Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 20 May 2024, 00:01

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2008, 04:34 

So as some of you know i purchased 2 Acer AL1622W's and they do not work @ 57Hz. So i ended up building a new PC since the one i had was in dire need of replacement anyway and the GTX260 didn't fit in it lol. I've sold 1 of my Acer monitors so far, and using my other one for my new PC untill i get 3 new monitors.

I need some suggestions on monitors that work 22'' @ 1680x1050@57hz. I know there is a thread about monitors that DONT work at 57hz that have some models that do work but most of those are old models that arent even available so what i was hoping was for like some links to newegg or any other vendor with monitors that will work. I'm looking for best bang for my buck but ill consider most monitors. Idealy i'd like to stay under $300 for each monitor, what do you guys think? Thanks!

I'm sure if this thread gets a lot of reply's it will be beneficial to a lot of people looking to put together a TH2G setup, might even end up good enough for a sticky 8)

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2008, 16:35 

I'm a big fan of the Chimei's but all of a sudden they are no longer on NewEgg (I think the company has tanked).

If I was to buy 3 new monitors, they would all be Samsung. I've bought Samsung LCD monitors over the last 7 years and not a single one has ever failed on me. In fact I'm writing this post on an old SyncMaster 914v.

I'd probably go for 3 of these

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001268

This is the monitor I use for my center monitor on my TH2GO. Now it does give you a 60sec warning that it does not support 57Hz when first booting up or changing from 3 screens to 1. But it's a minor annoyance at best.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2008, 21:38 

I was in your shoes a few weeks ago. A few things I considered was:
1. Availability- prefered to go look at them in person as well as possible
exchange if anything didnt work quite right, (local retailers).
2. Warranty- alot of company's only have a 1 year warranty on LCD panel
/backlight.
3. Reviews- did ALOT of reading of what people said about their monitors.
4. Price- of course this was a big issue. I got mine on sale and after local
taxes I was pretty close to your budget.

I ended up with three beautiful monitors without any dead pixels. I was able to have the "Geeksquad" hook them up to check for dead pixels before I left the store. I still had to return one as it only worked for about 30 minutes and died. The retailer handled it and I was good to go.

My warranty is for 3 years parts n labor on EVERYTHING. And includes a "48 hour quick swap". I called the company before purchase and was told it is actually about 3 days with shipping included. That is what sold me.
Whatever you decide I wish you luck. It sounds as if you are doing your "homework" and you should be fine.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2008, 23:19 

Thanks for the suggestion, i went with the SAMSUNG 2253BW. They had them at Costco for 229.99, picked up 3 of them. Other then on bootup when it says that its not running at its native resolution and you have to press menu or wait 60 sec they are fantastic, they look really good i'm very happy with them.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2008, 01:35 

Good job. Sounds like you excellant bang for your buck with those.
I have had Samsung in the past and never had any problems with em.
And the price you paid was very very good for what you got!!!
Woohooo!!!! Let the good times roll........lol!!! 8)

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2008, 04:57 

Thanks for the suggestion, i went with the SAMSUNG 2253BW. They had them at Costco for 229.99, picked up 3 of them. Other then on bootup when it says that its not running at its native resolution and you have to press menu or wait 60 sec they are fantastic, they look really good i'm very happy with them.

that's the exact same monitor i have! I only have one though...It's a nice monitor, the only problem with it is it bleeds a little when the screen is all black. But that doesn't bother me very much. :)

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2008, 15:59 

[quote]Thanks for the suggestion, i went with the SAMSUNG 2253BW. They had them at Costco for 229.99, picked up 3 of them. Other then on bootup when it says that its not running at its native resolution and you have to press menu or wait 60 sec they are fantastic, they look really good i'm very happy with them.

that's the exact same monitor i have! I only have one though...It's a nice monitor, the only problem with it is it bleeds a little when the screen is all black. But that doesn't bother me very much. :)

Yeah, but the bleed compared to other 22" monitors is much better. My Samsung looks 10x better then my Chimei's when watching movies with alot of dark scenes