Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 May 2024, 08:09

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2008, 19:27 

I am currently using an 8800GTX, analog TH2G, and three 17" NEC Multisync LCD1760V monitors - the monitors are several years old now and are starting to show age - dead pixels. I am thinking about selling off the 8800GTX and analog TH2G and getting a GTX 280, digital TH2G, and 3x 22" monitors, but I have a couple questions.

The only game I play nowadays is World of Warcraft, so that's my baseline for performance. I know it's not the most visually demanding game but at 5040x1050 that's a lot of data to push.

First question: The comp is an E6600 O/C to 3GHz, 4G of ram (still under XP, so 3.2 or so useable.) Motherboard is a gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 which I will have to replace as it does not support PCI-E 2.0 (probably with a GA-EP45-DQ6 as I've been real happy with it so far and I need the extra SATA ports.) Am I going to be CPU limited if I am running the GTX280 at 5040x1050?

Second question: There's a TON of 22" monitors out there... I know Samsung is a good brand, and the NECs have lasted pretty well. What's the difference between the 2253LW and 2253BW from Samsung? There has to be a best "bang for the buck" monitor, any thoughts?

Third question: I'll most likely get an EVGA card, I've had several and been really happy with them. Newegg has three (non-watercooled) versions, at 602, 621, 648 mhz - is the higher end really worth spending $60 more on?

Fourth question: Any suggestions as to the best place to order the TH2G-d? I'll probably order the monitors and card from newegg.

Thanks for the help.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2008, 20:44 
Administrators
Administrators

Let me see if I can answer a few of the questions for you

Motherboard is a gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 which I will have to replace as it does not support PCI-E 2.0 (probably with a GA-EP45-DQ6 as I've been real happy with it so far and I need the extra SATA ports.)

PCI-e v2.0 is just a future spec and no card that I am aware of now days can actually saturate the PCI-e bus. the specification is also fully backwards compatible as well. ( I have a ATI 4850 running in PCI-e v1 board now).

I am thinking about selling off the 8800GTX and analog TH2G and getting a GTX 280, digital TH2G, and 3x 22" monitors, but I have a couple questions.

I would have suggested the MSI 4870, but it doesn't support triple-head. :(

Third question: I'll most likely get an EVGA card, I've had several and been really happy with them. Newegg has three (non-watercooled) versions, at 602, 621, 648 mhz - is the higher end really worth spending $60 more on?

I would add MSI to the list of cards at least. I've had both EVGA and MSI cards in the past and both were better than expected. If you could, maybe get the BFG card?

Fourth question: Any suggestions as to the best place to order the TH2G-d? I'll probably order the monitors and card from newegg.

I've never been burned with newegg ($20K+ in purchases) and their RMA/return policy is great. Just my two cents honestly.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2008, 05:00 
Insiders
Insiders

The only game I play nowadays is World of Warcraft, so that's my baseline for performance. I know it's not the most visually demanding game but at 5040x1050 that's a lot of data to push.
I have never played WoW but have played Conan which is many times more graphically demanding than WoW. Even with 1 280 it plays OK, I would imagine that a 280 @5040x1050 would be fine, WoW-wise:)
Am I going to be CPU limited if I am running the GTX280 at 5040x1050?
nope quad core means nothing for WoW but running at 3GHZ you'll be fine.
the change in frame rate will probably be in the region of 5% at the most. Cos I reckon that the 280 will slaughter WoW I don't reckon it is worth it. And you are happy to overclock so if you get a good card you'll be fine. Most GTXs are happy to run upto 650-670 from what I have seen tho YMMV ;)

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2008, 17:29 

combining replies...

PCI-e v2.0 is just a future spec and no card that I am aware of now days can actually saturate the PCI-e bus. the specification is also fully backwards compatible as well. ( I have a ATI 4850 running in PCI-e v1 board now).

Really? Interesting. So the 280 will work on a motherboard that does not support the 2.0 spec?

I would have suggested the MSI 4870, but it doesn't support triple-head.

nvidia fan. ;)

I would add MSI to the list of cards at least. I've had both EVGA and MSI cards in the past and both were better than expected. If you could, maybe get the BFG card?

I have never had MSI, I like BFG too, and they're $40 cheaper for the same speed than EVGA. The step-up program is nice tho.

I have never played WoW but have played Conan which is many times more graphically demanding than WoW. Even with 1 280 it plays OK, I would imagine that a 280 @5040x1050 would be fine, WoW-wise:)

Good. That's what I want. I prefer to be able to play a game with the settings maxed out. I really hate having to turn down stuff to get performance up.

the change in frame rate will probably be in the region of 5% at the most. Cos I reckon that the 280 will slaughter WoW I don't reckon it is worth it. And you are happy to overclock so if you get a good card you'll be fine. Most GTXs are happy to run upto 650-670 from what I have seen tho YMMV

So odds are I should be able to pick up the 602mhz version and save a fair amount, works for me. :)

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2008, 18:28 

I just saw that the th2g is available at newegg, somehow I missed that before, thanks :)

What do you all think of this monitor? Acer X223 - according to the "what monitors work" thread the P223 works at 57hz, fair to assume that this one would as well?

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2008, 01:00 

Picked up three Samsung 2253LW's today at Costco, ordered the GTX 280 (EVGA version) and TH2G from Newegg. Happy camper. :)

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2008, 01:29 
Insiders
Insiders

enjoy!
:triplewide

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2008, 09:10 

Picked up three Samsung 2253LW's today at Costco, ordered the GTX 280 (EVGA version) and TH2G from Newegg. Happy camper. :)

This is basically my setup, and I'm very happy with the 2253LW's performance, TN+film TFTs have come on a long way. The nagging 'not optimal mode...' message is an annoyance, I tend to dismiss the middle message and let the side-screens just time-out after 60secs...

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2008, 15:15 

[quote]Picked up three Samsung 2253LW's today at Costco, ordered the GTX 280 (EVGA version) and TH2G from Newegg. Happy camper. :)

This is basically my setup, and I'm very happy with the 2253LW's performance, TN+film TFTs have come on a long way. The nagging 'not optimal mode...' message is an annoyance, I tend to dismiss the middle message and let the side-screens just time-out after 60secs...

I don't reboot that often, so shouldn't be a major concern. Well, I guess if it does it when coming off screensaver it'll be a little annoying.

A sort of side note - I notice in your sig that you're running 8G of RAM so I assume you're using Vista. I haven't made the switch yet, still using XP. Is it perhaps finally worth doing?

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2008, 15:39 

[quote][quote]Picked up three Samsung 2253LW's today at Costco, ordered the GTX 280 (EVGA version) and TH2G from Newegg. Happy camper. :)

I don't reboot that often, so shouldn't be a major concern. Well, I guess if it does it when coming off screensaver it'll be a little annoying.

A sort of side note - I notice in your sig that you're running 8G of RAM so I assume you're using Vista. I haven't made the switch yet, still using XP. Is it perhaps finally worth doing?

The screens won't nag you coming out of a screensaver (since a signal is still being displayed) but it will nag you after the screens power off. Nice thing with these screens are they only use ~45W each and I don't bother turning them off with the computer...3x<1W standby seems worthwhile for the hassle of fiddling around behind the clear bezel (3 times) and sticking fingerprints all over it.

Vista is superior to XP is almost every way, the nay-sayers are mostly just ignorant (and vocal!). Turn off UAC though...