Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:27

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2011, 01:41 

Self Representative
Forum Regular
:( :| :) :D

O.P.

I am looking for a bit of advice regarding my selection of an external Matrox external graphic expander box.

Monitor wise, I have access to 3 x Dell U2311H 23" Monitors (1920x1080).
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&sku=320-9270

The work machine I will use with the monitors is an original 2008 MacBook Pro with a Dual-Link DVI output and a NVidia GeForce 8600GT video card (512mb).

The Matrox site states on this page (http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/mac/choice/) that the best solution for a triple monitor setup for this Mac is a Matrox TripleHead2Go Digital Edition (T2G-D3D-IF).

My only reservation is this machine may be upgraded to a newer MacBookPro sometime next year. The newest MacBookPro has a Mini Display Port (opposed to a Dual-Link DVI which my present Mac has), and in this case, Matrox advise to use a TripleHead2Go DP Edition (T2G-DP-MIF).

To future proof myself, I am wondering if I can use the newer DP Edition on my 2008 MacBookPro using some sort of Dual-Link-DVI to Mini-Display-Port adapter? If so, will resolution and / or quality of output be effected in any way?

The Matrox box is not that cheap so I want to make sure I get this right before purchasing.

BTW - If anyone has a second-hand one in good condition they are looking to sell, PM me. Thank you.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2011, 02:20 

I had a DisplayPort MacBook Pro working with a DisplayPort TripleHead2Go working with 2 screens at 1920 x 1200 when running BootCamp quite successfully but could never get it to work with the DVi model even with Apple's Mini DisplayPort -> DVI convertor. Check the reviews on Apple's & Amazon Website and you'll find loads for complaints.

Ice