Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:03

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 21 May 2013, 13:22 

Setup at FlightSimKL

Looks pretty amazing. I talked to Nat (FDS) -- its one projector, one FSX window view zoomed out. Not really a true 180 view, but looks impressive nevertheless.

Has anyone setup a similar system with 1 projector?

PostPosted: 21 May 2013, 16:42 

Looks amazing. How did they do it? Warping software?
On my previous job/work I made a screen that was curved with one projector. I used a plexiglas sheet with rear projection film, and first surface mirror that was curved with the ability to make small adjustements. I dont remember what the radius was, but it was awesome to use a curved screen with Xbox and PS3, with DLP 3D.
Incredible depth with curved screen and 3D. I used a Optoma GT750 projector.

PostPosted: 22 May 2013, 09:58 

Yes, if you look at the lower left corner you can see the text is warped.

I don't know what software they are using; probably NTHUSIM.

I would like to setup something like this -- perhaps with a BenQ W1080ST projector; it would lead to considerable costs savings (1 projector vs 2)

However I am sure the lateral views are completely not in ratio.

I have also seen 2 projector builds -- only downside right now is the resolution will be terrible, I'll only be able to afford 2x 1280x800

PostPosted: 26 May 2013, 06:02 

One projector setup video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M_gGu7Gx28

PostPosted: 26 May 2013, 06:11 
Insiders
Insiders

Hrrrm, interesting looks like he's doing around 120 degrees or so. My main question is how are they handing the focus range on the screen? There has to be issues at the center and edges with clarity for text. You can hide a lot of issues in a 640x480 picture. What are they doing to not lose pixel height on the projection? Using an anamorphic lens or bouncing off a mirror? In my experience anything over 110 degrees FOV has depth focus issues. My current personal screen is doing 100 degrees per projector -- 90 per projector + 10 degrees of blend.

PostPosted: 26 May 2013, 06:52 

Its a 1080p projector
FSX is zoomed out to about ~ 100 FOV

More photos on Nat's facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/pages/NatVIS-Si ... 39?fref=ts

I don't think text will matter that much for the visuals?

I'm just wondering if anyone else here has done a similar setup.

PostPosted: 26 May 2013, 07:00 
Insiders
Insiders

It'll be fine for non-text for the most part. Your brain doesn't process that the outer edges might be out of focus a little in a setup like that. At issue is a lot of the FSX menu is going to be towards the left edge and you'll have problems reading the menu. Only a minor irritation, not a game breaking thing though. He has to be losing some pixel height on the projection if he's wider than 16:9 aspect ratio. My guess is his real viewable area is probably around 1920x768 with pixel height projection lost. Not really a bad issue, but I hate losing any pixel height at all with wall sized projection. His setup is acting similar to a two projector 1024x768 setup without having to deal with the center blend. Innovative way of doing things if the focus range is bearable in the setup. He's really pushing the limits of what the focus depth on a projector can handle though.

PostPosted: 26 May 2013, 08:23 

BHawthorne wrote:
It'll be fine for non-text for the most part. Your brain doesn't process that the outer edges might be out of focus a little in a setup like that. At issue is a lot of the FSX menu is going to be towards the left edge and you'll have problems reading the menu. Only a minor irritation, not a game breaking thing though. He has to be losing some pixel height on the projection if he's wider than 16:9 aspect ratio. My guess is his real viewable area is probably around 1920x768 with pixel height projection lost. Not really a bad issue, but I hate losing any pixel height at all with wall sized projection. His setup is acting similar to a two projector 1024x768 setup without having to deal with the center blend. Innovative way of doing things if the focus range is bearable in the setup. He's really pushing the limits of what the focus depth on a projector can handle though.

The other thing is, I think wants you put an overhead, or a shell, these visuals will be impossible unless you have a very high ceiling.

If the viewable area is only going to be 1920x768 would be more wise to spend the money on 2x720p ultra short throw projectors?

I was going to go with a 1080p projector because I wanted it to double its use for cinema viewing, and perhaps a golf simulator.

PostPosted: 26 May 2013, 15:17 
Insiders
Insiders

OmniAtlas wrote:
BHawthorne wrote:

The other thing is, I think wants you put an overhead, or a shell, these visuals will be impossible unless you have a very high ceiling.

If the viewable area is only going to be 1920x768 would be more wise to spend the money on 2x720p ultra short throw projectors?

I was going to go with a 1080p projector because I wanted it to double its use for cinema viewing, and perhaps a golf simulator.

120 degrees with a single 1080p projector is plausible like the previous examples show. The only thing at issue is the unknown focus depth issue. It's one of those things that would have to be addressed by simply experimenting to see if it's ok for the particular setup you have in mind. There is risk there but the reward is not having to deal with edge blending. Personally, if a single 1080p projector works I suggest it over the logistics of using two 1024x768 projectors. You'll still need pre-warping but do away with edge blending. I'm very weary of anything under 800p for the pixel height so I'd suggest losing as little projection height as possible in the screen design.

PostPosted: 27 May 2013, 03:34 

Thank you for the advice bhawthorne. I worked out some numbers with the benq 1080st last night with the benq calculator and it came up to about a 133" screen at 2 m.

Have you tried throwing a projector at a corner wall with the center screen midline? I may attempt that before purchasing/making a curve screen.

If i was to use 2 projectors I am not too worried about the blending; I have taken a look at some of the immersive pro videos and I am very impressed with their auto calibration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mEpbgSB ... 3&index=28

According to the author they will be building in fsx/p3d support soon.