Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 10:31

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2008, 20:25 

Well, I'm about to send my Matrox TripleHead2Go back to NewEgg. My issue:

I have 3x 22" widescreen monitors. A Chimei CMC22W, a Samsung 2253NW, and a Chimei CM22W (left to right). My desktop (Vista 64 w/ a 8800GTX) will configure 5040x1050 both using PowerDeskSE (version 2.3.2.8) and Windows Display Settings. Ok, cool, I have a wide desktop.

To achieve this, I had to un-check the box, Hide modes that thismonitor cannot display in the Advanced Properties of the Display Settings.

However, in ANY game that I pick (America's Army, BioShock, COD4, Neverwinter Nights 2, X3 Reunion and 35 other games I have installed) the max resolution that is available in-game is 3840x1024. This also applies to any games that need their configuration file modified, when using the Surround Gaming Utility v2.08 (SGU).

I called early this morning and spoke to a tech support rep, who indicated I would have to uninstall the software, uninstall the monitor drivers (Samsung) and then reinstall the PDSE software. He said that my Monitor listed in Device Manager was the issue, and that it should read Matrox Monitor, not Samsung or Generic PnP Monitor.

4 hours later, 5+ uninstalls and reinstalls, including using safe mode to uninstall the monitor drivers, I still cannot play games in 5040x1050 and Device Manager still says Generic PnP Monitor.

I called back to Matrox, got a different tech who said his computer was rebooting and could not look up my ticket number, and he tells me, it's not the configuration of the Matrox TH2G, but the configuration file of each game. For games that use windows resolution and do not require modification of the config file (i.e. the SGU program), this does not make sense to me. **let's just put aside the fact that SGU doesn't even list resolutions higher then 3840x1024 on my computer**

So he tells me, to go to Widescreen Gaming forum and look up some articles to see if I can resolve the issue. Um, hello, is this the Matrox forum? What sort of company tells their customers to go talk to other customers to help resolve an issue with their product?!? He did mention that one of their rep's reads the forums.

SO, instead of uninstalling all my games, I decided to test his "technical knowledge" and install a new game which according to the SGU is supported natively. Well... lets see what I have... oh, hey, World In Conflict is listed as native support if you have patch 1.003. Ok, no problem there since I can install 1.09 from the WIC website. Let's install that!.......(now according to this "tech's" theory, if I install a brand new game, the configuration file will be brand new, and therefor I will be able to play the game in 5040x1024.)..... installation done....

launching....

BBZZZZTTTTTT Guess it's good the tech isn't in finance or someone would be penniless. (In case you missed the sarcasm, the game did not support the 5040x1050 resolution)

June or July there was an article in Time Magazine on customer support, and how 1 customer with a good experience will tell 3 people, while a bad experience get's told to 3000. Well...here is my experience, I'll let you be the judge of the good or bad part...

So ... anyone have any ideas? Is there really a Matrox tech guy who prowls the forums? Or should I just contact NewEgg and send it back as defective product? (since that is what it seems to be)

TH2G Digital Edition
Firmware version 2.3.40
Video table version 6.52
GeForce 8800GTX
Display Driver Version 7.15.11.7519 (175.19 WHQL)
Matrox Cable: Detected
GXM modes detected: Yes
Dual-link DVI Support: Yes
Windows Vista Business
Processor:64-bit

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2008, 20:52 
Editors
Editors

Duno what is causing your problem ...

Just for the record mine does say ...
"Matrox TriplHead2Go Digital Edition as the display and I can play CoD4 ... FEAR and GRID all at 5040x1050 without issue.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2008, 21:05 

In all fairness Paddy, three games is not great. The analogue TH2go supported hundreds. Matrox have failed to mention this in their blurb. Half Life 2 doesn't support it, etc etc.

I bought three 22" widescreens for this breakthrough in resolution support. Not good mate.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2008, 21:14 
Editors
Editors

I hear ya ... I was just saying I can play some ... I haven't tried any others yet as that is all I have installed.
One of those that I can play CyberCrist says he can't ... CoD4 ...
Which makes me I think it is something going wrong in the setup/installation of the firmware update ... but god knows what.

When I get a chance I'll try a few more games ...

EDIT : ... I just tried the Death Track Demo ... it worked 5040x1050 selectable in-game.
Not the best game in the worked but it worked.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2008, 21:29 

That's true, if you can play COD4 in 5040x1050, I should be able to as well. Barring a full re-install of the OS, I'm going to try a few things. I honestly don't think I should be the one who is doing the "leg-work" to get a $329 product to work, but I'm willing to give it a try in the absence of company tech support. I'll let you know my findings.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2008, 21:31 
Editors
Editors

I just tried Mass Effect ... ok so it has no HUD with the FOV fix and so known not to be good in TH but 5040 was available in game.

I'm sure it has csomething to do with getting the Display to say it is "Matrox TriplHead2Go Digital Edition ... "

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2008, 21:50 

Hello CyberCrist,

Have you tried re-installing NVIDIA drivers for your graphics card?

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2008, 22:10 

OK.... here we go... "thankfully you all have a talented and gifted security agent..."

If your monitor is listed as Plug and Play, it needs to say Matrox TripleHead2Go Edition, if not the games will not run in 5040x1050. This is of course assuming your desktop is currently at 5040x1050.

Right click on the monitor list (i.e. Plug and Play Monitor)
Properties
Driver
Update Driver
Browse my computer for driver software
Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
have disk
browse (to your PowerDesk install directory, usually c:Program Files (x86)Matrox Graphics IncPowerDesk SE)
Highlight GXM.inf
Open
**you may get a pop up asking if you want to Trust Matrox, if so say yes**

This should install the correct monitor listing and allow you to play games in 5040x1050. I just checked COD4 and X3 (my two favorites) and I now have the option.

I hope this helps out the other people having issues.

**EDIT**

I now have the following resolutions listed in the SGU
4098x768
4320x900
5040x1050

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2008, 22:13 
Editors
Editors

Great stuff ... glad you got it working ... :D

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2008, 00:10 
Founder
Founder