Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 06:49

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2013, 18:29 

Proneous wrote:
being metal fabricator by profession, while you did very good job im not impressed at the frames and its not that big hassle at all, to me at least, just putting things in proportions, also i'd ASSUME, and can't be sure before serious checks confirm this but this can be built for around 50 pound metal + labor i'd guess 3 times that if its pro guy doing it, if its yourself, free? if it were me i'd charge about 200 pounds. which is fair.

But the other thing is, im not getting the deal here, not trolling you at all, its an great project for fun but if im getting the pictures, its completly impractical, the projcs are not nearly in sync they are just horiz leveled but other than that i'd take bezels and not such skewed pic quality.

that just me and im not retracting from the quality job you did there nor from the potential it does have, if possible to properly adjust it.

Thanks for sharing, its the 2nd curious project ive found in these forums.

Its my father who built it and he is an engineer, he's been creating and building things all his life, from the smallest things such as a stop motion armatures to two story houses... he is indeed a professional.
Please let me know why you're not impressed with the frame work as the input would be great and could be considered. I don't find that it needs to be a complicated design, all I wanted when setting out to do this was to make it so that it could be assembled quite easily and for it to be light as possible so that it could be moved and positioned easily even when fully put together, also to try and keep shipping to a reasonable price.

Your suggested pricing is definitely affordable but I would however make no money at all and would end up making bit of a loss. In the end the purpose to a business is to make a bit of money, there would be no point starting otherwise. All the materials, time and effort need to be taken into account, It would have to be worth it for my father and myself, even just a bit of a profit. The dual and single ones will be of course cheaper than the triple and the price will depend on how big the requested size is.

I mentioned that I haven't currently got the software to get the images to sync together yet, so yes as you noticed....It is obviously out of sync. The projectors aren't yet level either, so it looks even worse as you can see, this is only because I've yet to decide how I want my projectors positioned. I don't believe having a setup like this is 'completely impracticable', take a look at other people who have the a similar setup who have the projectors properly positioned and the sync/warp software applied, its a very stunning experience. I prefer a bezeless experience when playing in surround and watching widescreen films that make use of more than just the center display. For me, the bezels in between slightly breaks the immersion, this is a personal opinion of course and I will respect your preference.
Thanks for your interest in this.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2013, 22:50 

well i'll try clarifying, The job appears really high quality, what i've meant by not impressed is the simple design, i've expected. since i've carefuly read your post prior to checking pics, some serious hitech thing, but it doesn't detract from your job at all, im just clueless at projectors screen, sorry if that offended you.

oh yeah i've suggested very low profit [nearly hobbist pricing] $$, i've just threw an 'possible' pricing for such job. and ive not really assessed the metal price at all just assumed. if you'd like and possible i'll edit that part.

yes you did but from what i've figured from those pics, and perhaps they are misleading, its just very skewed, to impracticallity, you also mentioned you did try some fixes that didnt work. This whole project is fascinating me because i've considered 3Pjct instead regular lcd, but your log is deterring me rather.

Alas you're correct, while upon checking your project im in the bezel's side and glad with 3 lcds, its personal preference thing, and like ive mentioned if it can be properly adjusted, and im no prof at those things, it has great potential and i'll be glad for you if it get it fixed!! just..... pointing that it doesnt seem practical other wise.

Thank you for understanding that i'm not trying to troll the other way actually.

But no one can give criticism i'd guess without being called troll, funny thing wasnt even criticizing the OP actually, just the avaliable Tech we got.

Thank you for sharing it too.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2013, 19:39 

Maybe it's just the way you're using the English language then, as to me that would appear to be trolling. I've seen plenty of these posts over the last few years and this looks to be a good job. I think you're just misunderstanding the fact that the pictures aren't lined up to mean that they can't be. They can be and I suggested that the OP gets the pictures done properly so that people who don't understand the tech can see the results!

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2013, 15:54 

No that's okay I wasn't offended, I was just curious about what you were expecting a screen frame to be like. In this case I thought a simple design would be better, as something like this doesn't need to complex. I want something that's straight forward to assemble and that can be done by anyone.

The image with the game showing is just my own unfinished work and does not indicate the outcome to having a setup like this. I just wanted to show something on the whole screen just to give a slight idea of what it would look like. However, just incase it misleads others I will remove the picture for now and replace it with another as soon as I've got the projectors correctly positioned and have the warping software enabled.
Thanks for the input

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2013, 18:52 

axelandpixel wrote:
benjimoron wrote:
Looks really nice! Where in the UK are you?

I'm not sure on price, but I would imagine that it should be somewhere in the region of £500, but that's more gut instinct than anything else.

I don't think the warping software is expensive? Look at Warpalizer or Immersaview? I think Nthusim has a 10 minute per go trial too, so at least you could mess around with it a bit and take video/photos, even if you have to restart every ten minutes.

Anyway, good job!

I plan to sell it for an affordable price, probably quite a bit cheaper than your estimate i should imagine.

Ah yes I did try one software trial before but it seemed to take quite a lot of the quality of the picture when applied, It felt like the projected image was turned from high definition to standard, so I didn't end up going for it. I will try other ones soon though and hope to get some better results.

Thanks for letting me know :)

Well, remember that the software is only going to use the amount of pixels you manage to fit into the screen space if you know what I mean. ie the better positioned you can get the PJ's the better the result will be. Obviously there's a lot of wastage if you don't have the PJ's lined up well. That could of course mean that you're only getting a SD picture out of HD PJ's.

In summary, line them up well so you don't have any wastage!

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2013, 08:28 

Hi everyone,

Im Marius from Norway. :wave:
Im new on this forum. This is my first post.

I work in a company thats called Univisual, the makers of Warpalizer (www.warpalizer.com)

Our sister company Polar Simulation, offers affordable curved screens for home gamers.
We also offer cheap international shipping on our screens due to the low weight (screen parts are ABS plastic)

To the maker of the thread, very nice screen. How much does it weight? :)

Best Regards,
Marius

PostPosted: 28 May 2013, 22:40 

marius@warpalizer wrote:
Hi everyone,

Im Marius from Norway. :wave:
Im new on this forum. This is my first post.

I work in a company thats called Univisual, the makers of Warpalizer (http://www.warpalizer.com)

Our sister company Polar Simulation, offers affordable curved screens for home gamers.
We also offer cheap international shipping on our screens due to the low weight (screen parts are ABS plastic)

To the maker of the thread, very nice screen. How much does it weight? :)

Best Regards,
Marius

Hi Marius,
The screen is incredibly light, I'm able to pick it up and move it by itself without hardly any effort. I've now attached my center, left and right speakers to the top of the frame so there's a little more weight now but I'm still able to lift it up and move it easily.

I'll take some more pictures soon as soon as I get some warping software.

PostPosted: 29 May 2013, 07:53 
Insiders
Insiders

A few things of insight on the screen. It looks to be welded pipe. While it might be light, the segments are too large to ship cost effectively. I'd look towards a modular frame design that can be broken down to the component pipe pieces for shipping instead of having large prefab segments. It looks similar to a frame design that I quit using in 2011. I used tubing roller pipe segments back then. The rolling of the pipe segments was inexact and labor intensive part of the fabrication process. It's why I did away with that method. Be mindful if you're truly hunting for interest on screen sales that it must ship to anywhere cost effectively and it must fit in an average house. In the US, that means no taller than 8 foot and no larger footprint than 10x10 foot. That puts some new constraints upon your design to think about.

PostPosted: 31 May 2013, 09:57 

axelandpixel wrote:
Hi Marius,
The screen is incredibly light, I'm able to pick it up and move it by itself without hardly any effort. I've now attached my center, left and right speakers to the top of the frame so there's a little more weight now but I'm still able to lift it up and move it easily.

Is it made of aluminium? :)

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2013, 14:28 
Insiders
Insiders

axelandpixel wrote:

Looking forward to pictures. Have you decided on the screen material yet?