Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 15:44

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2015, 15:11 

Good Afternoon,

its been a while where i did a post.
Well i am having some trouble and hoping for others with experience who had the same issue. Since its more an issue with ATI itself instead of Eyefinity i dont know if its the right forum, but here might be the right guy with a setup like mine.

Hardware
i7-920 @4.GHz watercooled, MSI X58 Pro-E NB,SB,MF watercooled, 1200W PSU BeQuiet P8, TUL R9 280x and Powercolor 7970 in crossfire and watercooled.
The system with that hardware works quite nice since a year, its an older CPU and MB, but until now i did not need to replace. OS is Windows 7 64Bit Ultimate.
Where did the trouble begin?

Shutting down resulted in a timeout, it didnt power down, and after a time the bluescreen of power state failure appeared.

So i checked google which told me it maybe an usb device which could not be powered down by windows. Checking the device manager showed me a problem with an HD Audio Device, the device could not be activated by resource conflict.
So changing the view to "by connection" i found out its the 7970 HD Audio Controller.
Since everything is plugged into the r9 280x i deactivated the device, because its unused. For audio i primary use a logitech g35.

So what happened next, atikmdag.sys bluescreen, when shutting down, or starting a game. So i updated to driver to 14.12 omega without success, used the ati clean uninstall tool, with reboots between, fell back to 14.09 driver with no success, and meanwhile starting up resulted in message of ccc that no ati card could be found on only one of the 4 screens, rebooting gave me mostly a fix for that failure, but all the time the HD Audio Controller is reported by windows as stopped due to a problem.

The last i did was expanding the atikmdag.sys for the unzipped ati driver folder and put that after renaming the old one in c:\windows:/system32/driver. It is a little bit too fresh to to say if its the fix or not, but

i also had messages that the whole 7970 could not be activated by windows because of no free ressources, and googling that led me to a bios problem with hardware adresses.

At the moment its a frustrating game of restarting the computer until eyefinity works as intended, and if it does, the hd audio is always marked in the device manager as "not working" and stopped.

I hoping for some advice, my next plan is a reinstall of windows, which is the same mess (installing vista, upgrading to 7 because i only have a upgrade) as getting the 7970 out of the system which would mean to empty the water and changing the coolance to single graphic.
I am not sure if its a software / driver problem or maybe a hardware failure of the 7970 or the mainboard.
Temperatures where all fine, CPU Core doesnt get over 60C under benchmarking and normal gameplay not over 45C, NB, MB are about 30-40C, and the r9 280x tells me about 45C. So there should not be any too high temperature, the 7970 is about 3 years, the r9 almost 1, but CPU and MB about 6-7 years.

Did anyone have a problem like this and can tell me what his solution was, or what you think the problem is?
Thank you!

1st: [email protected], MSI X58 Pro-e, 24 GB Tripplechannel 1333, TUL R9 280X and Powercolor 7970 @ Crossfire with 2x Samsung 226CW 1x Dell P2210 @ 5040x1050 and Iiyama 2250MTS @ 1920x1080, Bequit Darkpower P8 1200W, G13, G15, G35, Hotas Warthog, Saitek Rudder, Saitek Yoke, Obutto R3volution Cockpit
http://ralfesser.de

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2015, 17:20 
Editors
Editors

Are you sure it's the 7970's fault?
Just try unplugging the powerchords for the 7970 and see if it boots. If not unplug the 7970. If you cannot let it rest anyhow ask for someone's help to hold the card for 5 minutes and boot like this.

Do you have any monitors with HDMI connected and integrated speakers?
Or do you have an onboard soundchip from Realtek?

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2015, 08:06 

Good Morning,

Unfortunally yes, i totally removed The 7970, and then every problem is gone :(

All Monitors where connected to The r9, also one with hdmi and speakers, also realtek onboard, The first i did was to reinstall ati hdmi 2.70 audio and realtek audio drivers.
Then Fallback to 14.09 ati driver, all with no success,

Now after removing The 7970 it works. Its a powercolor now out of warranty period.

1st: [email protected], MSI X58 Pro-e, 24 GB Tripplechannel 1333, TUL R9 280X and Powercolor 7970 @ Crossfire with 2x Samsung 226CW 1x Dell P2210 @ 5040x1050 and Iiyama 2250MTS @ 1920x1080, Bequit Darkpower P8 1200W, G13, G15, G35, Hotas Warthog, Saitek Rudder, Saitek Yoke, Obutto R3volution Cockpit
http://ralfesser.de