Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:15

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 3 Projector Build
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2012, 22:32 

Just ordered the projectors this morning. 3 Optoma GT720s. I'm using 3 flat sections to start and may move to a curved screen later. I'll be driving them with a 7970 but will probably grab nVidia's next chip when it's available to try out 3D.

I'll post some pics of the setup once it's finished but it should be pretty plain. Looking forward to it though ...

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2012, 10:52 
Insiders
Insiders

Sounds cool. Keep us updated. I'm a fan of setup pictures. I love to see other new setups as they're built and refined. :)

Post subject: I'm waiting for your
PostPosted: 26 Jan 2012, 00:22 

I'm waiting for your response. I'm interested in GT720 or GT750s. Heck, even BenQ W6000 for 1080p x 3. I simply need to see more setups to decide on what I'd like to do.

Please post back with your results of 720s, thanks.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2012, 04:18 
Insiders
Insiders

The Dell S300 is also a good option. I did two installs in Denver with those this month.

Personally, I'm more of a fan of dual-projector 2560x800 now. The cost of entry into the surrond projection club is a lot more affordable that way. Also since it's just pushing 2x 720p no need for a second entheusiast level video card. Double savings by just needing one card and one less projector. Problem is that's only viable on the AMD side. I used triple projection for years and reverted to dual projection in late 2011 in preference of taller FOV on a 180 degree screen setup.

I'm not saying that AMD + dual projector is the only way to go. I'm just offering a cost effective alternative to do a simular setup. The only reason why people used to go triple display is because of LCD bezels. LCD bezels are a total non-issue with projectors. NVIDIA will force two video cards and three projectors cost overhead. Just making you mindul of the budget requirement differences to achieve simular visual immersion.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2012, 12:07 

Do 3 projectors also do 180 degrees (or more?).

Why would 2 projectors give you a taller FOV?

Would you recommend 1080p projectors if you're only doing 2?

That is some good information, I was thinking I had to do 3.

Personally I'm just interested in "getting in the game". I just want to try iRacing, other flight simulations, and games just to feel the immersion and have friends go wow.

Thanks,
ELmO

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2012, 17:50 
Insiders
Insiders

Frankly, the 2 projector idea is brilliant. I have no idea why that never occurred to me. And you are right, it will lower the graphical power needed. By any chance do you have some videos of such a setup? It would be great to see how much more or less you get to see over 1 monitor or 3 monitors.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2012, 08:54 
Insiders
Insiders

I don't have any video of my current screen available but I do have video of the previous. This was my 120 degree 60" projection height screen with two projectors. I now use a 180 degree 72" projection height screen with two projectors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMAX4_ZY_RA

Here is the only current pic I have of my 180 degree 72" projection height screen. I need to take some updated pics and video of it. The pic below is a good example of what dual projection is capable of. Compare it to my old 150 degree screen in the NTHUSIM ad on the left side of the forums menu. You get a lot more FOV height with two projectors vs three.

Attached files

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2012, 12:49 

That looks great, can you explain to me though how:

1. 2 projectors can create 180 degrees?

2. which projectors are you using?

3. Why is the FOV taller? Are you projecting them vertically?

4. What is your final resolution?

Confused.

Thanks,
ELmO

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2012, 13:03 
Insiders
Insiders

1. Each projector is covering approximately 100 degrees of projection (including the edge blend area)

2. Optoma GT720

3. The aspect ratio of the projection dictates it. Standard landscape orientation on the projectors.

4. 2560x800 native

My example is the extreme limit I'd run 1280x800 projctors at. 72" screen height things begin to get pixelated. 60" is a lot tighter pixel, but is a trade off in immersive screen size.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2012, 17:42 

Got an email saying that the projectors are ready for pickup. I should get around to installing the mounts this weekend and trying them out.

The dual-projector setup looks awesome too. The only downside is they require edge-blending. Flat sections would put the crosshairs in the seam. That said, I'm already planning my curved screen ...

M.