Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 10:50

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2014, 06:17 

Hello, everyone. I'm new here, hoping maybe you can help me with a problem I'm having. Thanks for your time. :)

This is my stuff:
3 x Philips 27" LED 1080p Monitors (VGA/DVI/HDMI).
ASUS Radeon HD 7970 DirectCU II TOP (2 x DVI and 4 x DP (full size, not mini-DP).
3 x DVI Cables (with optionally 1-3 Active DP to DVI converters).
Running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit and Catalyst 14.9 (or whichever one was the latest a couple days ago).

Problem #1:
My center monitor is connected to a DP port (Active DP to DVI converter), and the side monitors are both connected to the DVI ports on my graphics card. Every time I reinstall or update the Catalyst drivers, my third monitor goes dark and can't be detected. Then I restart my computer a lot, pull cables in and out, turn the monitors off and on and monkey around for a bit and suddenly it works again, for no apparent reason. Why is this happening?

Problem #2:
When I connect the monitors to the graphics card using DVI + DVI + DP (with one Active DP to DVI converter, as described above), I'm getting sick screen tearing on both the monitors which are connected directly to the DVI ports. I went and Googled this stuff, and I found out that this issue is quite common with the 7970's. I also read somewhere that this problem could be solved by using only the DP ports. So, I went out and bought two more Active DP to DVI converters, and...

Problem #3:
When I connect my monitors to the graphics card using 3 x DVI cables with an Active DP to DVI converter on each cable (using only DP ports on the graphics card), my third monitor can't be detected! I've been messing around with it, as usual, but this time it's done me no good.

I've already tried seeking help for this issue on the AMD forums, but it seems nobody there wants to touch this issue with ten foot pole. Here's a link to my post there, which contains a potentially more detailed description of the situation): http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview. ... erthread=y