Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:01

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2012, 18:59 

Hi all we are trying to come up with the most average ideal size of screen home users would want in a projection game screen.

Basically we are looking to produce a low cost standard curved or flat screen size for one two or three projector games screens.

Regards chris
Pixelwix.com

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2012, 19:24 

I don't know if I'm average but I would say something along the lines of 150-200" for me. I guess I have a larger than average lounge, but then I'm only 29 and not rich so maybe there's loads of people with much bigger lounges!!! I would say 2 PJ's would be cool, 1 is standard already. Problem is that 2 is cool, but AFAIK 3 is what you need for Nvidia 3D and then that makes the budget so much more. I seem to remember that BHawthorne made it work with 2 PJ's by fooling it into thinking there were 3.

Post subject: width
PostPosted: 03 Aug 2012, 17:46 

you're probably asking width, and not diagonal?
if diagonal, what aspect ratio are we dealing with?

I'm in a 14x14 room and want to use the diagonal of the room for the screen. So I think 15ft wide curved screen would work.

I don't think you should enter the one projector market as there are already a lot of options there, the curved dual/3 projector market is a niche that you can get some sales from.

not everyone is doing 3PJs, i think eyefinity can work with 2 (???).

3 pjs at 1080p each is costly. 3 PJs at 720ps leaves something to be desired. 2 PJs at 1080p leaves the crosshair in the middle!

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2012, 15:08 

So is this more like it?

Regards Chris
Pixelwix

Post subject: Bigger
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2012, 13:47 

OK, I was thinking 15ft WIDE (with curve integrated). In your example it is only 8ft wide. That MAY be a cost effective solution for most, but I have a feeling most have at least 10ft wide to work with (and some depth).

So I think it might need 3 projectors. Can you mock up 3 projectors and 15ft wide?

Can you redo with what that might look like? Thanks for the pictures.

Also what is your estimated cost in USD?

Thanks,
Reuben

Post subject: This is brilliant! I was
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2012, 14:32 

This is brilliant! I was looking at different eyefinity setups since the DIY skills needed to create one of these from scratch are simply not in my possession. Consider my interest registered. 8-10ft wide sounds good to me, but options are always good provided they don't make the cost shoot through the roof. I'm thinking desk space (my desk is about 8ft long) versus dedicating an entire wall like some people do with HT setups in the living room (if that makes sense). I don't suppose the screen would be light enough to clamp to a desk? That would be really ideal for me. My desk is strengthened glass, but it currently supports 3 screens at 27kg over a relatively small surface area, so I'm guessing properly spread weight wouldn't be an issue for mine or other decent quality desks.

Another thought: is it difficult/cost prohibitive to do a slightly convex screen as opposed to merely curved?

"Personally, I see it as a virtue - trying to make the world a slightly better place _without_ trying to impose your moral values on other people. You do whatever the h*ll rings your bell, I'm just an engineer who wants to make the best OS possible." - Linus Torvalds

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2012, 16:31 

Hi Nox
The frames are very light so no problem to clamp to desks but as the in the drawing it has a stand to hold the projectors.
So would you not use this idea in your situation?.
How would you place the projectors or are you thinking place them behind for rear projection?.

Spherical shapes can be done but we then have to use solid plastics which increase the cost dramatically.

Regards chris
Pixelwix

Post subject: I can do better than a
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2012, 16:45 

I can do better than a picture here is a video of a 15'
http://youtu.be/sFTrndLQ9SA

As for cost there are many different quality in the projection material used.
Our high quality wide view angle with the correct gain factor to stop hotspots and aid edge blending can be $15.99 per sq foot and at the low end be $8 per sq foot.
But we are thinking of offering just the frames alone.(Oh! We may get complaints from wives/girlfriends/moms missing some bed sheets now)

Regards chris
Pixelwix

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2012, 17:04 

Tbh I'd not really thought the idea through very well (the initial excitement was too much :bigsmile:). I was seeing it as a nice replacement for my current 3x1-L surround setup, so therefore first envisioned the screen sat on my desk. I guess I'd probably have to get a smaller desk to fit in the middle of it. The only other option I could see would be to make the screen adjustable back/forth (and I guess up and down), but that seems like overkill. Looking at the current design I could probably get most of it to hang over the desk provided the height offset was enough, so no worries. I need to think before I type.

"Personally, I see it as a virtue - trying to make the world a slightly better place _without_ trying to impose your moral values on other people. You do whatever the h*ll rings your bell, I'm just an engineer who wants to make the best OS possible." - Linus Torvalds

Post subject: How tall?
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2012, 19:04 

Chris,

How tall is that 15ft wide screen? It looks mighty short.

Thanks!
Reuben