Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:46

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2016, 04:22 

Just hooked up three new monitors and now my Eyefinity seems to not be working.

Had three 27" LG Flatron W2753V monitors in 5760x1080 group and just got three 27" Asus VG278HE 144hz monitors hooked up and I can't for the life of me get the group to work.

I have my two DVI monitors displaying, but they're duplicate of each other and my third HDMI monitor is saying "no signal" and going into sleep mode.

I've dicked around and around in the CCC, but nothing seems to be working.

What gives?! :cry:

Thanks

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2016, 06:48 

Did you create a new group or try to?
Is this all from a single 290x?

Can you get it to work at less than 144hz?
I am not sure if they can do less as I had not looked.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2016, 13:42 

coroner_ wrote:
Did you create a new group or try to?
Is this all from a single 290x?

Can you get it to work at less than 144hz?
I am not sure if they can do less as I had not looked.

Yes. Discarded old group and made new, but the screens don't so much as even flicker when I'm making changes. Like the CCC isn't even doing anything.

Oops, sorry about that. Yes, all from single R9 290X.

Under properties (digital flat panel), it shows "reported maximum refresh rate = 75". 144hz my ass!

Thanks for the help

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2016, 17:26 
Administrators
Administrators

How did you connect your previous 3 displays, were you using 2x DVI + an active DP to DVI adaptor?

Are you using all the same cables and adaptors you had before?

In order to push 1920x1080@144 over DVI you must use DVI-Dual-Link cables and a dual-link adaptor.

Using the following calculator I created - http://www.wsgf.org/fovcalc.php
It is possible to determine what resolutions and refresh rates require what bandwidth.

DVI single link has a maximum video bandwidth of 3.96 Gbit/s (165 MHz)
However DVI Dual-Link has a maximum bandwidth of 7.92 Gbit/s (330 MHz)

Using a resolution of 1920x1080 the maximum refresh rate that can be pushed using a DVI-Single-Link cable/adaptor is 79Hz.

However with DVI-Dual-link it is possible to run 1920x1080 with a refresh rate of up to 159Hz.

This could explain why it is that you are only able to reach the 75Hz that is displayed to you as it seems that you are using DVI-Signle-Link cables/adaptors.

Please see here the difference between DVI-D Dual and Single link cables.
Attachment:
DVI-dual-link-vs-single-link.jpg
DVI-dual-link-vs-single-link.jpg [ 17.07 KiB | Viewed 5482 times ]

Attachment:
181px-DVI_Connector_Types.svg[1].png
181px-DVI_Connector_Types.svg[1].png [ 11.99 KiB | Viewed 5486 times ]

According to HOCP the R9-290X has bought back 2x Dual-Link DVI ports, which others cards only provided 1x DVI dual link and 1x DVI single link.

If you do not already have a Displayport to DVI Dual link adaptor then here is the one I use that has proven to be very reliable (worked on my 5870E6, 7970 and now my R9-Fury-X) - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-BizLink-Di ... nk+adaptor.

In theory you should of cause be able to configure an eyefinity group that runs at the max of 75Hz with your existing cabling solution, assuming you do already have a Displayport to DVI single link active adaptor.
Note that adaptors come in both passive and active, you require an active adaptor just to be clear.

Once you have the right cables and the adaptors, or confirmed you have these then this might solve a lot of your problems.

Let us know how you get on. :)

| Gigabyte X79S-UP5-WiFi Skt2011 | i7 4820k @4.4GHz Watercooled (Ivy Bridge-E) | Corsair Vengence 32GB @2133MHz 11-11-11-27 2T Quad-Channel (8x4GB) | AMD R9-Fury-X 4GB @1140/505MHz + EKWB Watercooled | 256GB Crucial MX200 SSD | 8x 1TB Samsung F3 SATA-II | Corsair 850W TX PSU | 3x Dell S2209W 22"wide TFT's (5760x1080res) | Logitech Z-5400 5.1ch speakers | Win7 Ultimate x64 |

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2016, 03:18 

Delphium wrote:
How did you connect your previous 3 displays, were you using 2x DVI + an active DP to DVI adaptor?

Are you using all the same cables and adaptors you had before?

In order to push 1920x1080@144 over DVI you must use DVI-Dual-Link cables and a dual-link adaptor.

Using the following calculator I created - http://www.wsgf.org/fovcalc.php
It is possible to determine what resolutions and refresh rates require what bandwidth.

DVI single link has a maximum video bandwidth of 3.96 Gbit/s (165 MHz)
However DVI Dual-Link has a maximum bandwidth of 7.92 Gbit/s (330 MHz)

Using a resolution of 1920x1080 the maximum refresh rate that can be pushed using a DVI-Single-Link cable/adaptor is 79Hz.

However with DVI-Dual-link it is possible to run 1920x1080 with a refresh rate of up to 159Hz.

This could explain why it is that you are only able to reach the 75Hz that is displayed to you as it seems that you are using DVI-Signle-Link cables/adaptors.

Please see here the difference between DVI-D Dual and Single link cables.
Attachment:
DVI-dual-link-vs-single-link.jpg

Attachment:
181px-DVI_Connector_Types.svg[1].png

According to HOCP the R9-290X has bought back 2x Dual-Link DVI ports, which others cards only provided 1x DVI dual link and 1x DVI single link.

If you do not already have a Displayport to DVI Dual link adaptor then here is the one I use that has proven to be very reliable (worked on my 5870E6, 7970 and now my R9-Fury-X) - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-BizLink-Di ... nk+adaptor.

In theory you should of cause be able to configure an eyefinity group that runs at the max of 75Hz with your existing cabling solution, assuming you do already have a Displayport to DVI single link active adaptor.
Note that adaptors come in both passive and active, you require an active adaptor just to be clear.

Once you have the right cables and the adaptors, or confirmed you have these then this might solve a lot of your problems.

Let us know how you get on. :)

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

I'm using the exact same cables as before. I never even unplugged them from the GPU. Even using the same power cords. Really was hoping for plug and play.

I'm using two DVI-D dual link cables for my left and middle monitor, and an HDMI for the third, right monitor. I've been using it this way, in Eyefinity, since I've had the R9 290X, which has been for at least a year now. When I had the HD 5870, I ran an active Display Port to DVI-D dual link adapter. But when I upgraded GPU, I no longer required the active DP adapter because the card (5870) went from analog to digital (290X) based on what I read online. Everything worked perfectly for a year or so until one of my monitors died. Now I've got these "fancy" 144hz monitors and I'm having problems. lol

So, based on the good cables I'm using and that nothing has changed except the monitors and that the old monitors worked with my current setup, what's next to look into? My next thought was uninstalling CCC and reinstalling....

I'm really at a loss! :(

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2016, 05:53 

Hard to say...
This prompted me to try something.
I have been using Single link DVI-D to DVI port, Single link DVI-D to DVI port, and Single link DVI-I (it says) to a passive DVI to Mini DisplayPort adapter.
This config gives me the VSR of 7680 x1440.

I switched out one cable to HDMI, then it did not matter if I used the DP adapter or not... I could no longer get the VSR to give me 7680 x 1440.
I expected better bandwidth but it did not play out that way at all.

On a maybe related note, I ran into a screen telling me it could not apply the config one of the times when trying to create a new eyefinity group... I restarted the pc and it then let me setup a new eyefinity group.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2016, 13:45 

coroner_ wrote:
Hard to say...
This prompted me to try something.
I have been using Single link DVI-D to DVI port, Single link DVI-D to DVI port, and Single link DVI-I (it says) to a passive DVI to Mini DisplayPort adapter.
This config gives me the VSR of 7680 x1440.

I switched out one cable to HDMI, then it did not matter if I used the DP adapter or not... I could no longer get the VSR to give me 7680 x 1440.
I expected better bandwidth but it did not play out that way at all.

On a maybe related note, I ran into a screen telling me it could not apply the config one of the times when trying to create a new eyefinity group... I restarted the pc and it then let me setup a new eyefinity group.

Interesting. Considered going for the 1440p monitors. How you like them? I settled on the good ole 1080p. I'm sure I'll be happy with them if I get them to work properly in Eyefinity. lol

I really feel like it's not cable related since these exact cables had worked before. I think it's software. When I get a chance, I think I'll uninstall CCC and see what happens. But I just bought a boat and that's been taking up my evenings and my days are filled with having to go to work. It's a shame I have to work for a living, ain't it? :crazy:

Thanks, ya'll. If ya'll come up with any more ideas in the meantime, do tell! :thumbup:

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2016, 02:24 

That is the thing... my monitors are Asus VS238H-P's and are only 1080p monitors so I should be stuck at 5760 x 1080. The Crimson drivers Virtual Super Resolution option is giving me the ability to use 7680 x 1440 ... above what the monitor says to support, and with these single link DVI cables.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2016, 05:01 
Editors
Editors

That's not how VSR works.
VSR does the Up and downscaling on the GPU and only sends a 1920x1080 pixel signal to the Monitor.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2016, 12:24 
Administrators
Administrators

ITSANSS wrote:
Thanks for taking the time to respond!

I'm using the exact same cables as before. I never even unplugged them from the GPU. Even using the same power cords. Really was hoping for plug and play.

I'm using two DVI-D dual link cables for my left and middle monitor, and an HDMI for the third, right monitor. I've been using it this way, in Eyefinity, since I've had the R9 290X, which has been for at least a year now. When I had the HD 5870, I ran an active Display Port to DVI-D dual link adapter. But when I upgraded GPU, I no longer required the active DP adapter because the card (5870) went from analog to digital (290X) based on what I read online. Everything worked perfectly for a year or so until one of my monitors died. Now I've got these "fancy" 144hz monitors and I'm having problems. lol

So, based on the good cables I'm using and that nothing has changed except the monitors and that the old monitors worked with my current setup, what's next to look into? My next thought was uninstalling CCC and reinstalling....

I'm really at a loss! :(

May I ask, have you tried swapping out the HDMI connection for the displayport to dvi dual link active adaptor you have?

I suspect that in order for the DVI+DVI+HDMI combo to work, the TMDS clock signal used for VGA/DVI/HDMI video signals (of which there is often 2 chips installed in a GPU, with each chip providing 2 clock signals) was split so that a single TMDS chip can provide DVI-single-link to 2x outputs, or a single TMDS chip to drive 1x DVI-dual-link as dual-link requires 2 clocks.

This is similar to how the Sapphire Flex Edition cards work, but splitting the TMDS signal outputs, this however only works for monitors below 1920x1200@60Hz.

Try swapping out your HDMI connection for the Displayport to dual link DVI and I suspect this will work.

| Gigabyte X79S-UP5-WiFi Skt2011 | i7 4820k @4.4GHz Watercooled (Ivy Bridge-E) | Corsair Vengence 32GB @2133MHz 11-11-11-27 2T Quad-Channel (8x4GB) | AMD R9-Fury-X 4GB @1140/505MHz + EKWB Watercooled | 256GB Crucial MX200 SSD | 8x 1TB Samsung F3 SATA-II | Corsair 850W TX PSU | 3x Dell S2209W 22"wide TFT's (5760x1080res) | Logitech Z-5400 5.1ch speakers | Win7 Ultimate x64 |