Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 10:30

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 15 May 2011, 02:14 

Hello good people.

Been using a TH2go for many years. Mostly on 32 bit XP or Vista. Motherboard on my main system took a dive. I replaced it and upped the OS to Win 7 ultimate 64. System and TH2go working fine. All TH2go firmware, software, SGU, etc. current.

Re-installing all old programs... thought I'd start with oldest titles first.

First up is Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast. Installs fine. Runs fine. Time to set up resolution.

SGU says to run the game because it can't find any config file, even though I've already run it and saved a game. All the posts I see here about this title and resolution adjustment refer to a config file named "jk2config.cfg", supposedly in GameDatabase. This file does not exist. It does not exist in any location on my computer.

There is a file in a different location in that game folder, but it is called "setup.cfg" and I can't see any lines I'm used to about video or resolution contained therein. I've tried to experiment by just adding the lines that have been suggested by many posts to the very bottom of all the entries, but every method I try to save the file, it tells me in one form or another that "access is denied" or that I "don't have permission to save" to that location, or what have you.

On that note, whether the game problem here is resolved or not, can anyone describe and advise on the ABSOLUTE INSANITY of this "permission" issue? My User account is the only account, is set up as the Admin account, etc. How in bloody blazes is there any thing at all that I don't have permission to do? I have previously dealt with various issues that required a "run as admin" command before an action even though you are the admin, but it seems with each new OS version this particular brand of madness only increases.

Is there a general procedure for win 7 ult 64 that will set my account to never ever have to deal with any of these ridiculous permission restrictions again?

Any help on either or both of these problems would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers. :cheers

PostPosted: 16 May 2011, 11:59 
Editors
Editors

Is there a general procedure for win 7 ult 64 that will set my account to never ever have to deal with any of these ridiculous permission restrictions again?
To disable UAC: Control Panel > User Accounts > Change User Account Control Settings > "Never notify me".

No idea what's wrong with JK2, though. I haven't played this awesome game since my Win98 days...

PostPosted: 16 May 2011, 15:09 

To disable UAC: Control Panel > User Accounts > Change User Account Control Settings > "Never notify me".

No idea what's wrong with JK2, though. I haven't played this awesome game since my Win98 days...

Thanks for the input, scavvenjahh.

JKJO is indeed such a splendid game, and still holds up in every way to this day like no other title I know. From 2003 no less!

I think the problem may be the updating and patches... The first few times I loaded, updated, ran, and saved games, there was no "jk2config.cfg" and not even any "saved" folder in the GameDatabase folder, even though I could load and save games just fine. The last time I installed, I tried not patching, and the config file and save folder were then present. I had SGU alter the file for surround and make the surround shortcut on the desktop, but it didn't work and would still load in single screen, low rez. None of the icons or shortcuts run the game in surround. I was able to run in surround by running the program from the CD auto-run, though it was cut off i.e.- running in only the second and third monitor. I was able to defeat this by adjusting the powerdesk settings to a setting I did not want, namely to open items on the left screen rather than the center screen. An annoyance that I can't benefit from the game patches or center screen PD setting, but I suspect that's life and I'm sure I'll get over it somehow. :wink:

I am aware of UAC, how to turn it off, etc. but I suspect that might not have to do with UAC notifications rather than the individual file and folder permissions / run as admin scenarios I mentioned.

To alter and save the .cfg file, or any other files for that matter, I have to alter the properties, security settings, and permissions of the individual file or folder. Without doing this, I will get "access denied" or that it won't let me save to this specific location, or a host of other similar permission related nuisances. All of this regardless of the fact my account is the only account, is set as admin and owner, etc.

Like I say, I don't mind the pop up UAC process at all when something is being changed on my computer, and actually think it's a good idea (could be wrong). It's the lack (to my knowledge) of any general setting to eliminate having to alter the options and security settings / permissions for each and every file and folder, just to manipulate it. It's possible that it is indeed the UAC business, but I'd hate to lose the quick "pop up" security feature just to avoid tons of busy work to alter my files. I want full permissions and abilities for every file and folder on my computer without first having to bother with busywork, and I want every single file, folder, and program "run as admin" by default without having to jump through hoops first.

Totally possible I may be missing something very simple here, but that's currently my situation.