Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:46

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2012, 00:02 

Hi so I've finally made an account because I want to try and pick your brains for some ideas...
I just bought a new home, and I am trying to figure out how best to set up my home media room. It's a penthouse apartment and the upstairs floor has a bit of an odd design to it.. I will post lots of photos so everyone can see exactly what I mean.
I am trying to figure out the best way to create a three projector set up without making the room totally useless. Later, I will use a 3d Design program in which I will show how Im thinking of setting it up.

By napalmpics at 2012-03-16
You can see that my upstairs rooms have a bit of an odd shape to them due to it being the top floor of the building. (It's a popular style in Turkey for some reason). I'm thinking that the low roof at the back could be an ideal mounting position for projectors as long as the sound isn't too distracting being right above a couch or chair. Are Optoma projectors very loud?
I figure I will put a couch a few feet from the wall, that way I have room to put all media equipment there, and run the cables to the projectors up along the wall.. as well as putting a bunch of other items back there including a Media Server, Gaming Rig, Console's etc..

Here is a photo from the entrance way, you can see how there is a sliding glass door onto the balcony as well as the door that I am taking the photo from, could be blocked off with a permanent curved screen against the big flat wall to the left. (Just off camera)
I guess I am also a bit concerned about if the projector mounted to the ceiling will be far enough to produce a nice large image..

Here is the wall where I plan to put my center screen.. Now I have two ideas running around in my head right now. The first is that I have one LARGE projector screen on this wall, and then two more projector screens at 45 degree angles to it.. (Or higher depending on space and available screen size. Now if I had one full HD 1080p projector that projected onto this wall, I could watch it with my wife when we are just relaxing and watching a movie.. blue ray planet earth or something.
But then when it got down to just myself playing on my computer in videos or desktop browsing. I can have two screens drop down on either side, cutting the edges off of the large back wall projector screen so that they are all equal sizes. (All 3 projector screens) and then I turn on my 3 Optoma's instead of the large FULL HD Projector. I can just move my gaming chair forward and away I go.. since I have 3 projectors and NOT at a curved screen, it should be easier to configue, ie. no Nthusim required. Although i would love to have a curved screen, I think it's just not practical for the room layout. What do you guys think?

Here's a pic from the hallway, just to get a better idea of where the doorway is etc..

I also have another room that I could use instead.. it was my original plan for a media room because it has very little windows so it would get darker easier. One of these rooms will be a guest room, but I guess I will have to put my guests in the dark room due to it being not the right dimensions for a 3 projector set up.. I dont know if anyone else could see how I could use it as one.. I think it's just too small and odd shaped.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2012, 15:05 
Insiders
Insiders

I'll try and give some input later in the week. I'm currently working on an installation that is taking a lot of my internet free time away from me.

Post subject: I'm having a hard time
PostPosted: 30 Mar 2012, 16:42 
Insiders
Insiders

Personally, I'd get a single GT750 and projector on that full height wall in the first picture. Use single projector for awhile and see what it's capable of. Sometimes more is not always better. I think you'll be good with a full wall projection from a single projector. You're going to need some decent blackout curtains for the windows that can be pulled open and closed though. I think you'll find even with a flat wall surface you'll get a huge full projection on it. Ceiling mount for the projector might take some experimentation though. I have one room in my house where I have just a flat wall with a GT720 projecting full width on it. I do a lot of my gaming on that setup and find it fun to use. I also watch cable tv on it because it's only a single projector and will take 720p cable tv input too via the HDMI cable.

Here is the tradeoff you need to decide. Personally I think a huge single flat wall projection would be more immersive in many ways than three small screen panels in that room.