Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:30

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2015, 18:23 

Hey Guys,

I have been a long time user of a P.L.P. setup (20"x30"x20") which is to me the ultimate setup for multimonitor gaming.

I read last week that with beta driver 15.3 and an R9285 card, Eyefinity would work on mixed orientation screen (i.e. P.L.P.)

My initial thought was that if it worked on the 285 it should work on the 290.

However this is not the case!
I bought a R9 290, took it home, tested it and the function was not there! I took it back and got two R9 285 cards, and it works perfectly!!

Here is a quick video proof of it working
(2x R9 285 crossfire - Eyefinity on P.L.P)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB-I2XZtFfw

Last edited by Haldi on 09 Apr 2015, 22:49, edited 1 time in total.
fixed Video embed

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2015, 08:06 
Insiders
Insiders

Sexy.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2015, 22:54 
Editors
Editors

fixed your video embed :)

i assume your side monitors have the exact same pixel count in height as the middle monitor?
I wonder what would happen if they are physically the same size, but do not have the same pixel height.

btw... is it possible to activate Vsync ?
The refresh rate on the side Monitors is going from right->left instead of top->bottom have you noticed any strange kind of tearing or similar?

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2015, 16:59 

nothing that I have noticed. Given its for peripheral, so Im not staring at it.

As for my setup, yes the 30 flanked by two 20" at 1600x1200 work perfectly and are matched.

However, I did see that the driver enables monitors of non matching resolutions. so if you have 3 widescreen monitors, and you turn the sides to portrait, it will work, and you can set in the CCC how to handle the image. so it will black out the unused portions.

PostPosted: 22 May 2015, 04:18 

I have a Dell 3014, and two Dell 2007FP.

I'm using PLP on a R9 285 card. Just set it up last night.

I have a couple issues I'd like some feedback on.

1) some of my games my mouse cursor disappears and I can't do anything - Well in fact the only game that works perfectly so far that I've tried is Dirt Rally.

Path of Exile - the mouse cursor disappears when I go to 5146x1600 (or any lesser eyefinity resolution)
Guild Wars 2 - the mouse cursor disappears when I go to eyefinity resolutions
Depth - the game crashes when I try any eyefinity resolution
Mortal Kombat X- the game doesn't seem to support eyefinity resolutions - doesn't even give me the option to change to an eyefinity res
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare - the FOV is so jacked up that there is horrendous stretching outside of the 2560x1600 panel with eyefinity. It doesn't let you change the FOV in game apparently, and seems to default to 90?
Gas Guzzlers Extreme - Might be working? - hard to tell I just got the game and there is weird rainbow flashing around the perimeters of the screen when driving - not sure if that's a video artifact or in the game, since I haven't played with another card before -- but I suspect it's a driver glitch of some sort?

So suffice to say it's a little disappointing to see all these little glitches, with only maybe one or two of the games I tried working as expected without tinkering.

Also - I notice some bad vsync type tearing on the two portrait Dell 2007FP monitors at about 2/3's height if they were upright or about 2/3's in from the respective outsides. It's not too big a deal because it's in the peripheral - but it's definitely there. I have vsync enabled. Is this caused because I am using the monitors in portrait? Is there a fix for that? It might be a deal breaker on this config for me.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm new to multimontor gaming for the most part - I've dabbled with briefly a couple times in the past, but not for very long because I didn't feel it was ready for prime time. SURELY several years later they've got this figured out?!?!?

I'm also new to AMD. I've been a died in the wool Nvidia fan since 3dfx went kaput, and solely ventured this way because of the PLP support. (I bought a Dell 30" a couple years ago and a couple 20" Dell to flank it and then learned there wasn't any way to do PLP -- figured I"d hold onto the monitors until the driver support was introduced on a card, and only found out in the last month or so that it was now available solely on the AMD R9 285. Well that set in motion my purchase.

On a positive note I'm happy to see this AMD 285 card seems noticeably faster than my outgoing GTX 670 card. I expected it would be a lateral move mostly, but it actually does seem to be a little faster than just lateral. I can play Mortal Kombat X at 2560x1600 with no slowdowns at max settings and I couldn't with the Nvidia card.

Dirt Rally gets 35FPS on ultra settings at 5146x1600 and looks fantastic (aside from the steady vertical vsynch tears on the two outside portrait monitors). I'm surprised a single 2GB card can get 35FPS on ultra settings at 5146x1600 resolution (bezel corrected)! That's pretty impressive!

My system is Windows 8.1, with an Intel 4770K and 16GB of RAM. Nothing is overclocked at this time.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2015, 17:53 

I have seen the mouse curser go away a couple of times, but only after an Alt +tab in CSGO.

I have yet to come across a game that this doesnt work on.
I have tried:
CSGO
BF4
Left4Dead2
H1Z1
GTA5
Miscreated

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2015, 18:32 
Insiders
Insiders

Cool. I'll ..eventually... be doing 20-32-20 inc, and this post pleases me. Originally was looking at matching the centre pixel count with 1440x900 sides, but it seems that your mis-matched heights work well. Having only 900 pixels width Would be odd for viewing pages of text.

So, when running in Eyefintiy on your desktop, do the drivers scale whatever matches your centre, and displays on the sides, or are teh images on there actually a trimmed native res? Since I run in EF pretty much all the time, I've been wondering about this.

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2015, 05:14 
Insiders
Insiders

Re 900 px width sides usability: actually works very decent for Word, Excel, surfing (most webpages have a stupid amount of margin). It's snug for sure, but works pretty good & sufficient in general for secondary monitors. So not a deal-breaker. Some people would prefer fatter sides, all comes down to preference. 20-32-20 layout's sides are slim, but within realm of normal PLP. There are good reasons for slim or fat. (BTW Thebutcher & Archaea have 20-30-20 Classic layout, which has flush-fitting semi-fat sides with ~ zero hang. Side width compensates for layout's center, which is semi-tall & semi-slim).

Eyefinity drivers are not smart regarding pixel size. Doesn't scale pixels on sides to match center.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2015, 20:32 
Insiders
Insiders

Well i wound up keeping my 24" and now I'm on 24" 16:10 - 32" 16:9 - 24" 16;10. Works pretty well. The pixels density is close enough that the difference in top/bottom edges is less than a centimeter. I thought that the overhang would bug me, but Since games running Eyefinity letterbox properly, I don't notice yet, yet I still have a huge portrait area to work with pages. Now I'm considering getting another IPS that the 32" replaced, to replace teh TNs I ahve for sides. They're oriented witht eh top edge towards teh center adn face me directly, so the colors are fine.. but the TN-esque edges are not so ideal.

Setup and alignment was easy-peasy using 15.10beta drivers on a Fury X.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2015, 00:57 
Insiders
Insiders

Abram, I am assuming that you achieved perfect perceived pixel lineup? (by slightly adjusting your side-monitor positions)

Your PLP setup sounds great. Using those semi-fat sides will give you bigger overall gaming-canvas with ample width on sides for peripheral vision.
Sides also a good deal roomier for work (than if you went with smaller & no hang).

Fury X is a beast. How well does it drive your PLP setup? (you have 7,142,400 gaming pixels I think)

Are you this layout? (I can't remember)
Attachment:
Shape280_2560x1440_1920x1200_PLP.jpg
Shape280_2560x1440_1920x1200_PLP.jpg [ 44.61 KiB | Viewed 4488 times ]

http://plp-gaming.wikia.com/wiki/Big_Medium-Heavy_PLP_Layouts#.7E24-32-.7E24_2560x1440_1920x1200

If so, there's a good chance you'll achieve hide-a-bezel (ie sides fitting in front of center bezel, hugging tightly).