Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 13:19

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2016, 17:48 

Hi, I've been running a 3x1 array with 1440p, 27 inch monitors for quite a while, using an R9 280X/7970 crossfire setup. That's been working fine. I recently bought a pair of 4k monitors with the intention of switching to a 5x1 portrait array, and I'm having a number of problems.

For one, I'm using daisy chain Displayport capabilities on two of the 1440p monitors to get signal to them all. For some reason, the drivers allocate the maximum possible bandwidth to the 4k monitors rather than whatever they're actually running at. So for example it's allocating bandwidth for 4k at 75hz, despite me actually running them at 1440p, 60hz. The monitors can't even do 75hz 4k, they only support 75hz at lower resolutions. That was frustrating but I managed to fix it by lowering the bits per color, which the drivers do allocate bandwidth for based on what's actually being displayed. This seems like a driver bug to me.

Anyway, when I try to setup the eyefinity array with it like that, it works, but it sets the 4k monitors back to 4k resolution instead of 1440p they were running at prior to starting the eyefinity array creation, so I end up with a mismatched resolution array which is not what I want. I ended up using the Custom Resolution Utility to override the EDID settings of the 4k monitors to remove 4k resolution and only have 1440p available, which also solves my first issue, but when configured this way, when I begin the eyefinity setup, the screen flickers a bunch and then I end up with no eyefinity array and a seemingly random selection of resolutions and orientations applied to the monitors.

Any suggestions/help? I've checked numerous times all cable connections, pretty sure this is a software/driver issue.