Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 09:20

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2014, 11:33 

Morning -

First post, so apologies if I step too much on well-trodden ground.

I recently bought an AOC q2963pm UWHD monitor, and am extremely happy with my purchase, and originally bought that in preference to running an eyefinity setup and buying two extra 1080p monitors.

However with the newest AMD Beta drivers offering a mixed mode eyefinity, and with the UWHD being just that extra wider as to push bezels out that bit further from a central focus, the lure of the eyefinity dark side is strong.

So I'm considering buying that second 1080p, as I've tried mult-res eyefinity with my old monitor and it works fine except for the screen tearing, which I understand comes from trying to run one monitor using DP and the other HDMI.

The layout I'm considering is 1080p - UWHD - 1080p giving me a 6400x1080 display group, when active.

Unfortunately my XFX HD7950 only has two mDP ports, but handily my UWHD monitor has DP passthrough/ daisy chain.

So after all that 'scene-setting', if I buy something like the AOC i2369vm which comes with Displayport and attach to my second mDP Port, can I use a DP -> HDMI adapter out of my UWHD into my old samsung S23B500V and will I be able to stop the screen tearing on the HDMI monitor? Also will it need to be an active or passive DP-> HDMI, or will clock syncing the HDMI to the DP clock work fine?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the wall of text :)