Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:46

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2014, 17:03 

Hey everyone,

Sorry for really basic questions, but I was just looking at the Dark Souls II fix for eyefinity, and it mentions "windowed" but I'm not entirely sure what this means?

Does this mean I cannot play it across three screens with fullscreen enabled, hence preventing me from using two Radeon cards in crossfire?

My other query is about eyefinity with non-standard resolutions.

I know you can mix and match resolutions with AMD cards, and I was considering doing two 1080p 16:9 monitors with a 21:9 1080p monitor in the centre.

Are the fixes provided by Flawless Widescreen/Widescreen fixer universal, or would I likely suffer from poorly optimised fixes, given the odd resolution?

Thanks for all your help in advance :)

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2014, 04:31 
Editors
Editors

Dopefish, HaYDeN, or Helifax please correct me if I'm wrong, but my guess is none of their programs or plugins have optimizations directly related to engine performance. Most fixes force a game to recognize a particular resolution with a corrected FOV, appropriate for whatever setup you a running. How an engine copes with being told to support such custom display settings is up to all the other aspects of how the engine was coded (object culling, draw distance, texture load, and so on). Some engines handle this gracefully, some don't. It will vary from game to game. Generally speaking, increasing your overall surround display resolution will probably incur a performance hit of some kind, regardless of the particular aspect ratios of your monitors.

I'll have to punt on your question about windowed mode and eyefinity due to lack of first hand knowledge.

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2014, 03:22 

GeneralAdmission wrote:
Dopefish, HaYDeN, or Helifax please correct me if I'm wrong, but my guess is none of their programs or plugins have optimizations directly related to engine performance. Most fixes force a game to recognize a particular resolution with a corrected FOV, appropriate for whatever setup you a running. How an engine copes with being told to support such custom display settings is up to all the other aspects of how the engine was coded (object culling, draw distance, texture load, and so on). Some engines handle this gracefully, some don't. It will vary from game to game. Generally speaking, increasing your overall surround display resolution will probably incur a performance hit of some kind, regardless of the particular aspect ratios of your monitors.

I'll have to punt on your question about windowed mode and eyefinity due to lack of first hand knowledge.

Thank you for your response, so to clarify, the developers optimise games to work at certain common resolutions or aspect ratios, such as 5760x1080p and do not create a more generic fix for everything else?

I apologise for my newby understanding, and thank you for your help :P