Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 09:34

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2011, 14:09 

Hi all,
I have read a few posts as I have been thinking of changing out my 5x1 portrait eyefinity setup for a curved 3 projector setup..
I see the optoma 720 is highly recommended but have seen that it has now been replaced with a 750 model which now is blueray 3d ready.. Thing is it also seems it is not on the nvidia supported product list, so does this mean it will not work with non native 3d games such as Microsoft Flight Sim X..So would I be better of with the 720 which is supported..

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2011, 06:33 
Insiders
Insiders

You go into unknown territory with the GT750 and multi-projector. I know of noone using it yet. If you want to ensure 100% success with NVIDIA 3D Vision Surround I only suggest the GT700/GT720. I can personally guarantee the GT700/GT720 will work with 3D Vision kit and with FSX. If you are willing to experiment with the GT750 just realize that there is no one else have experimented with them yet. Success is totally unknown. The GT720 on the other hand have a solid track record with triple projector and 3D Vision kit use.

There is no definitive proof out in the public that HDMI 1.4 S3D multi-projector will even work. I would be weary of the GT750 if you're intending to do multi-projector S3D. 120hz DLP 3D capable HDMI 1.3 based projectors are best known to work for what you want to do.

Post subject: OOps just read your post
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2011, 13:50 

OOps just read your post after ordering a optoma 750, im a real spur of the moment kind of guy :)At least Ill be able to run the 750 straight off the xbox and blueray player for now..Thats the reason I went for that model instead of the 720 and Ill get a better resale should things not pan out..
Im going to rely on 7 day returns policy from the vendors for the next experiments so I will have to move quick...
I already have the ati graphics cards so I might aswell try the hd3d option..
So I could order 2 extra optoma 750's and a nvidia gtx 590 with nvidia 3d Vision glasses, then see what works and what does not..

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2011, 14:25 
Insiders
Insiders

You'll be the first to try it, so I'm really interested in how it works out.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2011, 16:27 
Insiders
Insiders

I just ran into a set of AMD marketing slides promoting the 7970. Looks like new Catalyst drivers will have Eyefinity + HD3D compatibility. No idea if that's strictly for 120hz or if it'll work also with HDMI 1.4 S3D.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2011, 18:17 

Sounds sweet,
Well arriving tomorrow I have,
Nvidia gtx590
Nvidia 3d vision 2 glasses
3x optoma gt750 xl projectors (hopefully come with glasses)
1x copy of Battlefield 3 pc
several dvi to hdmi cables
dvi to hdmi adapters
hdmi 1.4 cable..
Already have the ati 6970 graphics card and have downloaded the trials for DDD tri def and IZ3d software which is I believe needed to activate the HD3d..

First job and I assume this will be a no brainer is to test 1 projector with the xbox and blueray player with an assorment of game and movies..I already have a home theatre setup using an 8ft dalite screen with my JVC DLP1 projector so it will be interesting to see how this cheap little projector compares with my £4k JVC...
Next will be to try the PC with a single projector and since my ATI cards are already installed I will start with that..

Should be a fun couple of days and late nights.. If anyone has any suggestions and tips for testing or want to know what to look for in performance let me know now as I only have a few days to decide whether I comit to the purchase or send it all back..

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2011, 07:44 
Insiders
Insiders

Be mindful that the NVIDIA 3D Vision kit is proprietary to NVIDIA drivers. There are people working on a hack to make them work on AMD hardware on the MTBS forum. No idea if they've made any progress though. The largest challenge to S3D acceptence is the proprietary nature of all the S3D glasses and emitters on the market. They don't play well together across brands. You'll definitely have no problem getting 3D Vision kit working with the GTX590. You will have definite issues with it and anything AMD or HDMI 1.4a though.

I see conflicting information on GT750 and 3D Vision compatibility. My assumption is it has an option for either "3D Vision" or "HDMI 1.4a S3D" in the projector menus. The GT720 has an option for "3D Vision" or "DLP 3D Ready". This is pure speculation on my part if the GT750 has the setting though.

At the moment I'm rather apprehensive that multiple pieces of hardware you purchased will not work with each other in the configuration you want.

NVIDIA 3D Vision is not NVIDIA 3DTV Play.
HDMI 1.4a DLP Link 3D is not NVIDIA 3D Vision Kit compatible.
DDD/iz3D and HD3D are not NVIDIA 3D Vision compatible.
NVIDIA 3DTV Play is unknown to work with NVIDIA Surround.

If NVIDIA Surround is compatible with HDMI 1.4a DLP-Link S3D and Optoma S3D glasses, at issue is you don't want all three projectors firing off shutter glasses sync signals confusing the glasses. You only want one emitter working sending the signal.

Post subject: Im starting to see your
PostPosted: 27 Dec 2011, 23:00 

Im starting to see your points..I posted this on the nvidia forum hoping there might be a solution..

Im going crazy trying to get this setup to work..
I had seen some YouTube vids showing 3d vision surround with 3 projectors and was blown away.. My previouse setup was eyefinity 5x1 portrait using ati graphics cart it's only a few weeks old but after seeing 3d vision surround I just had to have it.. So I ordered myself a gtx 590 graphics card, a 3dvision 2 kit with the glasses and emitter and 3 optoma gt750 projectors.. Now I know the gt750 projector is not on the supported list but it predessesor the gt720 is so I just assumed newer would be better.. Testing went well at first using one gt750 with the Xbox and blue ray player.. I then tried it with the pc using the gtx590 and was a little surprised to find that although I had the nvidia glasses the nvidia setup went straight for 3dplaytv and required me to use the glasses that came with the projector. It all functioned correctly I could use the single projector with its own brand glasses to game in 3d. So I then connected up the 2 extra projectors so now I had 3 projectors hooked up using dvi to hdmi cables, setup for surround mode was a snap and I had nvidia surround within minuites.. Went to switch on 3d mode and found that stereoscopic 3d had now vanished fron the nvidia control panel... This has now lead to days of frustration and google searches trying to get this to work and I have yet to find a solution. On all my reading it seems to stem from the fact 3dtvplay is not compatible with surround and since only 3dvision works in surround and is not compatible with the newer hdmi 1.4 projectors I have I'm kind of screwed...I tried the amd hd3d solution which worked as well as the nvidia solution eyfinity worked with 3 monitors, tridef software worked with a singlr projector but only with 3 in eyefinity the tridef software turns of the 3d giving the message that it only works in single monitor output .....
The way I see it I have the following options...
1. Send back the projectors and replace them with older models that are on nvidias supported list..problem is the gt720 looks to be next to impossible to obtain in the uk as it is now discontinued, I can get some acer H5360 for a little cheaper but their longer throw makes them impractical for me.. All in all the gt750 was the best projector for me..
2. Send back all the nvidia kit and just use the eyefinity setup in 2d for now and hope tridef update the software to support 3d multiscreen in the future.. I did try iz3d but could not get that to work single screen or multiscreen..
3. Find a hack that tricks the nvidia software into seeing 3x gt720 projectors as opposed to the gt750's I have.
Personally I would like the latter I have googled but I just find a lot of info about getting non listed displays to work with 3dplaytv so people can avoid using nvidia glasses, I'm very happy to use the nvidia glasses I need to get nvidia to stop trying to use 3dplaytv and allow the 3dvision glasses to work with my projectors.
4. Give up totally for now and send back the nvidia kit and the projectors and stick with my 5x1 portrait albeit 2d until nvidia or amd update their supported products? The question is will the gt750 projectors ever be supported or is this hdmi 1.4 just incompatible for this kind of setup..

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2011, 13:09 

I dont suppose anybody has an EDID file for the GT720?
Im not sure how to do it yet but Iam thinking I might be able to trick the nvidia into thinking I have 3 GT720 not the GT750's..

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2011, 21:00 

Ive been on the nvidia forums and found a workaround for now....

just run a quick test using a file I found called acer_h5360modded like you said, device manager add driver, select driver from location pointed to that file.. I did not reboot just rightclicked descktop and opened nvidia control.. in 3d stereoscopic instead of seeing 3dtvplay logo I see nvidia 3d vision logo.. I run the setup wizard and low and behold it starts setting up the nvidia 3d glasses ....result....unfortunately when we get to the part of the setup where it asks you to look throgh left eye and select what shape you see I select the images I see pentagon, triangle click next and the wizard tells me I have a setup error, just for giggles I clicked back and selected the opposite of what I actually see through the glasses so although my left eye sees a triangle I selected the pentagon.. click next and this time it asks me if I see flickering which I do not so I continue..then the square pattern thing appears and I click ok to the warnings and finish.. It then ran the demo 3d images although there is some kind of 3d going on it does not look right so I turned my glasses upside down (i had read somewhere that optoma users were doing this) and that worked .. furthest I have got in over a week..
So to recap I have 3d using the 3d vision glasses but I am having to wear them upside down????
any ideas how to fix this?
for now im going to reopen the boxed gt750s and see if with this setup I can get the 3d surround to work.. fingers crossed...In the mean time if anybody knows why I have to wear the glasses upside down let me know..
Also if your gt720's now have the new EDID can I get a copy, Im curious if I can use this as the overide file instead of the acer one, im thinking the 720 will be a better match for the 750..I also read there is a bit of software called powerstrip that could let me replace the EDID file on the projectors themselves and avoid using any kind of overide until nvidia supports the gt750..
Thanks for your help so far, I am such a happy bunny now I am finialy starting to get results..
Its alive..ALIIIIVE ....
So it works, thankyou baby Jesus..
I hooked up my other 2 gt750's and at first I had problems, screens going off couldn't get extended monitors etc..
So I removed the monitors from device manager, reinstalled the Nvidia drivers and went into nvidia properties, set resolution of all 3 monitors to HD 1280x720 and in the menu selected activate all monitors or something to that effect.. I then chose span displays to test the surround was still working which it was.. I rebooted the computer to make sure everything came back up fine...I then disabled span displays so I now had 1 desktop and 2 extended monitors.. I then went into windows device manager and installed the acer_h5360modified.inf file for each generic monitor displayed... Then once again back into nvidia control and reactivated span displays, all seemed to be fine..
Finally went into 3d stereoscopic settings (this option was never visible when I had the spanned monitors with the default driver) and run the setup wizard.. I still had to wear my nvidia vision 2 glasses upside down but it worked..
First test was to run crysis 2...
At first I got nasty red text all over my screens complaining about resolution, but once in the menu I was able to set display using 3780x720.. and voila 3d surround gaming using 3 Optoma GT750 projectors, and oh my, it is stunning.. No time to play now though had to test Microsoft FSX, and yes it works a treat...
I was so close to sending back the gtx590 and the nvidia vision 2 glasses for a refund as time was running out on the 7 day returns policy, and sticking with my AMD cards but now the gt6970's are going on ebay..In
hindsight would it have been better buying the gt720's in the first place? Probably .. but for just £40 a projector more I have the latest optima GT750s with dl-link glasses, the ability to run an xbox or play a 3d movie using hdmi 2 on the centre projector with its own glasses and of course a higher resale value should i decide in 6 months to go 1080p and sell the gt750's...
All in all im a very happy bunny..
What would make me happier is if Nvidia would support this projector for 3d surround so that I can put my Nvidia glasses on the correct way around..:)
Ofcourse the fun does not stop here I now have to install a warp software so that I can set up the projectors on a 180 degree curved screen as that was always the intended use, I do hope I dont find driver issues with that software and my setup..