Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 08:57

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
PostPosted: 13 Jan 2010, 04:37 

Hi guys/gals,
Unfortunately I found out about this issue just moments ago and just ordered 3 Asus MS238H monitors about 24 hrs ago. I am not sure what the minimum refresh will be at 1680x1050, but the specs on the spec page are:

Horizontal Refresh Rate 30 ~ 85 KHz
Vertical Refresh Rate 55 ~ 75 Hz

Looking at these number, is there any way of telling the answer to if these monitors will run @ 57 hz @ 1680x1050?
Main reason is, I could still cancel the order and turn UPS around and order something more suitable, but will not be able to return them once I recieve them (At least not for this reason).

Also, does the fact that they're LED Backlit (Not OLED of course) have any bearing on the above question?
Thanks for your time,
Dan

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2010, 16:11 
Editors
Editors

Added Acer 2416W as a problem model since it seems to require 57.1Hz.
Added Asus VK266H as known working.

Xantheous: No idea, but it shouldn't be a problem.
1) Refresh rates are not really an issue in Win7 anymore, thanks to this.
2) We have 5 LG monitors in the list, all are "known working" :)

Turbine777: I can't think of any reason why the LED backlighting would be a no-go @57 Hz.
The official specs are of no help, but again this issue is not as "dead-ended" as it used to be, as it seems newer drivers allow refresh rates higher than 57 Hz, which all models should be able to output without problem.
It's up to you but I'd risk it with reasonable confidence... (That's not the model I'd use for multi-monitor because of the humongous frame, but hey.)

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2010, 04:18 

Turbine777: I can't think of any reason why the LED backlighting would be a no-go @57 Hz.
The official specs are of no help, but again this issue is not as "dead-ended" as it used to be, as it seems newer drivers allow refresh rates higher than 57 Hz, which all models should be able to output without problem.
It's up to you but I'd risk it with reasonable confidence... (That's not the model I'd use for multi-monitor because of the humongous frame, but hey.)

Thanks, I got my monitors tonight and it's a no go. I've been at it all night and can't get beyond 4080x768. I wish I new about this before hand, I just hope I can return them. What a pain,,, wasn't there a time when things just worked?
Thanks again,
Dan

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2010, 04:31 
Insiders
Insiders

[quote]

Thanks, I got my monitors tonight and it's a no go. I've been at it all night and can't get beyond 4080x768. I wish I new about this before hand, I just hope I can return them. What a pain,,, wasn't there a time when things just worked?
Thanks again,
Dan
Did you update your TH2go with the latest firmware? and the latest powerdesk? You should be able to get it at much higher refresh rates using those new settings. Because that doesn't sound like its the monitors fault, but rather the TH2go.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2010, 04:46 

Did you update your TH2go with the latest firmware? and the latest powerdesk? You should be able to get it at much higher refresh rates using those new settings. Because that doesn't sound like its the monitors fault, but rather the TH2go.

I just bought the Th2go and it already has the latest firmware, 2.3.40. I also tried both the software on the cd, but first only tried 2.06 that I downloaded (before the cd software). I only did the cd software after reading the troubleshooting on their web site and the fact that the powerdesk wasn't in my task bar. Everytime I install just the download (2.06) I get nothing in the task bar. It does work however, but everytime I try to have it run the requested resolution it says "Windows has encountered a problem" during the "Change Mode" stage.
I then tried to remove it and set the resolution up in the nVidia control panel as a test, and it too failed. I also tried it for just 1680x1050 and it also failed.
Worst part is, I just chatted with Newegg and they won't take the monitors back.
Any other suggestions would be appreciated. So far it looks like I bought 3 $200 food trays.
Dan

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2010, 19:31 

I started over and still have the same problems as described above, but have a new question.
When Matrox referres to the "Dual link" I thought/think they are referring to either the card itself (I have a GTX295) or the cable going from the Trip2go and the comp. I just noticed that powerdesk no longer see's that it is Dual Link as it did with my two older monitors. Would this be because of the cables going from it to my new monitors perhaps? My cables going to the monitors are DVI-to-HDMI and look like this on the DVI end:

I'm probably chasing the wrong chicken here, but so far it's the only thing that makes sense why my res has to be this poor.

EDIT: Sorry to spam this thread with my individual issue, but wanted to update. I have talked to Newegg again and they will take the monitors back (I need to pay for shipping). I already have a VK266H, so seeing the thread above that said it works, think I may get 2 more of them but without the web cam (VW266H model).

Although it was said to work by Shrubbo, I did try to create a resolution of 1680x1050 with various refresh rates with the nVidia control panel and it says not supported. This is the proper way to test this isn't it?

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2010, 21:10 

Acer V223w and B223w should be on the "bad" list.

I reported a long time ago about my experience with Acer V223w (see "Known working" list, 3rd monitor down). It worked good enough for my needs but had issues. I've been using 3 of them happily since I first posted about them. Well, one of the monitors died and Acer sent me a replacement that was actually a better model, B223w Bbmzdr. This model will not work 3 wide with the TH2G. With the Matrox putting out 3 x 1680 x 1050 at 57hz this monitor only displays a horizontal res of 1280. I updated the Matrox to 2.3.40 and PowerDesk to 2.06 but no go.

But here's the kicker. I bought another V223w bd to match the old ones and IT DOESN'T WORK either. It does the same thing as the B223w! The vertical resolution looks just like my original V223w's but it only displays 1280 horizontal when the TH2G is set up 1680 triple wide at 57hz. If I drop back to 2 wide monitors (at 60hz) all my monitors display flawless 1680x1050.

So something has changed with the V223w bd model. Just because the model number is the same as the old ones there is no guarantee the insides are the same. It, along with the B223w, should be moved to the "bad" list.

Gripes! So now I have to buy a new set of monitors and try to sell these others (4 of them!) to recoup some $. I grow weary...

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2010, 00:37 

No it's not custom, I just installed a fresh TH2G into a fresh PC running Windows XP and using the latest Matrox PowerDesk (2.06) and the latest Nvidia drivers as of yesterday and 5040x1050x60Hz(59) was in the list of standard resolutions in the PowerDesk Setup Wizard.

It was not present in PowerDesk 2.05.

I have an 8800GT like you using 195 drivers and PD 2.06. TH2G firmware is 2.3.40. In the Mode ManagementTripleHead modes list I only see 1680x1050 at 55hz. It is preselected with a check mark that I cannot turn off. And windows Display Properties only shows 57hz for 5040x1050 resolutions. I reran the Wizard and it does not offer a 5040 59hz choice.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2010, 10:49 
Editors
Editors

Acer V223w and B223w should be on the "bad" list.
They are now.

Although it was said to work by Shrubbo, I did try to create a resolution of 1680x1050 with various refresh rates with the nVidia control panel and it says not supported. This is the proper way to test this isn't it?
Well, it sure used to be. With recent drivers however, a lot of formerly working custom resolutions are now "unsupported" somehow. :?

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2010, 21:02 

Well, it sure used to be. With recent drivers however, a lot of formerly working custom resolutions are now "unsupported" somehow. :?

I talked with Shrubbo, and they work for him without issue. He also mentioned he didn't need to do anything with nVidia control panel. I had a VK266h, and just bought 2 VW226H's (Same as the VK without the built in cam). I am in the middle of a move currently, and I have one of the new monitors at my new place and only two hooked up the moment (Need a bigger desk). I am running both at 1920x1200 with no problems and looks like it should work out fine. I will update in the next couple of weeks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next