Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 02:19

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2013, 17:47 

Hello all,

Last year I made the decision to go multi monitor with nvidia surround. I wanted to avoid going with monitors purely because I didn't want the bezels to be in the way, so I made up my mind and went with projectors instead. I bought 3 optoma gt720 projectors, a GPU that supported 3 displays and then all i needed was a curved screen (50" tall, 300" wide). I searched the internet hoping to find someone that made custom sized projector screens. I could only find a couple of places but they were asking for way too much. I was told that for a Front projection curved frame, it would cost $1450.00 (£954) and then I would also need to add the projection material which I was quoted $11 (£7) per sq feet $880 (£579) for my screen. I'm not made of money so i thought the best thing to do is to make my own, so I did...saved a lot of money by doing so but it took a bit of time to make and was quite a hassle, but now after I have the right equipment to curve the frame, it would be easier to create another.

I'm very happy with how its turned out, although there is a bow in the screen, it dips inwards a bit. This isn't so noticeable for me while i have an image on the screen though, but I'm told that the warping/edge blending software can be adjusted to make it look although there's no bow on the screen when the image is projected. I've had my screen up for about 6 months now and I've not bought any warping software yet as that's also quite expensive, so I'm holding out for now until I come across some money.

I'm thinking about making and selling some custom sized screens to anyone out there who wants one without paying an arm and leg for it. I'm wondering if there's anyone who would be interested in buying a custom built screen. Also, can you let me know what price you'd expect something like this to be or how much you'd be willing to spend on this.

I'm also able to make a curved screen suitable for a single or dual setup. Please take a look at the pictures to see.

Attachments:
File comment: curved frame (triple)
IMAG0563 paint.jpg
IMAG0563 paint.jpg [ 798.39 KiB | Viewed 5369 times ]
File comment: curved frame (dual)
IMAG0564 paint.jpg
IMAG0564 paint.jpg [ 882.35 KiB | Viewed 5346 times ]
File comment: curved frame (single)
IMAG0567 paint.jpg
IMAG0567 paint.jpg [ 1014.73 KiB | Viewed 5346 times ]

Last edited by axelandpixel on 30 Mar 2013, 18:49, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2013, 17:53 

Side shot views

Attachments:
File comment: curved frame (triple) side view
IMAG0560 paint.jpg
IMAG0560 paint.jpg [ 913.44 KiB | Viewed 5350 times ]
File comment: curved frame (dual) side view
IMAG0565 paint.jpg
IMAG0565 paint.jpg [ 905.59 KiB | Viewed 5363 times ]
File comment: curved frame (single) side view
IMAG0568 paint.jpg
IMAG0568 paint.jpg [ 903.32 KiB | Viewed 5350 times ]

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2013, 18:44 

pictures with the screen attached

Attachments:
File comment: curved frame with screen
IMG_1702 paint.jpg
IMG_1702 paint.jpg [ 1002.31 KiB | Viewed 5367 times ]

Last edited by axelandpixel on 03 Apr 2013, 15:58, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2013, 19:13 
Founder
Founder

Wow. That is really impressive. If I had the space and money, I'd love it.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2013, 19:58 
Editors
Editors

wow! looks great. you sure need a lot of space and money for a beamer Setup.

btw you're in England? I think with shipping to the USA all the nice price would be gone.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2013, 00:09 

Looks really nice! Where in the UK are you?

I'm not sure on price, but I would imagine that it should be somewhere in the region of £500, but that's more gut instinct than anything else.

I don't think the warping software is expensive? Look at Warpalizer or Immersaview? I think Nthusim has a 10 minute per go trial too, so at least you could mess around with it a bit and take video/photos, even if you have to restart every ten minutes.

Anyway, good job!

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2013, 23:22 

Haldi wrote:
wow! looks great. you sure need a lot of space and money for a beamer Setup.

btw you're in England? I think with shipping to the USA all the nice price would be gone.

Yeah your right, a lot of space is required for something like this, I had to dedicated my whole attic for it....but I must say, its definitely worth it.

I'm located in Wales in the UK, shipping is something that I'd have to look into, it probably would cost a fair penny to post abroad. I'd try and get the package into as small of box as possible, hopefully no bigger than a meter in length (depends on how tall the requested screen height is).

Last edited by axelandpixel on 31 Mar 2013, 23:44, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2013, 23:37 

benjimoron wrote:
Looks really nice! Where in the UK are you?

I'm not sure on price, but I would imagine that it should be somewhere in the region of £500, but that's more gut instinct than anything else.

I don't think the warping software is expensive? Look at Warpalizer or Immersaview? I think Nthusim has a 10 minute per go trial too, so at least you could mess around with it a bit and take video/photos, even if you have to restart every ten minutes.

Anyway, good job!

I plan to sell it for an affordable price, probably quite a bit cheaper than your estimate i should imagine.

Ah yes I did try one software trial before but it seemed to take quite a lot of the quality of the picture when applied, It felt like the projected image was turned from high definition to standard, so I didn't end up going for it. I will try other ones soon though and hope to get some better results.

Thanks for letting me know :)

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2013, 00:12 

being metal fabricator by profession, while you did very good job im not impressed at the frames and its not that big hassle at all, to me at least, just putting things in proportions, also i'd ASSUME, and can't be sure before serious checks confirm this but this can be built for around 50 pound metal + labor i'd guess 3 times that if its pro guy doing it, if its yourself, free? if it were me i'd charge about 200 pounds. which is fair.

But the other thing is, im not getting the deal here, not trolling you at all, its an great project for fun but if im getting the pictures, its completly impractical, the projcs are not nearly in sync they are just horiz leveled but other than that i'd take bezels and not such skewed pic quality.

that just me and im not retracting from the quality job you did there nor from the potential it does have, if possible to properly adjust it.

Thanks for sharing, its the 2nd curious project ive found in these forums.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2013, 09:48 

Proneous wrote:
being metal fabricator by profession, while you did very good job im not impressed at the frames and its not that big hassle at all, to me at least, just putting things in proportions, also i'd ASSUME, and can't be sure before serious checks confirm this but this can be built for around 50 pound metal + labor i'd guess 3 times that if its pro guy doing it, if its yourself, free? if it were me i'd charge about 200 pounds. which is fair.

But the other thing is, im not getting the deal here, not trolling you at all, its an great project for fun but if im getting the pictures, its completly impractical, the projcs are not nearly in sync they are just horiz leveled but other than that i'd take bezels and not such skewed pic quality.

that just me and im not retracting from the quality job you did there nor from the potential it does have, if possible to properly adjust it.

Thanks for sharing, its the 2nd curious project ive found in these forums.

Now that sounds like trolling!