Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 04:56

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: 28 Sep 2013, 08:23 

I don't believe it's a problem with mDP -> DP. The signal doesn't change and it would likely affect all monitors at a time.

I'd be more inclined to look at the DP -> DVI conversion. AFAIK it goes from a passive signal to an active (timed) signal. For that same reason that nearly all GPUs would only support any combination of up to 2 DVI/HDMI mixes. HDMI = DVI + sound/network, at least signal wise.

I don't suppose either of you is in a position to test the hub with DP connections to 3 monitors?

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2013, 17:54 

I believe Defcoms is using the hub with DP monitors and isn't having a problem. If I had three DP monitors I would just use them but the point is the beauty of DP MST hubs is that they are a solution to the only 2 clock signals per video card limitation. The hub actually provides the timing for the devices connected to it instead of the card so you can run 3 monitors of any type from each DP on the card and it it doesn't use up a clock signal. Currently with my configuration the video card is outputing NO clock signal as it onlys sees a DP connection which doens't require one. Also I tested the hub with only one monitor plugged into it and no other connections to the card and it wtill has the blacking out issue. When I use the other port on the card to run a monitor with a passive hdmi adapter that monitor functions perfectly, only the monitor connected to the hub has problems.

P.S. Oliverman3, it seems I am still having the same issues as before. It slowed down a bit at first but now I am back to the same frequency as before I swapped hubs. I am in contact with Club 3D and working it from my end. how are you faring?

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2013, 18:51 

Still the same for me It has slowed down but it's still happening from time to time.
I also tried one connection with the hub and the other two with mini dvi and dvi still lost the monitor connected to the hub.
also my hub only gets a little warm 92ºf not very hot at all.

I don't have dp monitors to test but really this product should support dp to dvi or it's pretty much useless.
Not many brands offer display ports.

And love my bezel-less LG LED IPS monitors I wouldn't want to have to switch monitors due to the hub.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2013, 18:46 

Frist let me say to Oliverman3, WOW I like those monitors, what model are they? And yes I agree with you that these hubs are supposed to allow us to use whatever monitorNow on to the good (bad) stuff...

"Thanks for your mail and sorry to hear about the problems you still got.
When we send the hub to you we extensively test it with our Samsung and Dell monitors, it worked with no problem here, plug and play we did 10 reboots.
So we do not think the issue is with the hub.
What we did not check is what passive cables you are using, can you let us know about that first?
Another issue can be the monitors, did you speak with Asus if your monitors are compatible with the MST hub?"

Now I'm going to get the numbers off my adapters to send them but I don't remeber reading anything anywhere about monitors needing to be compatible with MST hubs. I'm also going to ask them if these monitors are DP monitors that they are using the HDMI or DVI connection on. I don't think a "dumb" monitor cares where the signal it is getting comes from, just that is is the correct format for the cable connection. It sure seems to me the signal interupt would have to be an issue with the device CREATING that signal. It may just be me but wouldn't it would be a little hard for manufacturers to have current monitors tested since these are the first adapters to hit the market and have only been out a few months.

On the troubleshooting side, the new hub they sent has actually started blanking 2 monitors at a time now, occasionally. Again, I have NO monitor drop when rebooting, just while using them. Any new troubleshooting data from anyone out there?

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2013, 19:00 

They're LG 22EA63T-P they make a larger one as well.
Let me just say even though they don't have a bezel they do have like a 1/4" black area around the screen it doesn't completely display to the edge but it's the closest I could find.

I've tested mine with the LG monitors above and my sons Hans-G monitors and APOC monitors all with the same problem.
I've also used DELL DP++ DP to DVI adapters and ACCELL DP++ to DVI adapters on the hub to monitor side.
On the mini dp to dp side I'm using a Club-3d adapter that I ordered from them.

I'm sure most monitors don't say specifically that they support mst hubs since there's only one out at the moment :)

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2013, 22:14 

I'm still losing monitors here and there going in and out of games.
No real input from support. Maybe they'll eventually figure it out but for now if you do not have display port monitors I would stay away from this product unless you can deal with losing monitors here and there.
A quick switch of resolution then back to your original will reset the lost monitor but it's annoying.

A cool test would be WSGF sending one around to people here and seeing just how many have failures on the various systems.
Then document all of the hardware configurations.

I'd hate to see a kid save for buggy hardware just to waste $160 on something that does not work as it should.
I've spent well over $400 on the hub and replacing adapters that ship from Europe.

I'd donate to see the results and help others.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2013, 04:08 
Editors
Editors

So this only happens with adapters ? active or passive adapters non the less?

The problem with your idea would be that 1. WSGF does not have a MST hub. and 2. Shipping this thing around the globe would be around 10-30$ per time. so after shipping 5 times you would have the original price.
Way to expensive.
WSGF members are all around the Globe.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2013, 15:18 

Haldi wrote:
So this only happens with adapters ? active or passive adapters non the less?

The problem with your idea would be that 1. WSGF does not have a MST hub. and 2. Shipping this thing around the globe would be around 10-30$ per time. so after shipping 5 times you would have the original price.
Way to expensive.
WSGF members are all around the Globe.

That's how it seems but the pool of people using it here is pretty small to really say.
1 out of 3 people have no issues and that one person just happens to have DP monitors while the other two have adapters.

Yeah I know probably to expensive to work unless club 3d can send test one and someone has a pool of friends close by with eyefinity setups.
or volunteers in neighboring states pass it to the next state/person. Maybe there's enough members right in the Netherlands to do some testing?
It's strange that Club-3d doesn't see this issue in their testing.

I bet 90% of people don't have DP monitors and if the hub doesn't work with adapters it's pretty much useless.
Maybe I can work out a deal with club-3d and try one more set of adapters that I get from them.

They should have the hub I returned Monday or Tuesday so maybe that will help them.

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2013, 18:41 

Well WLD13 I'm not sure if support has told you that they think the problem may be caused by the settings on the hub never getting reset since it's always on power You may want to try putting the hub on your surge protector and powering it off when you shut down your computer or after you reboot.

I don't really think that's the issue for me though since I do have the hub on my computers surge protector and I do power everything down when I shut my computer down.
I'm lazy I don't feel like powering on and off 3 monitors so my monitors the hub and the computer are all on one surge protector.

Next time I lose one I'll try power cycling the hub and see what that does.

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2013, 13:05 

Well this work around seems to be working:Image
Kind of cheesy that I have to power cycle the hub any time the machine is rebooted.
The Christmas tree foot pedal makes it quick though.

I'm really curious to hear if it had any affect with WLD13 since he was having more losses then I have. So far I have not lost a monitor in 3 days when manually power cycling the hub any time I reboot.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next