Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 13 May 2024, 05:18

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2011, 13:26 

Hi everybody,

I am trying to create a 3x3 display setup and after seeing various threads here in this forum about the combination of TH2Go and Eyefinity, I wanted to follow this route. However, I'm experiencing some problems.

First, what I need:

3 (horizontal) x3 (vertical) displays
Resolution per display: 1280x720
One primary desktop (no extended desktops) - I need this because I have a touch-frame in front of the displays and Windows 7 supports touch Input only on the primary screen.

My TEST approach is as follows (I have only 4 displays and 2 TH2Go currently):
- 2x1 displays per TH2Go and each of these TH2Go is connected via Displayport to the Eyefinity card (5870). I got the Displayport edition of TH2Go.
- One Eyefinity group 1(h) x 2(v)

I found this video here in the forum which shows a "similar" setup (4 TH2Go with Eyefinity, one primary desktop)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5L5S0cqY10&feature=related

My problem now is that I can't set the proper resolution in the AMD Catalyst Control Panel for the Eyefinity group. It only offers me 3840x2160 - however, since I am testing for the 3x3 setup (and 9xHD is too much), I want to have a 2560x1440 (1280x720 per display). When not using Eyefinity group, I can easily set each display to this resolution, but not as a group.

I also tested with 6 displays in a 3x2 configuration (three displays per TH2Go) and the result was that as soon as I created the Eyefinity group, it disabled one of my displays - I suppose this is the case as TH2Go in combination with Readeon cards does only support 3x1280x1024 (and Eyefinity always tries to set the native HD resolution).

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong here?

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2011, 14:34 

There is an upper limit to the pixel count in an Eyefinity group but I don't think you are hitting it.

You might look at the custom resolution hack people are using to get mismatched monitors working in Eyefinity.

Is it possible to use 6 of these together? In lieu of the TH2G obv.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2011, 19:44 
Insiders
Insiders

its already done long time ago (too bad I have only dp @ vga adapter so each lcd was 800x600
with dual link DVI active you can do 3840x3072 (1280x1024 per scr) I think panorama 3840x2400/2160

http://widescreengamingforum.com/node/14530

Post subject: Thanks for your
PostPosted: 31 Aug 2011, 07:54 

Thanks for your comments.

@duniek: yes I was reading that thread from you but couldn't figure out how you managed to get it to work.

Nevertheless, it seems I found a solution: The problem is that Eyefinity seems to try to use the maximum resolution possible and this causes problems in combination with TH2Go. What did the trick now just yesterday evening was to delete all multimonitor resolutions in the matrox tool other than 1280x720. It seems that now only this resolution is reported to Windows - so in case of 3x1 configuration per TH2Go it is 3840*720. Then Eyefinity successfully builds up a group of 1x2 with 3840x1440 resolution (for my 3x2 test setup with 6 displays)

Now I have to buy the third TH2Go and get the 3x3 configuration to work.

@duniek: Did you encounter any specific problems with more than two TH2Go, as Matrox officially only supports the combination of two of them?

Best,
Jens

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2011, 18:22 

I have a spare analog TH2G I will sell for cheap but this is not most people's preference.

I switch from 3xDVI output to the TH2G when I want to game but this is far from ideal for most people.