Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:29

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2011, 19:52 

Quick question that I can't seem to find the answer to ... Is it possible to run a GT720 at 120Hz in 2D mode? Any mention of 120Hz with this projector always seems to be accompanied by talk of 3D operation. Basically I'd like to use this projector as a 120Hz display for First Person Shooters so that I can actually get >60 frames/sec.

Next question is whether or not a 6970 could drive 3 of them at the 120Hz refresh rate. Thanks for any insight.

Mike

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2011, 00:11 
Insiders
Insiders

Quick question that I can't seem to find the answer to ... Is it possible to run a GT720 at 120Hz in 2D mode? Any mention of 120Hz with this projector always seems to be accompanied by talk of 3D operation. Basically I'd like to use this projector as a 120Hz display for First Person Shooters so that I can actually get >60 frames/sec.

Next question is whether or not a 6970 could drive 3 of them at the 120Hz refresh rate. Thanks for any insight.

Mike

Yes, runs just fine at 120hz non-S3D. It's like most DLP engines though and the color wheel has a smaller gamut on 120hz though. 120hz is not 120 fps. Those are two different concepts. I drive three just fine with a single 5870 E6. I quit using Crossfire because of bad micro-stutter in 11.8.

The unknown here is S3D though. No idea if the S3D drivers can sync the 120hz across all three uniformly. Non-S3D I know it works, because my system uses them 3840x720 @ 120hz using the single link mini-dp to dvi active adapters.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2011, 18:47 

Thanks BH, I was hoping you'd respond since I know you have a small collection of GT720s :) I'm not too worried about 3D operation, I just want 3x 120Hz projectors with low input lag. I'm happy to hear you got it all running with a 5870 E6 too - I have the same card.

A million more questions .... nthusim this time.
Any idea if nthusim can perform edge-blending and screen-warping at 120Hz or does it limit the refresh rate?
Is edge-blending/screen warping done all the time (desktop, browsing, email, general computer use) or does it require a OpenGL/DirectX application running full-screen? I assume edge blending runs but screen warping doesn't necessarily.
Does nthusim cause a frame rate hit?
Do you know if nthusim does its magic with the final frame buffer from the video card or if it somewhere earlier in the pipeline? I'm unsure of how involved the algorithm is, I assume it's all software running on the CPU.

I have tons more ... I should probably head to nthusim's site

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2011, 23:12 
Insiders
Insiders

Thanks BH, I was hoping you'd respond since I know you have a small collection of GT720s :) I'm not too worried about 3D operation, I just want 3x 120Hz projectors with low input lag. I'm happy to hear you got it all running with a 5870 E6 too - I have the same card.

A million more questions .... nthusim this time.
Any idea if nthusim can perform edge-blending and screen-warping at 120Hz or does it limit the refresh rate?
Is edge-blending/screen warping done all the time (desktop, browsing, email, general computer use) or does it require a OpenGL/DirectX application running full-screen? I assume edge blending runs but screen warping doesn't necessarily.
Does nthusim cause a frame rate hit?
Do you know if nthusim does its magic with the final frame buffer from the video card or if it somewhere earlier in the pipeline? I'm unsure of how involved the algorithm is, I assume it's all software running on the CPU.

I have tons more ... I should probably head to nthusim's site

I know some of the answers and a few i don't. Alex and Emanuel over at the NTHUSIM site could best explain the inner mechanics of NTHUSIM as they programmed it.

NTHUSIM works just fine with 120hz with edge blending and pre-warping. It's also S3D 120hz compatible too with NVIDIA 3D Vision kit. Pre-warping requires a full screen mode DirectX 7/8/9/10/11 or OpenGL setting. Desktop prewarping is something that can be added, but you would have to speak with Alex and Emanuel about that. They have got it working right with their SimVisuals product and the NTHUSIM product is a similar codebase. I see no notable hit in frames with NTHUSIM use personally nor input lag in the two years I've used pre-warping apps so far. I'm uncertain of the rendering order in the pipeline where it falls. That would be an Alex/Emanuel question. If it's any help in clue, when you run Fraps, it's already pre-warping before Fraps captures (which is a personal annoyance I have).