Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 13:56

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: eyefinity noob
PostPosted: 10 Apr 2014, 18:24 

Hello, i apologize if this might have been answered previously, i read through a bunch of threads but none seem to address my specific ask.....

Ii just recently set up my eyefinity, and it works great (I really only play swtor and other mmo's) really pleased, but my frame rates took a beating.

I am using a single 7970 and frames in swtor dropped from ~80-100 down to low 30 - mid 20s... I have turned off / down a bunch of the graphic options and got my frames back to ~60 which is fine by me.

My question is, would a single 290x allow for max settings @5760x1080?
assuming yes, does the 290x allow for a fourth monitor to run desktop applications (i.e. browser, voice chat client, etc.) outside of the eyefinity group?

current hardware:
i5 4670k
16gb ram (upping to 32 this week, overkill i know but the price was right :thumbup: )
PowerColor PCS+ HD7970 3GB
2x 27" 1920x1080 + 1x 24" 1920x1080 (eyefinity)

wanting to run a fourth monitor of any size outside of the grouping for desktop applications.

any assistance is greatly appreciated, and please let me know if i have not provided enough information.

Post subject: Re: eyefinity noob
PostPosted: 10 Apr 2014, 18:40 
Editors
Editors

Hi, :welcome

But i have to mention your choice of topic title is very poor.

For your Problem, the 290x does have about 20-40% more Performance than a 7970 But it will still be hard to reach constant 60+ FPS on Higher settings, Currently i'm running Elder Scrolls Online on 5760x1080 with a 290 and Ultra Preset Settings, thats about 35-45 FPS

For the 4 Monitors question, yes that should be possible!
The New Generation Cards supports 2x DVI + HDMI + DP so you can use 4 Monitors from one card.
Assuming you have the reference design.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2014, 20:45 

thx for the reply, and sorry about the title choice :(

anything above 30 -35 frames would make me reasonably happy, as that would should prevent the slideshow effect :)

i have not yet tried ESO, but i'm assuming it would be more demanding than swtor (my main pass time tbh) so if assumptions are correct, than 35-45 frames you are getting should translate to roughly ~40ish (fairly consistently) on swtor? (best guess would acceptable) - are you running the 290 or the 290x? (if your results are from the 290, then i should stand to gain slightly more from the 290x?)

my fear is that i will blow $600 plus on a 290x and it will not improve my gameplay experience, but buying a 280x to crossfire it doesn't make logical sense to me as they are running @ around $500 (from what i gather the prices are staying high due to miner demand?)

btw the card that i am debating on is the Powercolor 290X PCS+ - so should be good for 3 +1 setup?

thanks again.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2014, 22:31 
Editors
Editors

i have an overclocked 290, brings more performance than a normal 290x and is affordable.

Crossfire 280x aka 7970 is not reccomended, even after AMD brought out the anti micro stutter Eyefinity driver it's still not perfect. 290 crossfire is way better.

As to which card is best, they all got the same Chip and RAM, the only real difference is the cooling.
(or sometimes the aviable Monitor outputs)

As for the performance of SWTOR.. seems hard to find realiable Benchmarks in 5760x1080 or 4090x2160