Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:07

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: help on visuals
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2011, 00:37 

Hi guys, hope someone here has some info on this subject, we have been running FSX on 3 52" monitors using a triplehead 2 to go, it all looks fantastic, well we have finaly stepped up and have built a full size 737 simulator where you actualy go into the cockpit and fly etc... so we decided to build 3 large flat screens to surround the sim and each screen being 8ft wide then angled around the sim, so we went with 3 benq mp 780st projectors, native 1280X800, ofcourse you can imagine the dissapointment in what we saw on the screens compared to the monitor setup, the monitors are crystal clear nice clarity, the projected image is fine however you see the pixels on the screens from 6ft away,so yes the immersion factor im sure will be much better however the view not so much. i was talking to a fellow who builds computers and also said he has built several visual systems and said that if i go with the 1080p projectors and running at 5760X1080 that i would have a real nice visual system, he said you can use 2 of the new nvidea cards and make this happen, i think these projectors have the 1080p capability, sorry guys not an expert on this subject, anyway wont drag this on much further just wondering if any of you guys have any suggestions as to make the visuals look a little more like my monitors looked clarity and less pixelated, any help would be appreciated,thanks again

best regards,Tom

Post subject: Re: help on visuals
PostPosted: 13 Apr 2011, 01:31 

Hello Astron.

Actually, I had same kind of problem with my projector Hitachi JTX100 (sooo good one!) because i saw a little of pixelisation when i was too close.
Now I have enough distance and cannot notice anymore, but, at that time, i remember i blurried just a little the focus of the the projectot. You have to find the right tweak: light enough not to be noticed at short distance, strong enough to soften the "grid effect". In any case, it's possible to improve quality and soften the harshness of pixels with keeping a high resolution quality.

Give it a try and tell us.

Bye

Axl

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2011, 10:13 
Administrators
Administrators

:welcome astron

The reason that you can see the pixels is that the projectors are running to low a resolution, or that the projectors dot pitch (the space between pixels) is to large, which is often the case with low resolution projectors such as the one you had mentioned.
You could use some new 1080p projectors which will have a tighter pixel dot pitch and thus reduce the distence between the pixels on the screen.

You can potentially still use your TH2Go device should you run each projector at 1680x1050@57hz (if the projector supports it) or look into an Nvidia SLI or ATI 6xxx series card to be able to drive 3 displays above the 1680x1050@57hz limitation of the TH2Go box.

| Gigabyte X79S-UP5-WiFi Skt2011 | i7 4820k @4.4GHz Watercooled (Ivy Bridge-E) | Corsair Vengence 32GB @2133MHz 11-11-11-27 2T Quad-Channel (8x4GB) | AMD R9-Fury-X 4GB @1140/505MHz + EKWB Watercooled | 256GB Crucial MX200 SSD | 8x 1TB Samsung F3 SATA-II | Corsair 850W TX PSU | 3x Dell S2209W 22"wide TFT's (5760x1080res) | Logitech Z-5400 5.1ch speakers | Win7 Ultimate x64 |

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2011, 15:38 

Hey Guys,thanks for the info, i think this thing has 1080p capability,but now that doesnt mean that it can change the maximum resolution which shows to be 1280X1024,is that right? which gives me 3840X1024 which triplehead to go understands as one of its resolutions. i bought these projectors based on using the triplehead to go, i wished i had understood more before i bought these projectors, so are you saying i could have bought a couple of nvidea cards tied them together to make a much higher resolution like say 5760x1024 and then would have needed projectors that would run a native resolution of 1920x1024? is this the right idea? or is there anyway to up the resolution and quality of the projectors i have now. sorry for the newbie questions on this,but ya have to learn sometime, thanks again for the help

Tom

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2011, 13:19 

the native resolution of the projectors are 1280x800 which means any other resolution will give you a worse image even if the projectors support it.

Its still using 1280x800 pixels to try and display any resolution you use.
For example. if you have a laptop, try switching it to different resolutions then its native and you will see the problem. the native resolution is always the clearest and best image.

what you really want is to go for fullhd projectors at 1920x1080, it is far the best way of doing it. there is a huge difference between 1280x800 and 1920x1080 on the same size screens. but obvioulsy they will cost more. and i would really recommend going for dual nvidia cards over ati as ati cards have problems with vsync and multiple monitors. and you will want vsync for fligh sims as it creates a smoother image.

3 x 42 inch screens @5860x1080
16 gigs xmp ram @2200

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2011, 13:42 

I totaly agree with you on the 1920X1080 projectors, the problem is i cant seem to find any that will work for me, i need a short throw of around .5 to do the job, anyone have any ideas as where to find these little critters?

Tom

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2011, 22:41 
Insiders
Insiders

I totaly agree with you on the 1920X1080 projectors, the problem is i cant seem to find any that will work for me, i need a short throw of around .5 to do the job, anyone have any ideas as where to find these little critters?

Tom

0.49 short throw don't exist for 1080p natives yet. Throw throws are typically deisgned for the academic classroom and corproate briefing room type audience. Projector manufacturers don't know there is a need for short throw 1080p yet. I wish they'd realize it sooner than later though. I want to see 1080p 3D DLP Ready in at least 0.71 short throw with HDMI 1.4a -- preferably 0.6 or 0.49 short throw. Only thing that I know that's 0.49 short throw are BenQ 1280x800 which are mostly vga input. I have no issue against analog vga input I'd just prefer a good digital port in for it. A lot about projection gaming has to do with compromising for just what is available in any form. If there was a consumer 1080p 3D DLP Ready on the market short throw, I would have it already. :wink:

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2011, 14:49 

Hi Brad,thanks for chiming in, i have followed some of your work with your projects, We are getting quite a flight sim community and many of the guys have started building full size cockpit sims,and are going the 3 projector route, but much of this has only been popular within the last couple years, and like you say the short throw projector technology just isnt moving fast enough, i think if one of these companys would make a good high res short throw, that they would have a winner on there hands, i really dont think that they have taken gamers in to account, but all in all there is a pretty big gaming community out here, not just flight simmers, that would use this technology, maybe everybody needs to start writing in to benq, and asking them to make one, but we would need alot of people bugging them, it might not be such a bad idea if you made a post here,and started gathering up people and send them to a link where they could do just that, who knows maybe in a year or so they might get the hint, now that im thinking of this i might very well go and make some posts on the various sim sites i hang out on and do the same thing.

take care for now,Tom