Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 12:01

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2011, 10:14 

Hi all,
I am building a cylindrical projection setup utilizing 6 cheep (Optoma GT720) projectors being driving from an eyefinity 6 GPU. Is anyone aware of software which would be able to edge blend this many projectors?
I can find a few products advertising the ability to drive up to blend up to 3 projectors but i am finding zip all for information about using 6...

The setup I am working on is basically two 3 projector setups stacked ontop of each other. The main purpose of this was to double the pixel count without dropping $10,000+ on projectors.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-walk

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2011, 15:18 
Administrators
Administrators

Welcome to WSGF :welcome :)

Try starting with this thread http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=16794
Also take a look at the Nthusim software by BHawthorne hope that helps.

| Gigabyte X79S-UP5-WiFi Skt2011 | i7 4820k @4.4GHz Watercooled (Ivy Bridge-E) | Corsair Vengence 32GB @2133MHz 11-11-11-27 2T Quad-Channel (8x4GB) | AMD R9-Fury-X 4GB @1140/505MHz + EKWB Watercooled | 256GB Crucial MX200 SSD | 8x 1TB Samsung F3 SATA-II | Corsair 850W TX PSU | 3x Dell S2209W 22"wide TFT's (5760x1080res) | Logitech Z-5400 5.1ch speakers | Win7 Ultimate x64 |

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2011, 20:35 
Insiders
Insiders

Hi all,
I am building a cylindrical projection setup utilizing 6 cheep (Optoma GT720) projectors being driving from an eyefinity 6 GPU. Is anyone aware of software which would be able to edge blend this many projectors?
I can find a few products advertising the ability to drive up to blend up to 3 projectors but i am finding zip all for information about using 6...

The setup I am working on is basically two 3 projector setups stacked ontop of each other. The main purpose of this was to double the pixel count without dropping $10,000+ on projectors.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-walk

NTHUSIM is only up to three projectors configuration. This would probably require Sol7, which is significantly more expensive.

Problem is, you're trading off individual pixel count per projector for quantity and utility cost. This would be highly experimental but I'd suggest finding a 1080p projector that handles portrait rotation. I have brief experience using the BenQ W1000 in that configuration. You could then run it in 5x1P on a 5870 Eyefintiy 6 setup at 5400x1920. I'm not willing to cerify the life expectancy on the W1000 in portrait mode though. Either 5x1p or 3x2L setups would require Sol7. Andy and Alex with Immersaview could work out somethign with you for a non-commercial license for Sol7 to meet your needs. It would be best to email Immersaview about it.

I'm not understanding the mindset of 3x2L 720p vs 2x1L 1080p. The projector budget is about the same in the end and 3x2L is twice as hard to set up. Two GT720 = $1200 while One 1080p projector also = $1200, so no matter what you do your projector budget is around $3600.

Really, you want to find the shortest throw 1080p you can and just do 3x1L. The setup for 3x1L is the standard for all surround-screen gaming. It gives you the most options. Right now there is only one way to do 3x2L, and that is using an 5870 Eyefinity 6 and Win 7.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2011, 21:15 

Hey thanks for the quick response!

The problem I am running into is room size and cockpit placement. Then only way I could fill the screen properly was to use some very short throw projectors (and I couldn't find any 1080P units that had a trow ratio in the same ball park as a GT720 (without dropping ridiculous amounts of money.)

The computer that's driving this is running windows 7 on an i7930 @4.5ghz and a 5870 @1.2ghz (kinda stable.)

Dare I ask what sort of cost is involved for Sol7? Iv got a bit of a budget left but i certainly can't be spending $10,000 on blending software when my whole cost for this thing is in the $20k range... For that price I could sell these GT720s and buy projectors with built in edge blending...

Does anyone know if Nthusim is considering ever adding 3x2 support? with the advent of cheapish 6 output cards and cheapish DLPs I don't think its that crazy to say these wrap around displays are THAT far from being a mainstream thing.
-walk

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2011, 09:53 
Insiders
Insiders

Does anyone know if Nthusim is considering ever adding 3x2 support? with the advent of cheapish 6 output cards and cheapish DLPs I don't think its that crazy to say these wrap around displays are THAT far from being a mainstream thing.
-walk

Sol7 is around $4500USD. Significantly more expensive jsut to get edge blending and more than 3 projectors. Keep in mind that is their advertised commercial price. My suggestion is to email Immersaview and outline your situation and they'll be able to give you some options. My primary knowledge is with NTHUSIM but it doesn't have the edge blending you want. I'd suggest Warpalizer if you require edge blending on a budget. I have no experience with their utility though.

NTHUSIM will never have edge blending nor support for more than three projectors unless Immersaview changes thier development policy. They don't want NTHUSIM sales to interfere with Sol7 sales.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2011, 04:13 

I'm also very interested to find a solution to this exact same issue. I just got myself a eyefinity 6 card, and I have 6 projectors, but i want to set them up with a seamless image.

so far the best thing I have found is running the output of your game, or whatever image you want to see, from one computer and into another computer running a VJ type software like grand VJ: http://www.arkaos.net/product/index.php?catid=1&pid=1001&iid=42 it has built in edge blending, but I think its only for straight across images. also this VJ software Resolume : http://www.resolume.com/ recently had a new FFGL plug in written for it by a russian guy : http://www.irworkshop.com/products/mapio and he is planning on incorporating a edge blend mode in a future update.

this is something i am really interested in, please share your findings.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2011, 19:34 

Hey Sticky,
Well from what iv been able to drum up almost no one has software that will include both horizontal and vertical edge blending (with the exception of $10,000+ software...
I have been in discussions with the guys at Warpalizer and they are producing a custom build of their software which should be able to do a 3x2 projector setup with the appropriate edge blending etc, that being said it still needs to be coded...

what type of setup are you building? Im on the island (Victoria) should you find yourself over this way I would be more than happy to show you what iv managed to put together

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2011, 03:33 

oh, no way, your just over the straight, awesome.

I'm not really into gaming, but I am very interested in alot of the info on this site, cause I just got myself an eyefinity 6 card, and have been using it for my multi projector mobile video displays. I do electronic music events, art shows, business conferences, you know stuff like that.. it's not my job, just a side hobby, but i keep pretty busy. I'd love to get around to doing a full dome image, as some other threads in this sub forum have explored, the system i got to use at the aboriginal pavilion during the winter games was amazing, and I've got all the equipment to do it on my own, including the dome. just need to get it to work, without spending a fortune on Sol7

so any thing you come across, please share.

and I'll send you a PM next time I'm headed over to the island

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2011, 08:58 

The soon to be released catalyst driver 11.4 from AMD is said to support eyefinity in 5x portrait mode. (e.g. 5400x1920) This setup is close to the one you intended and will be much more economical in terms of alignment and edge blending requirement.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2011, 00:15 
Insiders
Insiders

The soon to be released catalyst driver 11.4 from AMD is said to support eyefinity in 5x portrait mode. (e.g. 5400x1920) This setup is close to the one you intended and will be much more economical in terms of alignment and edge blending requirement.

5x1P was initially released in 10.12a. It was broken in 11.1 and 11.2. I'm not too anxious to install 1.4 preview on my 5x1P setup unless I'm sure someone else can properly detect 5x1P. Currently 10.12a is working good.