not affect the picture when using 3D.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2013, 14:31 
Insiders
Insiders

OmniAtlas wrote:

Depends upon the S3D type used and the projector used. With the GTX770 and GTX780 released I might pick up a used GTX670 for cheap so I can do some testing this month. I feel a bit unarmed when I currently only have an AMD video card to test with. I really need both AMD and Nvidia for testing.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2013, 15:57 

I'm relatively new here, but was following this thread and thought I'd chime in.

We are doing a gaming room for an event here called the Parade Of Homes.

We have 2 setups - one of which is a 12' x 5' slightly curved screen (comes in about 2'-4" on each side of the 12' width - not sure what degree that is). The purpose of the slight curve is the builder wanted it to be good for movies as well as gaming. The reason for the height was based on the two projectors set at a 4:3 ratio instead of 16:9.

We bought two of the Benq W1080ST projectors, and ended up using the Immersive Pro software with the auto-adjust software. The BenQ's did a very good job of supporting the 4:3 lower resolutions.

Very happy with everything, the software takes care of a majority of the work, can use a standard Logitech webcam (which we already had). You still have to fine tune it, but games are awesome and we downloaded some sample 4K movies from Youtube and playing them with KMPlayer, which will stretch the image and it's very crisp. Search for "Bees in 4k" on Youtube and set the res to Original. Windows looks a bit hinky, but games and movies are our priority. In watching video, the stretching is not noticeable.

Immersive Pro did a perfect job on the edge blending, so the final tweaking was more about keeping horizontal things horizontal. Just don't think that it's point the camera and 2 minutes later it's all done, just a bit more work than that.

I promise to post pic's later, but am thinking this should be under a new topic if people want to hear more.

I am very interested in a single projector solution, but not for cost as much as supporting XBox One and PS4's. From what I understand they both can support 4k resolution, and possibly any resolution you set below that. That being said, our focus is PC gaming but believe our clients will also want the ability to use consoles as well.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2013, 17:39 
Insiders
Insiders

dblair871 wrote:
I am very interested in a single projector solution, but not for cost as much as supporting XBox One and PS4's.

The only thing that would support an XBOX One or PS4 would be a hardware solution. There is no option for that in the consumer price range.

IMHO, distorting aspect ratio is always noticeable unless it's close to the aspect ratio of the source file. Also might create your own thread for your experience with your build. It'll get lost buried in another topic if you post about it this thread.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2013, 19:53 

Thanks Brad, I appreciate the input. You are the reason I started following this forum!

I will start a new thread for my builds. I'll try and put a couple photos below as "teasers".

In context of this threads topic, what if we took the output from a PS4, where we could set the resolution to whatever we want (4K?), then that fed into a PC through a capture card, then back out where the Warp and Blend software can do it's magic. This is all just theory at this point, but even my son who considers himself and his friends part of a "PC Gamer Master Race" is looking at the new consoles with some envy.

Also, as to the aspect ratio, I thought the same thing and since our focus is gaming, we would see movies with the black bars. I honestly didn't put much thought into it, but surprisingly things look pretty good. May have been dumb luck.

I"m not sure the photos will show up, but the curved screen looks fantastic, the 3 LCD TV's have incredible detail (I tried two of the new GTX 780's in an SLI, only to find out that this specific model can't do both surround and SLI - you have to go up to the Titans or down to the 680's). Even with one 780 working hard, the games are working at their highest resolutions.

Attachment:
File comment: Curved screen
0 728.jpg
0 728.jpg [ 796.41 KiB | Viewed 4162 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: 3-screens
0 730.jpg
0 730.jpg [ 701.57 KiB | Viewed 4189 times ]

And yes, I'm 53 years old and both the Batman and Spiderman costumes are mine! :D

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2013, 20:45 
Insiders
Insiders

Thanks, the reason why I had Skip add in this forum is that there are so few places to go for this information. It's super important that there be public forums to help make these sort of builds more plausible. Given enough people's input more imaginative builds come about. The downside is it spawned competition in a very niche market, but in the grand scheme of things competition is good. It keeps things evolving with new features.

Input card -- Yep, but that is a bit of a convoluted way of addressing it. I'm not sure of any card that allows for UHD input. Piping the console through the pc will probably induce latency from the initial transcode on the input card. I know MViewer had a blending box but it was expensive compared to the software solutions.

No worries. I'm a major Trekkie. I have a TOS movies era uniform I used to wear to sci-fi conventions. :onethumb: