Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:55

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2017, 17:19 

I have an ASUS MG279Q and was thinking about buying two extra screens to use with eyefinity.

The problem is that I don't want to run 27/27/27 since that'd be far too wide, and I just can't seem to find a widescreen that matches the height of my main monitor when used in portrait mode (PLP).
I want it to match as perfectly as possible when it comes to height and resolution, which would be 1440p.

Anyhow, I found this screen https://www.asus.com/Monitors/VT168N/overview/ and was wondering if it would work properly? If I use them in portrait mode it almost matches my main screen perfectly when it comes to height. I'd just have to setup a custom resolution to feed them a 1440p signal. It's just that they're touch-screen, not sure if it matters...

The resolution pre-bezel compensation would be 4180x1440 unless I'm mistaken.

I just don't wanna go out and waste money on a bunch of screens and a monitor arm only to find out that it doesn't work as intended.

I don't see a problem with the setup but I don't have any practical experience with eyefinity so I want to be sure. Especially since I won't even be able to test PLP out until later, since my GPU doesn't support it, so I'll mostly use them without eyefinity until AMD Vega.

I'm open for other suggestions as well, but they have to match perfectly. 4:3 or 5:4 screens that match would be optimal, but all I can find are medical-grade ones that are way too expensive. The bezel doesn't necessarily have to match as long as the "screen area" does. I just got caught up on this one since it's the same brand, same height and almost the same resolution in PLP. Not to mention it's IPS.

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2017, 16:15 
Editors
Editors

Sorry, not an Eyefinity user - but I'm struck by the resolution problem. How do you just "setup a custom resolution" of 1440p on a 768p panel ? Apparently VSR won't cut it so I wonder what you have in mind.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2017, 23:46 

It's 810p techically, remember the screen is rotated 90 degrees.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2017, 22:18 
Editors
Editors

Sorry to disappoint you, but last time i Tried the Resolutions you create as Custom ones can NOT be used for Eyefinity.
You'd have to go down to the lowest combined resolution, so running 810p on your main Monitor.
but then Again it Might be possible to use VSR on ALL monitors in Eyefinity Resolution.
Chances of it all working a low. Make sure you buy the Monitors somewhere you can Return them with no Cost in case it doesn't work!

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2017, 12:37 

Wow.. I hope you're wrong cause I got impatient with the lack of responses (I've posted this on several forums) and went ahead with the order last night. But 810p? Don't you mean 1366p in the worst case scenario since it's PLP?

But look at this http://imgur.com/a/g1aDJ
Edit: Original post https://www.reddit.com/r/battlestations ... 72717_plp/
Edit 2: Sure, it's Nvidia. But I was under the impression that AMD is even more forgiving to mixed resolutions?

That guy did the same thing but his sidescreens had an even lower native resolution than mine, 1280 set to 1440 while mine would be 1366 to 1440.

Just to clarify.. The sidescreens have a resolution of1366x768 natively. I'd then set a custom resolution of 1440x810 then use them in portrait mode (for PLP in the future) so the vertical resolution is the same. In my head I could even do this outside of eyefinity? Like with CRU or something?

Once again, I really hope you're wrong since I won't be returning them (or even be able to since too much time will have passed). Like I mentioned in my first post I won't be able to try the PLP eyefinity setup out until AMD releases new GPUs, since mine doesn't support PLP and it's not worth upgrading to a 480x from 290x imo.

Maybe I'm being naively optimistic..

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2017, 00:34 
Editors
Editors

"via SoftTH @ 5190x1440. For older DirectX 8/9 games, I can run them with bezel correction. For games my GPU struggles with, I run with bezel correction at 3892x1080. Oblivion shown here instead of Skyrim because atm I don't have it set up."
"via ShiftWindow @ 3648x1080. 1920x1080 center, 864x1080 sides. For games my GPU can handle, I can also run them at full 4864x1440 with shiftwindow. Only major problem is the lack of bezel correction."

He is using Windowed Mode for the Games, and not a nVidia Surround resolution. The Side Monitors are in extended Mode.
AFAIK nVidia does not support Surround PLP at all.
I honestly have never tried PLP on AMD either. But the last time i used toasty's CRU for a new resolution and use that for Eyefinity it failed.
Maybe using VSR and AMD's own Custom Resolution you might get it working.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2017, 14:40 
Editors
Editors

Capsicum wrote:
In my head I could even do this outside of eyefinity?
My brain hurts - but yeah, now I see what you mean. Vega is still a long way away (?) so here's hoping you do some pre-tests sans Eyefinity and keep us posted.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2017, 00:47 

I've installed the monitors and I was a bit disappointed at first. Even though it's IPS, the viewing angles are horrible in portrait mode and I didn't stop to think about the display surface which is really glare-y(?) so it seems to punish the bad viewing angles even more. I can control most of that with some planning and tinkering though so it's not a dealbreaker. I have a third party monitor stand so I can angle them somewhat to optimize the angle.

Even though the initial disappointment, it does seem promising. I'm currently running them in extended mode with a custom resolution of 810x1440 overclocked to 75hz with good results from UFO test.

Haldi wrote:
"via SoftTH @ 5190x1440. For older DirectX 8/9 games, I can run them with bezel correction. For games my GPU struggles with, I run with bezel correction at 3892x1080. Oblivion shown here instead of Skyrim because atm I don't have it set up."
"via ShiftWindow @ 3648x1080. 1920x1080 center, 864x1080 sides. For games my GPU can handle, I can also run them at full 4864x1440 with shiftwindow. Only major problem is the lack of bezel correction."

He is using Windowed Mode for the Games, and not a nVidia Surround resolution. The Side Monitors are in extended Mode.
AFAIK nVidia does not support Surround PLP at all.
I honestly have never tried PLP on AMD either. But the last time i used toasty's CRU for a new resolution and use that for Eyefinity it failed.
Maybe using VSR and AMD's own Custom Resolution you might get it working.

Ah, I see. Thanks for clearing that up! I guess I'll be using windowed mode for non-competetive games so I can utilize all the screens until I can test PLP out properly with Vega. I guess I could try regular eyefinity with the custom resolution and see what happens, not that it's any guarantee that it'd work in PLP mode as well but at least it's an indicator that custom resolutions can work OK with eyefinity.

scavvenjahh wrote:
Capsicum wrote:
In my head I could even do this outside of eyefinity?
My brain hurts - but yeah, now I see what you mean. Vega is still a long way away (?) so here's hoping you do some pre-tests sans Eyefinity and keep us posted.

Haha, sorry! :lol: Yeah, hopefully not TOO long though.

I gotta say that I'm surprised how much I enjoy the touch-function though, it's really the main reason I'm not regretting buying them. If what I've intended doesn't work as planned then I'll be putting one of them dead-center beneath my main monitor instead, to act like a controlpanel of sorts.

edit: Also, thanks for the input guys. You're the only people that have responded and like I said, I've posted this on several forums.