Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 11:10

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: goood starter projector?
PostPosted: 10 Aug 2011, 05:25 

looking into a projector to clear up space in my room...

right now my four monitor setup is taking up half my room and its time for a change...

was looking at two different projectors:

the Optoma GT720

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=36_491&item_id=034679

Optoma HD66

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=36_491&item_id=028989

was wondering which one would be the ideal solution for me? if 3D gaming is worth it on a projector and the long term cost are for running a projector 4-6 hours a day?

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2011, 22:17 
Insiders
Insiders

My current preference is the GT700/GT720 because of the price point. You can find them for around $500 manufacturer refurbished. I use the NVIDIA 3D Vision kit with mine. With all 120hz projection, it's a bit dark but usable. With what is available out there in the $500-600 range, I believe it is the most cost effective. It is a short throw so you'll get a very large wall sized projection at about 6-8 foot away from the projection wall. I just picked up personally my third GT720 this week in the process of swapping out my Optoma EX525ST with Optoma GT720. The GT720 have better price point, are smaller case, are short-throw (large projection at short distance) and have the DLP 3D ready and NVIDIA 3D Vision compatible settings.

I've been using Tradeport USA on ebay to puchase my factory refurbs from. Three so far and no issue. Comes with a new bulb and factory sealed.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2011, 07:29 

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B004C0Q00S/?tag=canapostcomps-20&creative=395285&creativeASIN=B004C0Q00S&linkCode=asn

I just ordered a GT720 that I price matched at NCIX.com down to $650 new. Thanks Amazon.ca
I bought it based on Bhawthorne's recommendation.

I'll update when I get it, but he's far from the only person saying good things about them.

Post subject: awesome thanks for the
PostPosted: 13 Aug 2011, 04:17 

awesome thanks for the response!

i always would like to note that this projector would be in a small room ( my bedroom)....ill get the measurements of my room and post them either tommorow or the day after...but my room is rather small....wondering how small/large screen size the projector will produce?

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2011, 06:04 
Insiders
Insiders

It's a 0.7:1 short-throw, so it'll do a large projection even in a small room. To explain what that means, I put the projector 7 feet away from the wall and the projection is 10 foot wide in either 16:9 or 16:10 setting. At 16:10 aspect ratio setting from that distance, we're talking about a 76" projection height (which is basically a full wall projection with a foot above and below not having projection). Not sure on the diagonal size, but we're talking huge.

Not everyone wants 10 foot wide projection. Most go with a mount 4-6 foot away from the wall. Short-throw ensures that HUGE home theater experience. It's fun with NVIDIA 3D Vision wall sized like that because you're basically gaming life sized with 3D depth. I love to go with a big immersive projection, while some people don't like that, the option is always there to mount the projector closer to the wall.

To get better numbers for your application, I suggest looking up Optoma GT700 or GT720 in Projector Central's Projector Calculator Pro. It'll give you pretty accurate idea on just what size of a projection you'd get at what distance.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2011, 05:45 

It's a 0.7:1 short-throw, so it'll do a large projection even in a small room. To explain what that means, I put the projector 7 feet away from the wall and the projection is 10 foot wide in either 16:9 or 16:10 setting. At 16:10 aspect ratio setting from that distance, we're talking about a 76" projection height (which is basically a full wall projection with a foot above and below not having projection). Not sure on the diagonal size, but we're talking huge.

Not everyone wants 10 foot wide projection. Most go with a mount 4-6 foot away from the wall. Short-throw ensures that HUGE home theater experience. It's fun with NVIDIA 3D Vision wall sized like that because you're basically gaming life sized with 3D depth. I love to go with a big immersive projection, while some people don't like that, the option is always there to mount the projector closer to the wall.

To get better numbers for your application, I suggest looking up Optoma GT700 or GT720 in Projector Central's Projector Calculator Pro. It'll give you pretty accurate idea on just what size of a projection you'd get at what distance.

okay thanks..well i have about 9.33 feet width wise to my room ... according to the calculator you gave me, the actually screen size would be 144" diagonally and a 122" wide..if i used my full 9.33 feet

122" is about 1 of my walls which is way too big..i mean way to big for my small room

if i bring it up to 4.5 Feet its smaller but still 6 feet wide.

can you recommend any projector that can produce a smaller screen size? that are around 700$ and do atleast 720p?.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2011, 08:00 
Insiders
Insiders

Sure, what size of projection surface are you looking for. Is the plan to mount the projector at around that 9.33 foot away from the projection surface?

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2011, 05:03 

Sure, what size of projection surface are you looking for. Is the plan to mount the projector at around that 9.33 foot away from the projection surface?

yea around there...the plan is to eventually mount the projector on the ceiling ..but for now it would be placed on a small desk till i can afford a ceiling mount.

the screen size id like would be 5 feet width wise maximum, that would be the best scenario.. if the optoma GT720 is the only good projector at the price point. ill deal with the massive screen size, Im sure id end up falling inlove with it.

i wouldnt mind the huge screen from the optoma GT720 depending how the quality of the image would look like at 720p on a such big screen for video games..

Post subject: With 1280x800 being the
PostPosted: 15 Aug 2011, 07:44 
Insiders
Insiders

With 1280x800 being minimum requirement, there are a lot of options out there that fit. The prime reason for going GT700/GT720 would be the short-throw lens. Short-throw lens doesn't really suit your end use though. I'll dig around projector central's site a bit in the next few days and come up with a short list of possibilities with a similar price range.

Post subject: BHawthorne wrote:With
PostPosted: 15 Aug 2011, 10:12 

With 1280x800 being minimum requirement, there are a lot of options out there that fit. The prime reason for going GT700/GT720 would be the short-throw lens. Short-throw lens doesn't really suit your end use though. I'll dig around projector central's site a bit in the next few days and come up with a short list of possibilities with a similar price range.

awesome...

thanks for the wonderful help !.

i was looking on the optoma website and found their calculator, and i was able to figure out that if i get the GT720 i would be able to get my desired screen size if i ceiling mount the projector 3-4feet away from the wall.

is there an ideal distance a projector should be positioned from the wall it will be projecting on?