Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:19

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2014, 02:11 

Dear Widescreengamers,

As mentioned in the other topic I just opened, I have two issues regarding my multi-monitor setup. I have been using my setup for years and every now and then I search the internets for help on these issues. So far without luck.
My second issue is related to Hydravision (I guess, maybe it's Windows ?). I have a Hydragrid that divides the Single large screen in 3 sections, corresponding to my 3 monitors in Landscape mode. Works like a charm, I can just click Maximize and windows will maximize to one screen instead of the Single Large Display. Also, Windows 7 remembers window size and position. Except for one situation: If I maximize a window to 1 screen, then close it and later reopen that window, the window will suddenly span the Single Large Display, instead of the screen it used to be on. I find this rather frustrating because it ALWAYS happens. Every time I open and close my internet browser, Word, Excell, anything, I have to press Restore Down, drag it to the desired screen and Maximize to return it to its previous position. This is so time inefficient and frustrating that I find myself leaving my browser open, just so that I won't have to restore its position :crazy:

Does everyone just accept this annoyance, or is the solution so obvious that I'm just the only one that hasn't figured it out yet ?
(OR: am I just suffering from an acute attack of Autism/OCD or something and should I just accept this? )

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2014, 19:55 
Editors
Editors

I don't know how many people really are using HydraGrid.

Me myself i just use extended desktop because every time i've tried HydraGrid till now i've not been satisfied with what it did.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2014, 00:34 

Uhm, thanks for mentioning the option for Extended desktop, but that is not really an answer to my question, is it?
Does the Extended desktop solution actually solve my issues? And if so, how do I enable that (also see my other topic to which you responded as well)?
Also, could you maybe elaborate on your statement "I've not been satisfied with what [Hydravision] does"? Because this is not really helpful. Why was it not satisfying, what did you want to achieve in the first place and what does extended desktop do that you couldn't do with Eyefinity+Hydravision?
And I assume that there are quite a lot of people using Hydravision (relatively spoken of course, because who uses Eyefinity, right?), otherwise AMD would probably discontinue it. :think:

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2014, 19:23 
Editors
Editors

I cannot say how many people do or don't use Hydra vision.
But the few Eyefinity users I talk with regularly prefer Win+P because Hydra vision is not perfect.
A few flaws it had when I tried it (has to be 2-3years ago) was that only windows maximized by clicking the button would snap. Pressing F11 would span over all 3 monitors, also YouTube videos( all flash videos) would not maximize on a single screen.
Therefore I only activate my Eyefinity Setup only for gaming.

I totally agree with you that my post was not really useful, but this Forum has a lot of very competent users which do not visit on a daily basis. So I often start conversations with new people to help them feel recognized and prevent "hello is there anyone here?" Posts 24h later.
As said above I would assume the Hydra vision user base rather small. So small that the chance of someone passing by and presenting a perfect solution is way smaller than the chance of you giving up the hope for a reply. As hard as it sounds :(
I might be wrong on that though.